Metro Birmingham Projects List

ironchapman

• 3 weeks later...

Renasant Bank is to add their logo to the Park Place Tower in Downtown. There are also planning on renovating 22,0000 square feet within the top floors of the building to locate their headquarters. This is relocation from Grandview Parkway in Northern Shelby County to the City Center. In addition, there will be 55 jobs moved to Park Place Tower also. This will increase the City Center office occupancy to 91%.

• 2 weeks later...

Parliament House Implosion

The Parlaiment House had its final curtain call this morning. Here is the new story and video clip from the Birmingham News. Did anyone see the event in person? While this place ha an interesting history, I'd have to agree that it's time was past. The loss of the brise soleil screen did not improve the appearance of the building.

The Birmingham News- al.com

^ Thanks for the video link, tom! I admit that I am glad to see that suburban 1960s eyesore gone, but it looks like UAB doesn't have any plans for the property yet. Hopefully whatever is built there will complement recent urban infill in the area.

Pre-implosion article from the Birmingham News: Parliament House, colorful city hotel, ready to check out

Parliament House back in its heyday

ParliamentHouse.JPG

Parliament House Implosion

The Parlaiment House had its final curtain call this morning.[...] Did anyone see the event in person?

i watched from the top of the kirklin clinic parking deck - eight stories (i think) up and a block away. the implosion drew a diverse crowd - perhaps watching stuff get blown up is one of the only events left in our culture that can unite people from all walks of life, from emo kids to homeless sketchbombs to families with children. many viewed the bang from the liberty national parking deck or the roof of the kirklin clinic itself (i guess the latter had some permission to get up there at 7 a.m. on a sunday - news crews mostly shot from the kirklin roof, as well as the deck where i was standing.)

it was interesting and loud. the wind was strong - my guess is in the 20-30 mph range - and that helped dispel the debris cloud quickly. i'm glad i wasn't atop the liberty national deck, because the cloud went straight for those guys like a swarm of hornets.

it was interesting to watch the narrow south wall separate from the rest of the structure and collapse at an outward slant toward the street. it nearly took out a light pole and, from where i was watching, appeared to land partially on the sidewalk. a day later, that area looked okay, so i guess it was just my untrained eye.

i like to think that i can stand in greater awe of the things mankind does to bring ideas into existence, as opposed to just blowing matter back to unformed chaos, but i have to admit watching (and hearing) that structure collapse was an impressive moment.

• 3 weeks later...

I sure hope that Langford is right about this being the beginning of new jobs coming to the city. I hope that we can keep the job market in the city diverse, but I want a lot of research jobs so that we could possibly get a big, nice research park.

is expanding its operations and will bring 100 new jobs to the former Saks location in the city.

Brookwood is headquartered on Tom Martin Drive in Oxmoor and currently has 80 jobs. The Southern Research Institute spinoff was purchased for $62 million last August by Minnesota-based SurModics Inc.

When the purchase was announced, SurModics said Brookwood would remain in Birmingham. Birmingham Economic Development Director Tracey Morant Adams said the city worked for several months to land the expansion project.

"This is just the beginning of the new jobs coming to Birmingham," Mayor Larry Langford said. "Research has shown the real job growth comes from existing business and Brookwood Pharmaceuticals is a great example of that."

In late 2005, Brookwood split from the nonprofit Southern Research Institute. It provides technologies that help deliver therapeutic drugs into the body to treat ailments, including diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.

Brookwood earned $12.7 million in revenue in 2006, according to a news release. It generates revenue from research and development fees, polymer sales and royalty generating licenses.

Every little bit helps. Looking forward to seeing what Langford can do with this city over the next few years.

I took a photo of the Leer yesterday.. it's not ready for occupancy.. windows still all missing with curtains blowing in the wind.. heres a photopost-9219-1205608445_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Culinard Cafe at Innovation Depot is set to open on May 12. It will be a serves pastas, salads, sandwiches, coffees, pre-faxed meal to-go, and 22 different varieties of gelatos. This is the cafe will be the relocation of the Bakery and Cafe at the Culinard on Vulcan Road, which is being convert back into kitchen classroom space. The Cafe' will be located on 1st Avenue North, primarily to serve downtown workers, but will have the capability to serve residents also.

An awesome addition to the City Center's variety of eateries. :)

Plans have even been drawn to possibly open a cafe' at the Palisades itself since the retail centers' most recent revitalization and with new activity.

http://www.aigbaker.com/properties_AL_wildwood.asp

My apology if this was already posted, but I can't remember. I hope that we will get some stores that are new to the area. I think the Lakeshore-Oxmoor Valley-Ross Bridge area will take off when the economy gets better, and much of that is in the city of Birmingham which is a very positive outlook.

Now I'm wondering and speculating whom is coming to Wildwood? I've heard Target get thrown around, but besides them that's it.

That would be great, but I don't think that portion is going to be large enough for a Target, an electonics store, a home store, and an apparel store...the space is only app 180,000 square feet. I can see HH Gregg, or Best Buy since they are expanding rapidly across the area. I think Linen N Things, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, World Market, or Kirklands for the home store, and a host of retailers for the apparel store.

The did mention that a potential department store could open there. I think the new portion will have to be well over 180,000 sq. ft if a department store was to open there. If one did open there though, JCPenney, Sears, or Kohls are probably the choices to locate there.

That would be funny though if a Target and Wal Mart were in the same center, and with K Mart right up the street. I still think that we need a midtown Target somewhere though...ahem,urban store off of 280... ahem ahem between Colonial Bank and the Birmingham Zoo...ahem. Excuse me. :silly:

That would be great, but I don't think that portion is going to be large enough for a Target, an electonics store, a home store, and an apparel store...the space is only app 180,000 square feet. I can see HH Gregg, or Best Buy since they are expanding rapidly across the area. I think Linen N Things, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, World Market, or Kirklands for the home store, and a host of retailers for the apparel store.

The did mention that a potential department store could open there. I think the new portion will have to be well over 180,000 sq. ft if a department store was to open there. If one did open there though, JCPenney, Sears, or Kohls are probably the choices to locate there.

That would be funny though if a Target and Wal Mart were in the same center, and with K Mart right up the street. I still think that we need a midtown Target somewhere though...ahem,urban store off of 280... ahem ahem between Colonial Bank and the Birmingham Zoo...ahem. Excuse me. :silly:

Yeah, the word about a Target location within the I-459 belt has been mentioned from the Colonial Brookwood Convienence Center, along Lakeshore Parkway, and the Wildwood Centre. However, whereever it winds up being built one can only hope it is soon.

Oh yeah, we can already mark off Linens 'N' Things for the new part of Wildwood because they just filed for bankruptcy and will be closing their Mobile store. Maybe just maybe the new department store is a JCPenny because they owe us another location since they moved the store and drastically downgraded from Century Plaza to the Pinnacle at Tutwiler Farms. The closest JCPenney to the City Center now is in Fultondale, which doesn't open until August.

Some miscellaneous updates:

2600 Highland (Condos) are nearly complete with landscaping done. The recently-completed Capri condominiums nearby have been purchased from bankruptcy and are being marketed again.

A major expansion of BPA Parking Deck #3 broke ground last week downtown, which is a critical component of the planned Marriott Renaissance Hotel in the Regions Plaza Building.

Major construction projects at UAB & St Vincents Hospitals are proceeding, and the City Council approved $20 million in tax abatements to jump-start a major expansion at Children's Hospital.

Announcements are expected soon in the recruitment of Solvay Pharmaceuticals (Birmingham) and Volkswagen (north Alabama)

I haven't heard any recent news from Leer Corp (Leer Tower), Melaver (Fed. Reserve), Corp. Realty Dev. (Standard Midtown & Block 121), Performa (The Forge), Michael Roberts (A. G. Gaston Motel), Iron City (Restoration Edgewood) or 29Seven LLC (29 Seven)

• 3 weeks later...

Some miscellaneous updates:

2600 Highland (Condos) are nearly complete with landscaping done. The recently-completed Capri condominiums nearby have been purchased from bankruptcy and are being marketed again.

A major expansion of BPA Parking Deck #3 broke ground last week downtown, which is a critical component of the planned Marriott Renaissance Hotel in the Regions Plaza Building.

Major construction projects at UAB & St Vincents Hospitals are proceeding, and the City Council approved $20 million in tax abatements to jump-start a major expansion at Children's Hospital.

Announcements are expected soon in the recruitment of Solvay Pharmaceuticals (Birmingham) and Volkswagen (north Alabama)

I haven't heard any recent news from Leer Corp (Leer Tower), Melaver (Fed. Reserve), Corp. Realty Dev. (Standard Midtown & Block 121), Performa (The Forge), Michael Roberts (A. G. Gaston Motel), Iron City (Restoration Edgewood) or 29Seven LLC (29 Seven)

I am so anxious for these projects to get underway and completed, but my favorites(most concerned projects that I want to see) are the Melaver project, Standard Midtown, Block 121, The Forge, A.G.Gaston, and Solvay.

Also, 29Seven project needs to come for sure. Lakeview is a very attractive area, and with more residential there, the better it will be. I just wish a couple of midrisers would locate there...giving it it's own little skyline with a lake there.

Also, 29Seven project needs to come for sure. Lakeview is a very attractive area, and with more residential there, the better it will be. I just wish a couple of midrisers would locate there...giving it it's own little skyline with a lake there.

You're proposing a lake, too?

• 1 month later...

Well, here's an update on the Marriott Renaissance hotel that is to be located in the former Regions Plaza building downtown is on schedule. The designing phase of soon going to be wrapping up, and construction on turning the structure into a hotel is to begin at the end of September.

Also the new Colonial Promenade Tannerhill in Bessemer is finally open. It is anchored by Target, Publix, JCPenney, and Premier Cinemas 20-screen multiplex. Most of the stores there have already had "soft openings" in past 2 weeks, but the official grand opening of the center is here.

• 5 months later...

Ok here is a little project that could turn large but none the less cool and significant.

The Cheyenne Diner, a classic New York City diner, located at 33rd St. and Ninth Ave. was saved from demolition when an Alabama buyer purchased the diner to move it Birmingham. Alabama businessman Joel Owens purchased the diner and will move it by flatbed in two sections from Manhattan. He will restore the diner and plans to add a classic car museum and special events venue. The diner attracted Jerry Lewis and David Letterman during its heyday. There are only about 70 nationwide railroad car-style diners left and this maybe the first for Alabama.

New York City diner to move to Alabama

bilde-1.jpg

The Cheyenne Diner, a classic New York City diner, located at 33rd St. and Ninth Ave. was saved from demolition when an Alabama buyer purchased the diner to move it Birmingham. Alabama businessman Joel Owens purchased the diner and will move it by flatbed in two sections from Manhattan. He will restore the diner and plans to add a classic car museum and special events venue. The diner attracted Jerry Lewis and David Letterman during its heyday. There are only about 70 nationwide railroad car-style diners left and this maybe the first for Alabama.

That's cool, brad! It looks like Owens may put it out in the eastern area, but it would really be great to see it somewhere around downtown.

That's cool, brad! It looks like Owens may put it out in the eastern area, but it would really be great to see it somewhere around downtown.

It is cool. That's a type of place I could frequent. It would be much more suited for downtown. Especially to checkout some classic cars. Would be cool to make the venue a live music venue but sounds like it may just be for rent.

Edited by brad0022

I read about this in the paper and wouldn't be surprised if it landed somewhere in Leeds near the Bass Pro Shop and Barber Motorsports. I would really like to see it downtown though...

I can definitely see that. Nice little place to meet up before and after races. The classic car museum would complement the Barber museum nicely. I can see this as possibly being more economical. Although it still would fit in downtown over freestanding or attached to a shopping center.