Metro Birmingham Projects List

ironchapman

Looks like finally the Cherry Ave-Coalburg Rd section of I-22 made it through the letting period without being withdrawn. Maybe the bid will actually be awarded so work can begin on that segment.

Also important to note that $8 million more was recently secured for the Northern Beltline.

ALDOT doesn't do transit, NOW, but sooner than later the movement to get an improved mass transit system in Greater Birmingham will come to fruitation.  Basically, as some point those "oldheads" in Montgomery will died off and those who left will realize that t Birmingham can't remain as an automobile-oriented city if it want to revitalize its urban core.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope it happens sooner rather than later. B'ham missed the boat when MAPS failed in the 90s. If local leaders can get their heads together, Sen. Shelby can get the necessary federal money.

I hope it happens sooner rather than later.  B'ham missed the boat when MAPS failed in the 90s.  If local leaders can get their heads together, Sen. Shelby can get the necessary federal money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the Spring legislative session having the bill to fund mass transit making out of the House with being killed proves that it just a matter of time. I have always say it not a matter of if, but a matter of when mass transit will be improved and made into a regional mass transit for Greater Birmingham. :)

• 3 weeks later...

300 new mixed-income units have been approved for the area around the Civil Rights District. 100 or so would be available for those needing rent assistance. The remaining units would be available at market price. This will be Phase II of the Hope VI project in BHM. Pennrose Properties LLC (Philadelphia) and Formation Methods LLC (Birmingham) were the master developers chosen to work on the project.

300 new mixed-income units have been approved for the area around the Civil Rights District.  100 or so would be available for those needing rent assistance.  The remaining units would be available at market price.  This will be Phase II of the Hope VI project in BHM.  Pennrose Properties LLC (Philadelphia) and Formation Methods LLC (Birmingham) were the master developers chosen to work on the project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent news. I trust that these will be built to the same design standards of those further east.

I hope so, because those were particularly well done. What a difference they've made replacing those depressing old projects. Hopefully our other Big 4 housing authorities would follow Birmingham's lead in replacing these awful projects with real neighborhoods.

Hey guys, does anyone have an update on the proposed dome stadium near the civic center? I know that the BJCC bought up all the needed land to get it done, but still had some financial ground to cover. Also, does anyone have any other info on the tower that I read in an earlier post that is proposed in downtown Birmingham? I think someone said that it was a submittal to the FAA for a proposed 675-700 ft tower for downtown B'ham or something similar.

Hey guys, does anyone have an update on the proposed dome stadium near the civic center?  I know that the BJCC bought up all the needed land to get it done, but still had some financial ground to cover.  Also, does anyone have any other info on the tower that I read in an earlier post that is proposed in downtown Birmingham?  I think someone said that it was a submittal to the FAA for a proposed 675-700 ft tower for downtown B'ham or something similar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were two proposals for towers. One about 800ft and the other about 675ft. The 800ft tower proposal has been scrapped or at the very least put on the backburner because they realized the market for that type of building isnt here yet. The 675ft tower is still a real proposal I think, but havent heard anything new on it. There's supposedly a 27-story tower that's closer to reality than the 675ft tower, however. We'll keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Large 50 to 60 million condo/mixed use project is going to take the place of 3 old apartment complexes in Clairmont. The 3 complexes containg 180 or so units will be razed to make way for multiple midrise condo buildings and retail overlooking Highland Golfcourse. Unit prices 300 to 900's.