Metro Birmingham Projects List

ironchapman

Tutwiler + Hampton Inn??

Someone please tell me that this article is incorrect. I can't possibly see the Tutwiler becoming a Hapmpton Inn....I just can't. Article from the Sun Herald

Is this some kind of sick joke?

The article is correct...it is being converted to a Hampton Inn, but it has been said that the historic decor of the hotel will remain intact.

- Birmingham's famous Tutwiler Hotel has been purchased and there are plans for more than $5M in renovations to the historic hotel.

- New Orleans Confederate Motor Co. (a high-dollar motorcycle designer and manufacturer) has opted to relocate to downtown Birmingham... primarily as a result of the proximity to the world-class Barber Vintage Motorsports Park and Museum.

I am really nervous that they might change the Tutwier for the worse I like it like it is. Any ideas on what the 5M will be used for B85. I hope they don't touch any of the outside,

Theis is a rare and beautiful building in the SOuth. One of my fav's for it's historic worth

A2

(BTW UAB is rocking this year. The win against Memphis was HUGE !!!)

- Birmingham's famous Tutwiler Hotel has been purchased and there are plans for more than $5M in renovations to the historic hotel.

- New Orleans Confederate Motor Co. (a high-dollar motorcycle designer and manufacturer) has opted to relocate to downtown Birmingham... primarily as a result of the proximity to the world-class Barber Vintage Motorsports Park and Museum.

Not quite sure what the $5M is for... I would think mostly interior fixes. New paint, carpet, etc. Structurally, the building is fine to my knowledge, so it would be mostly aesthetic type things on the inside I would think.

As for UAB, that's right... GO BLAZERS!! Finally getting some recognition, too, with a Top 25 ranking.

-Major earth-moving has begun in preparation for the Colonial Promenade Fultondale (just north of the Birmingham city limits). The work can be easily seen (just east of I-65). Fultondale also just announced plans for a new hotel (La Quinta Inn) and a restaurant (Whataburger) that will be constructed just off the Walkers Chapel Rd exit as well.

- The 2 buildings making up the Federal Reserve building in Birmingham will be renovated. Also, the developers plan to build at least a 14-story hotel/office building on the property behind the Federal Reserve building. Site is at around 4th-5th Avenue North and 18th Street North. Estimated cost: $40 million

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- The Birmingham International Airport has announced plans to spend $161 million expanding the airport terminal. There's currently another $130 million in other airport projects being worked on at the moment (including a new air cargo facility, 2,000ft runway expansion, etc etc).

- Two big retail projects on Birmingham's north side getting ready to move into high-gear. Site prep work has begun in Fultondale for the Colonial Promenade Fultondale. Also, work is about to begin on Gardendale's multi-million dollar mixed-use project called Caufield Square.

Pics of the new mixed use buildings going at Homewood gardens Apts.

1.12.06%20PERSPECTIVE%20oxmoor%20road.jpg

1.12.06%20ELEVATION%2019th%20looking%20E.jpg

birdseye%20sketch%202.17.06%20FULLSCAN.jpg

birdseye%2019th%202.28.06%20FULLSCAN.jpg

elevation%20east%20ctyd%20looking%20north%202.17.06.jpg

- The 2 buildings making up the Federal Reserve building in Birmingham will be renovated. Also, the developers plan to build at least a 14-story hotel/office building on the property behind the Federal Reserve building. Site is at around 4th-5th Avenue North and 18th Street North. Estimated cost: $40 million

When is this 14 story Fed Reserve building supposed to be constructed? Sometimes I feel like I hear of new buildings being constructed in the news and thats the last you hear. Two years ago they announced a 7-story condo building in Lakeview and I have neither seen or heard of anything since.

-Alabama State Highway 160 at Interstate 65 (Northern Metro) will be widened from 2-lanes to 5-lanes in the near future. This was already scheduled to happen, but deadly accidents on the road have encouraged Gov. Riley to speed up the process. Look for that to spur even more commercial and residential growth in one of the fastest-growing areas of the metro.

Edited by Blazer85

-Alabama State Highway 160 at Interstate 65 (Northern Metro) will be widened from 2-lanes to 5-lanes in the near future. This was already scheduled to happen, but deadly accidents on the road have encouraged Gov. Riley to speed up the process. Look for that to spur even more commercial and residential growth in one of the fastest-growing areas of the metro.

How far will be widened? From the interstate to Hayden?

Tutwiler + Hampton Inn??

Someone please tell me that this article is incorrect. I can't possibly see the Tutwiler becoming a Hapmpton Inn....I just can't. Article from the Sun Herald

Is this some kind of sick joke?

It is very true. But it will continue to be the Tutwiler Hotel and will be better than ever. The eighth floor will be finished out to include corporate suites and a breakfast dining area. The other guest room floors will get new finishes and hallway lighting.

• 2 weeks later...

A few new proposals:

- A 6-story $25M hotel has been proposed for the Southside off 20th Street.

- A 16-story $125M mixed-use project has been proposed for Southside off 20th Street.

Is the 6 story hotel to replace old motor hotel south of University?

Do you know which block on 20th street the 16 story mixed use will be built and its schedule?

Is the 6 story hotel to replace old motor hotel south of University?

Do you know which block on 20th street the 16 story mixed use will be built and its schedule?

The hotel south of Univ Blvd which you speak of is being replaced... but it's not this development. The 6 and 16-story buildings proposed here will both be north of Univ Blvd. There will, however, be a 7-story hotel built to replace the hotel you speak of.

From what I can tell, it will be bound by 20th Street South, Richard Arrington Blvd, 1st Avenue South, and 2nd Avenue South... at least that was my understanding. Construction is expected to begin later this year and be completed maybe a year later or so.

Not quite sure what the $5M is for... I would think mostly interior fixes. New paint, carpet, etc. Structurally, the building is fine to my knowledge, so it would be mostly aesthetic type things on the inside I would think.

As for UAB, that's right... GO BLAZERS!! Finally getting some recognition, too, with a Top 25 ranking.

It will definately retain its name and image but the improvements will make the hotel better than ever.

The exterior of the building will remain untouched except for paint and some exterior lighting upgrades, which will actually better reflect the age of the hotel.

The first floor will remain unchanged except of some renovations at the front desk area.

Floors 2 through 7 will get new finishes, paint, wallpaper, carpet and the corridors will get new lighting.

The 8th floor was never finished out from the 1986 renovation. The floor is to be completely finished with a breakfast dining area, excercise room and 14 new suites.