Metro Birmingham Projects List

ironchapman

From last I heard, the Railroad Park is still in it planning stages until August (at the earliest). The actual movement of dirt and whatnot won't occur until Fall at the earliest also.

The first phase is primarily dirt moving, building the lake and streams, etc.... basically just site work. From my understanding, I thought the site work plans were pretty much set and that the remaining planning had to deal with the latter stages of development. Either way, I hope we start seeing some dirt moved by at LEAST this fall.

• 2 weeks later...

I was briefly in town yesterday and was pleased to see the SSA Building, 2600 Highland and The Capri moving along nicely. SSA is really working in adding to the skyline, and I cannot wait to see the completed, LEED-certified product :thumbsup:

I was also more than pleased to see that real site prep has begun for the Infants & Women's Hospital at UAB and the progression of the new classroom building on University.

One question though, is Gables at Glen Iris project at 10th Avenue South and 10th Place South on hold? I went by and there was significant construction, but it looked like no work had been done on it in a while...

The Glen Iris Neighborhood Association gave the go-ahead for a second large condo development in their neighborhood. The development will be 4 stories tall and will bring 44 new residential units to the Birmingham market. The earlier project is expected to be complete by this October. Both will probably be very successful... especially with its proximity to UAB.

• 2 weeks later...

AVONDALE RESURGENCE

The former Avondale Bricks building is being converted into office condos. I'm glad to see what's going on downtown seeming to spill over into other areas of Birmingham... it only makes sense.

79534-400-0.jpg

In about a 17-block area around here, there are about $3.1-million in other projects (mostly renovations or conversions).

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stor...7300800^1450448

Edited by Blazer85

^^^That is interesting because I was considering moving to Avondale before I made the decision on settling on being in the Downtown or Midtown areas. Avondale is right there with Forest Park, Redmont, Altamont, and Highland Park area, so revitalization was bound to occur soon than later. Maybe if the whole community gets revitalized, they'll be able to reopen that large school that is/was visible I-20/59 in the 31st Street area.

^^^That is interesting because I was considering moving to Avondale before I made the decision on settling on being in the Downtown or Midtown areas. Avondale is right there with Forest Park, Redmont, Altamont, and Highland Park area, so revitalization was bound to occur soon than later. Maybe if the whole community gets revitalized, they'll be able to reopen that large school that is/was visible I-20/59 in the 31st Street area.

Have you looked into places you might want to live once youre back from over there?

Have you looked into places you might want to live once youre back from over there?

At this point, the short list is Park Place (with my sister), The Highlands at Clairmont, or The Highlands Apartments Southside. I'm leaning towards Park Place because of the sweet deal being presented to us, its proximity to downtown and the Entertainment District @ BJCC, its walkability, and it quick access to any freeway for out-of-town trips.

At this point, the short list is Park Place (with my sister), The Highlands at Clairmont, or The Highlands Apartments Southside. I'm leaning towards Park Place because of the sweet deal being presented to us, its proximity to downtown and the Entertainment District @ BJCC, its walkability, and it quick access to any freeway access for out-of-town trips.

That'd be my vote too. Park Place is an amazing development and a brilliant move by all parties involved in making it happen. I would have loved to see something similar on the west side of the CBD (near the Civil Rights District). Oh well... that's a whole other story.

• 4 weeks later...

AVONDALE RESURGENCE

The former Avondale Bricks building is being converted into office condos. I'm glad to see what's going on downtown seeming to spill over into other areas of Birmingham... it only makes sense.

79534-400-0.jpg

In about a 17-block area around here, there are about $3.1-million in other projects (mostly renovations or conversions).

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stor...7300800^1450448

I live one block from here on 2nd Ave. S. between 42-43rd Streets. I LOVE the area/neighborhood/convenience!!! I think another seven-ten years this strip (beautiful downtown Avondale) will be a lively, interesting village scene.

Wow... this month's ONB newsletter is a good one. A few notes that stuck out to me...

- Java and Jams, a new coffee house offering live music, will be open by late May. It will be next to the Mexican Grill at 5th and 20th Street North. The owner promises it will be open evenings and weekends.

- Downtown has now met the "critical population mass" needed for a new grocery store. ONB is currently in discussions with several grocery companies.

- ONB has received a grant from the Alabama Historic Commission that will allow them to proceed with putting the Norwood neighborhood on the National Register of Historic Places.

There's alot more great stuff in this month's newsletter (much of it a recap of news already posted here), but if you'd like to read it, go here: http://www.yourcitycenter.com/syngergy/synergy0303.pdf

It's about time for Downtown to meet the critical mass for a grocer. The last figures I saw was something like 20K for Downtown residential population and 102K daytime population. I'm hoping for a Publix to be built in the City Center after seeing the urban stores they have built in Atlanta and Miami. They make some of the most architectural beautiful stores I've seen of any grocer that builds in urban areas.

boost boost boost. man, i love birmingham.

the grocery store thing downtown is just the biggest deal to me. it's such a milestone for downtown birmingham - i have to say it again - Downtown BIRMINGHAM - to finally reach a population density sufficient to woo a store. does anyone have a general idea of when this part of town last supported a grocery? 40 years? 30?

there's so much poppin' in that ONB bulletin. thanks for posting it. i think it's really cool that ONB is doing preliminary work to have norwood placed on the national historic register. if norwood undergoes any significant redevelopment, it could really alter north bham dramatically for the better. seems like something that can't be done quickly, though.

Edited by convulso

You know, it just seems to me, that the city would be able to MORE than support ONE grocery store. Seems like more than one could be built, and it would still work out great. I'm sure more will be built after the new entertainment districts are up and runnin. :lol:

You know, it just seems to me, that the city would be able to MORE than support ONE grocery store. Seems like more than one could be built, and it would still work out great. I'm sure more will be built after the new entertainment districts are up and runnin. :lol:

The "city" certainly can... but this is downtown we're talking about. For years now, the downtown core has not had a large residential population. There's a large influx of workers during the day obviously, but not many residing in the downtown core itself. That's why this is such big news. We knew it was coming at some point, but I'm glad to hear we've surpassed that critical mass now.

The "city" certainly can... but this is downtown we're talking about. For years now, the downtown core has not had a large residential population. There's a large influx of workers during the day obviously, but not many residing in the downtown core itself. That's why this is such big news. We knew it was coming at some point, but I'm glad to hear we've surpassed that critical mass now.

Haha, excuse my not being specific. Yea, I meant Downtown. I'm sure downtown could support two. Not of large size, that's for sure, but, you know, like a large corner market.

Sounds like the proposal for the Bass Pro shop, hotels, restaurants, and nature park in Leeds is a done deal. It's certainly taken long enough... about 6 years to be exact. I'm glad they resolved the issues though. These places are generally quite popular, and this one is going to be particularly unique with the nature park.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone has reported this or not. Bayer properties is starting to work on plans for the Pizitz Building. The builder is bidding out work for it already. Plans call for two floors to be added to the top. The first 3 stories will be retail, then a couple of floors of office space, then residential occupying the top floors and the two added floors. Plans call for a cafe, also bayer is in talks with Publix about a mid sized urban market in the first floor. I've seen the design and I'm not impressed with the look of the added floors, they are very modern but seems they need some more thought in order to tie it in with the old.

• 3 weeks later...

Corporate Realty today announced more details on some of their midtown projects. They showed some renderings of the Hyatt Place hotel they plan to build. Also, the city of Birmingham has agreed to an incentives package that would allow Corporate Realty to move forward on a mixed-use project that would take up a full city block on 20th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenue South. They plan to put 258 apartment units and about 18,000sqft of retail space. Not sure what else might be a part of the mixed-use development.

• 2 weeks later...

It's official, there will be an Applebee's to be opened in 5 Points West. The groundbreaking ceremony of the development by Quality Restaurants Concepts of Vestavia Hills was held last Friday. The restaurant will be open 4 months from now, and it will be the first major development in 5 Points West in a couple of years. This is another sign that the city is still a viable area for new developments regardless what the naysayers assume about this area.

It's official, there will be an Applebee's to be opened in 5 Points West. The groundbreaking ceremony of the development by Quality Restaurants Concepts of Vestavia Hills was held last Friday. The restaurant will be open 4 months from now, and it will be the first major development in 5 Points West in a couple of years. This is another sign that the city is still a viable area for new developments regardless what the naysayers assume about this area.

That's some pretty good news. People just need more options in downtown.

That's some pretty good news. People just need more options in downtown.

Oh they do. There are a number of local eateries and restaurants that are in the City Center. Also many of them are starting to stay open afterhours to accomodate the increasing residental population.

Oh they do. There are a number of local eateries and restaurants that are in the City Center. Also many of them are starting to stay open afterhours to accomodate the increasing residental population.

my wifes cousins friend was robbed at gunpoint the other day in 5 points south while walking a dog.