MPLS: The Carlyle

NorthStar

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Carlyle will be quite nice to look at, especially when coming across the river on the 3rd Avenue bridge. Something better to focus on besides that yucky RiverWest building (sorry, I think somebody here lives there).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree - it will look nice driving in - but I also know I'll be looking into someone's window. :blink: I'm in Rivergate Apartments so they're constructing right outside my window. Ah the joy...

But progress is inevitable.

It's been a nice 7 years here though. I think we're moving after this thing gets in our way though. One of the coolest things about living here was that it was fairly quiet and we have a great view of the Mississippi River. That's all going to change.

I may write an article about it though. Something positive now that I've accepted things better. Wrote a ticked off one for Skyway News at one point and ended up on the WCCO News over it. (Hate that whole thing) Time heals all wounds, though, and I'm trying to think positive.

I do still worry a little about the aesthetics however (t's just going to stick out so much on that corner - obviously) and I also worry about losing more of the property along the river just so we can get more property tax money. Many of the buyers there won't even be living there, but are purchasing condos as an investment.

On an up note, maybe they'll put a skyway through Rivergate and my little girl and I can bypass coats and boots this winter. :D

Glad I found this group. Thanks for letting do my mixed-emotion vent. You'd never know I write for a living....

just be glad you are a renter and can walk away from your unit when the Carlye destroys your view.  Imagine how it will be when some of the new developments obscure the views of condos costing $500,000 or more...yikes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are so right. I forgot that many people across the river were against this. It's sure going to stick out...

It is going to be hard to leave here though. It's been home for seven years, since my little girl was one. It's also hard to leave downtown in general. I've been downtown for 19 years, since I was 20. But there's no way a middle income single mom is going to afford to stay in the city either renting or buying.

Therefore, I'm going to enjoy it for all it's worth while I'm still here. :-)

If your against tall buildings, buy a damn farmhouse and leave downtown. Like these people didn't know that a building over 5 floors would someday sprout up downtown and alter or change their view. <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW! you don't have to mean! She is just lamenting the fact that she can't afford to buy downtown and will be forced to move from a home she has had for 7 years. I hate the attitude that if you don't like something "you should just move". Perhaps if you don't like the fact that people fight developments downtown --you should move!

I bet the Carlye residents would try and fight a high rise that gets built on the post office site -- it is human nature to want to protect what you have. I guess they should move to a far m too?

I agree that you can't expect to live downtown and not have tall buildings. Downtown is always going to be changing and growing. Although the Carlyle will seem tall now, in ten years it might be surrounded by tall buildings. Just look at Grant Park --currently it is an Island off to itself, but a total 5 buildings of over 15 stories are proposed around it. And, the reality is that you don't own your view.

However, I think developers are pushing the limits on height in neighborhoods around the fringe and along the river. Almost every high-rise development near downtown Minneapolis has required special zoning waivers to get built. What is the point of zoning if it never gets enforced?

• 1 month later...

I think the concept of zoning is good, but seriously, why should anyone be opposed to going higher. There should be a a limit on how short or little public use a building should have, not a max.

If there were zoning laws as strict as there are now they would have never built the IDS tower, citing that it would stick up all by itself.

• 1 month later...

If your against tall buildings, buy a damn farmhouse and leave downtown. Like these people didn't know that a building over 5 floors would someday sprout up downtown and alter or change their view. <_<

Whoah. Disappear and they attack... What exactly is your problem?!!!

I knew, OF COURSE, that downtown would be ever growing and changing. I just had some hope that they wouldn't sell out in this area in the name of collecting higher property tax $$$$$. Forget my losing my view of the river; it's just not going to fit right aesthetically over here.

I feel bad for the worker that died. I was getting my daughter ready for her first day of school when it happened. Helicopters, squad cars, firetrucks and amblances everywhere when we walked outside. As much as I cursed under my breath about the constant construction dust and noise, the "loud" silence that day really made me want that noise back. They have a great team there. They work very well together.

Anyhow, I went 60 day to 60 day on my lease now and I can say with all certainty that I will not be looking at farmhouses. This is one VERY urban person who really loves this city and intends to stay if she can.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I looked out my window today from my East Village apartment and was excited to see the construction site peaking overthe surrounding buildings. Counting the floors though I was a little disappointed. I realize now that when completed, it will not be as tall as I had imagined, but it will be a great site to see coming in from the 3rd Ave bridge.

it will not be as tall as I had imagined, but it will be a great site to see coming in from the 3rd Ave bridge.

I'm guessing it will be a little bit taller than the Churchill down the street. 39 stories, residential, really pares down what it would be if it was an office tower. I also think the renderings for Carlyle made it seem like it was on par with the IDS practically.

• 1 month later...

Archived