Cotuit

COPLEY STATION MODERNIZATION

Copley001.jpg

Copley002.jpg

Copley003.jpg

Copley004.jpg

Copley005.jpg

Project Description

Copley station is located in the heart of the Back Bay Historic District. As part of the Light Rail Accessibility Program, the station will see a number of upgrades. Since the inbound and outbound platforms are not connected, new elevators will be installed on both sides of Boylston Street. Additionally, the outbound headhouse will be replaced. Out of respect for the historic context of site, which is adjacent to the Boston Public Library, the New Old South Church, and the wrought-iron inbound headhouse from 1917, unobtrusive glass structures will be utilized for both the new headhouse and the two new elevator enclosures.

In addition, the existing public address system will be upgraded, new LED signage will be added, and the platforms will be raised to accommodate the new low-floor Green Line vehicles.

The architect is Graham Gund Architects, Inc.

From MBTA.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i haven't been to the coply station since i stayed at the lenox a few months ago. i think one of the elevators was installed but not opened. how's the progress on things there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it has progressed that much at all. I was there a couple of times on July 4th and didn't see anything different.

• 1 month later...

Why should anyone be so concerned about the historic context of the site? The Hancock Tower is an anchoring feature of the square and it is modern and beautiful. Only a part of the BPL is historc, the main building being a newer addition.

However, I don't like how obtrusive the Porter Square Redline headhouse is. There is a whole part of it that I can't explain. But these ancient subway stations, like Copley and Central, are low profile, and the plans I see here don't do any damage to the area.

Archived