Olympia Mill Village Updates

emerging.me

While this is not too far from the southern-most original city limit, THIS is NOT the core, nor it is particularly close to the core. This parcel is 1-2 miles from the Main Street core.

The ONLY reason Walmart is having to kiss the city's ring is because they own the land. Walmart can pick a parcel within a few feet of this one, and build a typical super center without any city approvals. The neighorhood would not be able to stop it. I haven't delved into the Richland Zoning code, but generally commercial development is allowed in an industrial zone.

How many strip centers have multi-level parking? How many shopping areas have multi-level parking in ALL of Columbia? Richland Mall is the only one that comes to my mind. The parking is totally interior to the site, and it provides walkability to the neighborhood and significant green space. McBee Station in Greenville has the same multi-level parking structure.

I would like to see an additional use added to the Olympia Walmart plan, but the market for either residential or office is very weak and/or nonexistant in that area.

Parking garages are very expensive, $10-20 k PER space. Do the math and multiply that out. The economics don't work except in very dense, urban, very expensive land cost situations. That is the polar OPPOSITE of Olympia. A struggling, economically deprived area that will remain that way, if totally unrealistic expectations are placed on any potential development.

The Mayor should sit down with Walmart and negotiate a better project, that he will put his political capital behind. That is what Joe Riley would do, and Benjamin doesn't need a change in the city charter to do the same. Instead, what will probably happen is 1) Walmart will build on a different parcel that is in the city, but isn't owed by the city OR 2) build nearby in RIchland County.

Olympia is an intown neighborhood, adjacent to the core. Development has steadily been spreading down that way (USC Greek Village, Aspyre, etc.) and is becoming more of a southern extension of the core.

Again, "multi-level parking" is a big misnomer. It's really just elevated surface parking and isn't some big game-changing element relative to other lifestyle centers/glorified strip malls.

Bad design, bad architecture, bad project. And saying "they'll just do it somewhere else so let this one pass" is a piss poor excuse for poor urban development IMO.

• Like 1

Olympia is an intown neighborhood, adjacent to the core. Development has steadily been spreading down that way (USC Greek Village, Aspyre, etc.) and is becoming more of a southern extension of the core.

Again, "multi-level parking" is a big misnomer. It's really just elevated surface parking and isn't some big game-changing element relative to other lifestyle centers/glorified strip malls.

Bad design, bad architecture, bad project. And saying "they'll just do it somewhere else so let this one pass" is a piss poor excuse for poor urban development IMO.

The only way a parking garage is built on this site or anywhere in Olympia is if the city or county pay for it, or most of it. That is whether Walmart builds, Target or Neiman Marcus. The economics of a pivate garage only work if you are talking about a 500,000 + sf mall. That is NOT going to happen.

The multi-level parking is the same structure as McBee Station, which everyone raves about. The only difference is the Walmart one is LARGER and providess MORE parking.

As for the architetcure, how is this architecture any different from Village at Sand Hills? It would be the most expensive 'architecture' in all of Olympia, that for sure.

You have to live in reality, this is not Buckhead. Olympia can improve, and this project ( with some reasonable adjustments) is the catalyst for improvement. If you block it, you stifle the community's potential. The unwelcome sign will be out and the development world will look elsewhere, especially considering this area is not on their map to begin with for the most part.

• Like 1

The only way a parking garage is built on this site or anywhere in Olympia is if the city or county pay for it, or most of it. That is whether Walmart builds, Target or Neiman Marcus. The economics of a pivate garage only work if you are talking about a 500,000 + sf mall. That is NOT going to happen.

The multi-level parking is the same structure as McBee Station, which everyone raves about. The only difference is the Walmart one is LARGER and providess MORE parking.

As for the architetcure, how is this architecture any different from Village at Sand Hills? It would be the most expensive 'architecture' in all of Olympia, that for sure.

You have to live in reality, this is not Buckhead. Olympia can improve, and this project ( with some reasonable adjustments) is the catalyst for improvement. If you block it, you stifle the community's potential. The unwelcome sign will be out and the development world will look elsewhere, especially considering this area is not on their map to begin with for the most part.

Thank you thank you and again thank you. you are 100% right. but you know what the problem is for Columbian's Change. they are afraid of it. im surpirsed the Innovista and Bull street project even start as they did. why this is so different now.

This Small walmart is no different from all the other projects being brought up in the Olympia Community now.

• 1 month later...

Here's a sketch and site plan of the proposed development:

610430_G.jpg

610438_G.jpg

For me, it's not so much about it being a Walmart per se and I'm not saying that the ballpark should be saved. It's all about the pitiful, suburban design. Your recommendation would be a big step in the right direction IMO.

Exactly.

The more they pass up the more company won't come to Columbia. and then later they will complaining about why there is no jobs growth in the city.

Simple answer you shouldn't passes up so many oppertunities.

That is absolutely false. Columbia is a large enough city that people want to do business there. Saying no to a bad site design is completely different than saying no to a company.

I think it's interesting to compare this to the Five Points South project where there was some resident opposition. It will be interesting to see how this process compares to that one, being that one of the main differences is that Shandon is not next door.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a lot of good points being thrown around here.

The root of the problem, IMO, is not the stacked parking lot/deck. I applaud the reduction of impervious surface and more compact parking lot design, even if it is the same amount as a typical suburban walmart.

The site plan, while not generic, is very suburban in style due to it's focus on cars. While Olympia is not a dense urban environment, any new projects need to be made pedestrian friendly.

• The site's side driveways should line up with the street grid.
  • Buffers are one of the biggest suburban design "treatment" that exists.
  • The sites buildings should have entrances that acknowledge the existing street grid, and they should not be so poorly designed that the residents wouldn't want to look at them.
  • Pedestrians were clearly an afterthought in this design. There should be both more and better connections to the streets in this design.
  • Who wants to drive to the second floor to go to a store?
  • The comparison to VAS is apt, though I would point out that despite VAS's flaws, it still lines up stores with varying setbacks at different architectural styles such that it appears more like a main street than conventional suburban development.

This site is not large enough to have a true mixed use development, but that doesn't mean it has to ignore the pedestrian. By lining up the buildings to wrap the deck with buildings and line the storefronts up to face the so-called "natural area" (and turn it into a small park) you would activate that space, give the neighborhood a place they can be proud of, and still provide the functionality that a walmart site needs to have.

I think that if this site is constructed as is, you will see 95% of cars jockeying for spaces on the lower level. Walmart parking lots are always overbuilt, and people are incredibly lazy. At least by creating a park, you might have a restaurant or something open up there that might encourage people to use the space for more than suburban shopping.

Also, this is going to be a nightmare on game days.

• 6 months later...

There's an article in today's "The State" about the relocation of the All Local Farmer's Market being relocated to a bigger space and on a far grander scale in Rosewood. However, apparently, Aramark, which had signed a lease with the developers of this project, have backed out. Emile DeFelice is a real mover and shaker and will get this done in a different location. If you have the time, read the article. This plan is sensational, and will make it a real cultural destination for the Columbia area. As an aside, I took the family to the State Farmer's Market recently, and it is a collosal dissapointment. This local's market will blow all the others away, when it settles in on a permanent location.

We went to the State Farmer's Market a few weekends ago. It looks terrible. The trees are dying and weeds are everywhere, and it's the worst use of land I've ever seen. And you simply can't get there from here. It'll be nice to get a big farmer's market back in Columbia.

• Like 1

We went to the State Farmer's Market a few weekends ago. It looks terrible. The trees are dying and weeds are everywhere, and it's the worst use of land I've ever seen. And you simply can't get there from here. It'll be nice to get a big farmer's market back in Columbia.

I would love to see them put a Famers back back on Assembly Street. like from the Corner of Gervais and Assembly down to the Taylor Street Intersection. right in the middle. they take all the parking away on assembly. widen the median so farmer cars and trucks can park and set up shop and The parking lot next to mellow mushroom they should build a 10 Story Garage to replace all that parking with retail on the lower levels.

thats my idea of what they should do as of putting a new farmers market in downtown

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It looks like Walmart turned down the Olympia Mills site.

http://www.thestate.com/2012/12/15/2556675/walmart-store-not-coming-to-downtown.html

I have to say I'm a little surprised because it's a great urban area, which is where they are looking to expand, and would do incredible business during the school year and especially football season. Now that we know it won't be a Walmart, any guesses on what it might become? Would Target build there with the Forest Drive store somewhat close? Costco and BJ's seem unlikely since they tend to locate in the suburbs and the only grocery chain not represented nearby seems to be Harris Teeter (which has not expanded that far south to my knowledge). The article notes that the purchase option expires in mid-January. If they let it lapse, would USC likely buy the land in a few years to create the continuous creek area outlined in the Master Plan?

http://www.facilities.sc.edu/downloads/master-plan.pdf

(Pages 16-19)

Edited by carolinagarnet

• 4 weeks later...

In news unrelated to Walmart, it looks like the lot in front of Olympia Mills will be converted into apartments.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/01/08/2581350/200-unit.html#.UOwmUkExFNkhttp://www.thestate.com/2013/01/08/2581350/200-unit.html#.UOwmUkExFNk

The mills have a combined 345 apartments on 20 acres, so it seems like this must be similar in stature with only 6 acres.

Going back to Walmart, has anyone heard anything about whether Bright-Meyers execute its option on the land? I am almost always in favor of selling government property to private companies when there are development opportunities, but in this case I hope the deal falls through so USC can develop the site into intramural fields in a larger greenway as envisioned in the USC Master Plan.

In news unrelated to Walmart, it looks like the lot in front of Olympia Mills will be converted into apartments.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/01/08/2581350/200-unit.html#.UOwmUkExFNkhttp://www.thestate.com/2013/01/08/2581350/200-unit.html#.UOwmUkExFNk

The mills have a combined 345 apartments on 20 acres, so it seems like this must be similar in stature with only 6 acres.

I remember when a proposal was made for a retail development for that parcel, but I believe the economic downturn put those plans on hold. Good to see interest renewed for that lot.

I remember when a proposal was made for a retail development for that parcel, but I believe the economic downturn put those plans on hold. Good to see interest renewed for that lot.

Hopefully this has some height to it. I know they said the corner would be a park I believe and there would be a small retail space (wonder where it will front). The roads definitely need to be tweaked in this area as a lot don't line up well and have poor lines of sight.

• 3 weeks later...

Olympia renderings and plans. I hope that the parking spots planned along Wayne Street has the option of being replaced with a parking garage and more apartments/retail in the future. It would be great to have all the roads lined with apartments and all the parking tucked away hidden in the middle.

http://columbia.sc.gov/cocextranet/assets/File/PlanningDevelopmentServices/BoardsCommisions/Agendas/PDS-PC-2013-02-04-PKT4-Wayne-Street-Site-Plan-Review.pdf

Considering that most of the traffic in the area seems to come from Assembly rather than Huger, it would probably be better to have the parking face in the other direction. Still, this building looks fantastic and will be a vast improvement over the current parking lot. It's interesting that the city is not requiring more parking given that, as the article noted, the spaces do not meet the design requirements.

• 3 weeks later...