Olympia Mill Village Updates

emerging.me

• 4 months later...

Plans are underway for an expansion of 701 Whaley. The expansion would include:

•  A convertible performance hall in the old gymnasium that could seat up to 600 people

•  A new addition on the back that will house a stage and backstage area

•  Enclosure of the center’s 60-year-old swimming pool. The pool, now full of auto parts, trees and brush, will be cleaned out and covered over with glass as a unique space for smaller weddings and parties.

•  An outdoor garden area, perhaps with fire pits and an outdoor bar

Current condition:

40B2r.AuSt.74.jpeg

After renovations:

16aRKa.AuSt.74.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm curious here, does anyone have an idea when (or if) construction is set to begin on the new apartments in front of Olympia & Granby mills? I know they were approved. I hope this project is still a go..

i hope so also. i really want to see those apartments be put  down there. its fitting for the area

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what ever happened with the Bright-Meyers Walmart deal? I know Walmart does not want the Capital City Stadium land, but I read recently that B-M was still considering a tenant. The option period for the land was supposed to expire in January.

I havent heard anything about it. i hope the company didnt back out on their plans because of the battle to buy that land.

Does anyone know what ever happened with the Bright-Meyers Walmart deal? I know Walmart does not want the Capital City Stadium land, but I read recently that B-M was still considering a tenant. The option period for the land was supposed to expire in January.

I saw something about it recently.  The Columbia Blowfish just played what's expected to be their last game there because of the pending official sale of the site.  It's still unclear what business might locate there, but it appears it definitely won't be Walmart.

• 4 months later...

Olympia renderings and plans. I hope that the parking spots planned along Wayne Street has the option of being replaced with a parking garage and more apartments/retail in the future. It would be great to have all the roads lined with apartments and all the parking tucked away hidden in the middle.

http://columbia.sc.gov/cocextranet/assets/File/PlanningDevelopmentServices/BoardsCommisions/Agendas/PDS-PC-2013-02-04-PKT4-Wayne-Street-Site-Plan-Review.pdf

Exciting news guys, I drove by Olympia tonight and orange construction fencing is surrounding this site! Some trees have already been removed & backhoes are on site :) 

It's about time, it has been almost a year since approval..  :w00t:

• 1 month later...

I believe Bright-Meyer's purchase option on Capital City Stadium expired in January. Does anyone know what is happening with the property? I was rooting against Walmart in hopes that USC would eventually buy the property and include it in a planned greenway from Five Points to the river.

Now we know:

The developer of Columbia’s historic Capital City Stadium is now looking to land a Kroger grocery store in a proposal that has some neighborhood advocates feeling “heartened” over compromises at the site.

A preliminary plan also shows apartments and a below-ground parking garage along Assembly Street, plus shops and restaurants designed to appeal to college students and others living nearby.

Ryan Nevius, with the nonprofit Sustainable Midlands, said the group is disappointed with the large, suburban size of the proposed grocery store but appreciates the addition of apartments and retail. 

Nevius said her group, including neighborhood leaders, negotiated a textile mill architectural design for the grocery store made of brick with large windows and a tower.

Pushed to the back of the property, it would be 113,500 square feet – larger than the 90,000-square foot Walmart once proposed for the site, Nevius said.

A gasoline station would mimic the store’s architectural elements, with the site also including a separate, 2-acre parcel at Assembly Street and Ferguson Avenue. On that corner, Sasser said he would seek a sit-down restaurant not yet in the market, plus a couple of shops.

The final design and number of apartments has yet to be determined. Sasser said he is in talks with a couple of residential developers to complete that portion of the project.

“Overall, the urban design and the flood design seems to be much better,” said Nevius, who butted heads with the city on the Walmart project.

jPYO8.AuSt.74.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

The State published an article about the Capital City Stadium project. There are not many updates, other than dates:

To meet the May deadline, council must cast its first vote on the final contracts by its April 22 meeting. A final decision would occur at the May 6 meeting, Hampton said.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/04/02/3363592/kroger-atlanta-developer-closing.html?sp=/99/205/&ihp=1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Developers of the former Capital City Stadium site say they’re down to their final federal permit requirement and hope to begin work on the project this summer, starting with roughly $5.4 million in flood remediation in the Olympia and Grandby Mills neighborhoods.

The planned development is for a 310-unit apartment complex, called The Ballpark, with 20,000 square feet of public retail space, said Andy Weddle of Connecticut-based Weddle Real Estate Investments. In addition, the developers will aid the city and county with off-site flood control measures, following the route of the Three Rivers Greenway downstream to the Congaree River.

All of this is expected to take about eight months to complete, once the permit is issued, Weddle said. Demolition of the stadium and construction of the new one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartment units will likely be completed in 2023.

Weddle said they’ve also started to get calls from potential retailers, including a clothing store and a gym considering the site.

Capital City Stadium apartment rendering

A rendering of apartments planned for the Capital City Stadium site at 301 S. Assembly St.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

Developers of the former Capital City Stadium site say they’re down to their final federal permit requirement and hope to begin work on the project this summer, starting with roughly $5.4 million in flood remediation in the Olympia and Grandby Mills neighborhoods.

The planned development is for a 310-unit apartment complex, called The Ballpark, with 20,000 square feet of public retail space, said Andy Weddle of Connecticut-based Weddle Real Estate Investments. In addition, the developers will aid the city and county with off-site flood control measures, following the route of the Three Rivers Greenway downstream to the Congaree River.

All of this is expected to take about eight months to complete, once the permit is issued, Weddle said. Demolition of the stadium and construction of the new one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartment units will likely be completed in 2023.

Weddle said they’ve also started to get calls from potential retailers, including a clothing store and a gym considering the site.

Capital City Stadium apartment rendering

A rendering of apartments planned for the Capital City Stadium site at 301 S. Assembly St.

Now, if the city could just fix the train problem there, on Assembly, we'd be in business! 

• 4 months later...

The city is reviewing plans for a new housing development in the Olympia neighborhood, which has become a popular hub for college students in recent years. Documents submitted to the city’s Design/Development Review Commission outline a plan to build seven single story homes on a set of vacant lots on Hayward Street, right across from the Olympia Mills and Granby Mills student apartment complexes.