Olympia Mill Village Updates

emerging.me

Not if you have 3 roomates.. It's around 4 something a piece and that's not bad with utilities included.

Yeah... I think the idea is that they are geared towards multiple students living in each unit -- when you look at the floorplans you'll see what I mean. the developer has hinted that they will likely be retooled as condos in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Olympia area could really take off. Might be a good time to buy one of those mill houses and refurb it, making a single family dwelling out of a duplex. That'd give a decent sized house. I wonder how much of a pain it would be to bring up to the current IRC.

Same thing for the mill villiage the the end of the Gervais Street brisge. It has the advantage of no game-day and fair traffic.

Edited by Captain Worley

I think the Olympia area could really take off. Might be a good time to buy one of those mill houses and refurb it, making a single family dwelling out of a duplex. That'd give a decent sized house. I wonder how much of a pain it would be to bring up to the current IRC.

I was looking at "Flip This House" on A&E (I think it comes on that channel, not sure) and was thinking the same thing. Olympia will be sizzling within a few years.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I wouldn't mind being able to flip some houses in Olympia -- even now in the slowing marketing, you can't really lose with that area.

An update on GALLERY 701...

There's a story in the Free Times that says they'll probably start the renovations in March. And here's an "only in Olympia" story for ya... this Sunday (December 10 at 3PM), faith community leaders from the three neighborhood churches are leading a "blessing of the building" ceremony! Crazy. I love it. :) I may actually go to check this out.

Same thing for the mill villiage the the end of the Gervais Street brisge. It has the advantage of no game-day and fair traffic.

i thought about that 3 years ago. i even begged my dad for some money so i could start the project. no go though. :(

Another new small-ish development for Olympia. Directly across from the Granby mill there's a strip of parking lot that will soon be demolished and replaced with half a dozen or so traditional-style homes. They will apparently be priced moderately at around $180K for 3BRs, 2BAs. Pretty stock concept, but I think it's an appropriate bit of infill. The Mill Village Riverlink portion of the greenway will be right out the front doors, which is nice, and it will be directly adjacent to the Mill Town Center retail development once that gets built. I don't think the developers can go wrong at that price. Here's an ad I found in Sunday's paper...

post-615-1165813646_thumb.jpg

Edited by emerging.me

• 4 months later...

The Olympia Community Festival will be held this Saturday from 11AM-5PM. It looks pretty cool! I think my wife and I are going to take our girls. It'll be held on Milltown Commons -- the lawn in front of Olympia Mill on Whaley Street. Apparently some local homes will be open for public viewing -- I wonder which ones? I hope it's some nicely renovated classic mill village homes and not just those crappy townhomes they're hocking. It'd also be nice to get inside the mill apartments and poke around -- don't know if that's planned. And there are quarry tours.. SWEET. :)The State says...

The live music lineup includes Cosmic Possums at 11 a.m.; Redbird Fiddlers at 1 p.m.; Corner House at 2 p.m.; and Danielle Howle at 3 p.m.

The festival will also feature tours of the quarry for $5. There are a limited number of quarry tour tickets. The tickets go on sale at 11 a.m. and are on a first come, first served basis.

For more information, call Noble Miller at (803) 920-8887

I am more jazzed about this area's redevelopment than any other spot near downtown.

Edited by emerging.me

Are you EM? I would have never guessed. :lol:

Ha! I seriously cannot get enough of the place! ;) I'm going to have to break down and buy a house over there and fix it up. My wife is not exactly down with that idea though, given that some parts of the 'hood are still pretty scrubby... "It has SO MUCH potential though!" just doesn't do the trick. I've got some convincing to do! :)

Edited by emerging.me

Yeah, it hasn't worked for me yet, but maybe your powers of persuasin are better. You might want to take a look at the mill village at the WC end of the Gervais Street bridge, also.

Funny you should mention it... I've been sniffing around over there, too... but it seems to me like all the property owners there are well aware of the goldmine they're sitting on. :) I've had no luck. Hehe.

• 4 weeks later...

The Gallery 701 building will begin a $5 million renovation next month. New features will include 2 catering areas, a store front space, 3 office suites, 5 apartments, and gallery space. The renovations are said to be completed by year's end. This will be an awesome addition to the village, kudos to the developers :thumbsup:

TheState: 701 Gallery

Check out the video showing the history and potential this building has.

Video