Olympia Mill Village Updates

emerging.me

• 3 weeks later...

Affordable homes coming to Olympia/Baseball Stadium area. USC Development Foundation sold the 1.14 acre area between Catawba St and the new stadium to the Columbia Housing Authority. There will be 15-17 mill village homes built. The plan is for 1,500 square feet homes at a price point of $140,000.

392-070612_housing.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

Link to article

OOOHHHHHH...now THAT may be what I've been looking for. I want to live downtown, but certainly can't afford a half million dollar townhouse or condo. And those are walking distance to the baseball stadium and the river...and eventually the new riverfront park. I'm gonna watch this VERY closely! And I also would think this would be a great investment...the property values in that area are going to go way up as Innovista starts to fill in. Do y'all agree or disagree? Also, how do these price controls affect future selling price. What's to keep someone from buying one for $140,000, then selling it in 2 years for $200,000?

Edited by BryCola

I've been watching this site for a while. I wish they would do a mixed-income development here instead of restricting it to solely those making less than 80% of the median income. The State reports that for a family of four that's $47K. I make more than that, but not enough to afford any of the high end developments being built downtown. Where are middle class one-income families that want to be near the city center supposed to live? (Don't say CanalSide, The Battery as Arsenal Hill, or Vsion because I've looked at the floorplans and they are definitely not family-oriented until you get into the $300K range.) I'd like to see 25% of the homes in this project priced at around the $150-220K range and available to people with a slightly higher income level.

Edited by emerging.me

I've been watching this site for a while. I wish they would do a mixed-income development here instead of restricting it to solely those making less than 80% of the median income. The State reports that for a family of four that's $47K. I make more than that, but not enough to afford any of the high end developments being built downtown. Where are middle class one-income families that want to be near the city center supposed to live? (Don't say CanalSide, The Battery as Arsenal Hill, or Vsion because I've looked at the floorplans and they are definitely not family-oriented until you get into the $300K range.) I'd like to see 25% of the homes be in this project priced at around the $150-220K range and available to people with a slightly higher income level.

I'm not certain, but I would think the CHA couldn't create a development for that higher income range.

Yes, but I was referring to a higher price range not affordable to those below the median income in Columbia.

I gotcha!

Hey mods... can we change the subheading of this topic to something more broad and relevant? When I made it forever ago it was addressing a specific set of things... and now is just kind of dumb and out of place. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I see they've done some major stripping of the Gallery 701 building.

I wonder when the little retail complex in front of Olympia Mill will get underway?

Milltown Center ("Center" sounds so suburban) -- I asked about this recently. Ron Kaplan, the guy who owns the mills, is the big decision-maker here. His plans are apparently to start moving on it once the apartments in both mills are pretty much all leased. I don't know what the status is on the other mill, but it doesn't look quite ready for action yet.

If they do this piece right, and a few other little things come together, the Olympia/Granby area may have a kind of urban village vibe that no other place downtown has.

Edited by emerging.me

The Whaley Mill still has a way to go. I drove in back of it a few weeks ago and the interior is months away from being finished. The Granby Mill looks very nice, however; there were a number of people out at the pool when I went by. Unfortunately, no one invited me for a swim. :(

^You're right when you say "if they do this piece right." I'm not sure what to expect, given Whaley Row, which looks like something straight out of Irmo or NE Richland.

True, but that was done by Charles Small... local developer out to make a quick buck on the property. Kaplan is from out of town (Philly), so he's actually seen urban development done right. ;) And, obviously, since he owns the mills he has a vested interest in the quality of life in the area... he's looking forward to the day he can condo those apartments out I'm sure. Plus, the River Alliance has had the concept drawn up for years and the neighborhood is solidly behind it.

Edited by emerging.me

Neil White had an article in today's State that said residents of the new apartments in the mills are hearing the ghostly cries of children. I suspect water pipes, but has anyone heard this, or is it an urban legend.

Sounds like a fun story. :) They must not have it on the website yet... Couldn't find it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...