Olympia Mill Village Updates

emerging.me

I think the final product on this will turn out to be very nice. I'm glad the decision was made to save this building, despite the condition it was in. Columbia will be able to add another example of successful adaptive reuse to an already long list.

Yes, Columbia does very well in this regard (usually). I am SO PSYCHED about this building getting this renovation--woo-hoo! :yahoo:

Maybe it's because we lost so much that would have been now historic when Sherman burned us down, the beotch! :angry:

• 1 month later...

Looks like that tract that Holder Properties was scouting in the vicinity of Assembly and Whaley might be the site of a new apartment complex. The company is proposing a 388-unit apartment complex at Assembly and Whaley streets. The complex would stretch east along Whaley to the CSX railroad track and south along Assembly to Heyward Street. The project would involve closing Park Street to the railroad crossing at its intersection with Bluff Road and Heyward Street from Assembly to its dead end at the railroad tracks. It would eliminate the Park Street railroad crossing.

A vice president for the company has stated that everything is very preliminary and several issues need to be resolved surrounding land acquisition, city approval, and the road closings. Holder has had to deal with multiple property owners to put the property together and some of those issues still must be resolved.

I wonder if Holder originally had condos in mind here, but switched to apartments given the current state of the housing market.

Thought so. One neighbor expressed support for the project, but wishes that it were condos instead in order to cut down on rental properties in the neighborhood. However, being that these will essentially be luxury apartments, I don't think all of the problems that are typically associated with low- to mid-rent properties will be a concern here.

• 2 weeks later...

How have those townhouses off Whaley been selling? I have a hard time believeing people would drop a quarter million on a place that small right next to RR tracks. I was shocked when I found out how much they were. I figured 160-175K was the price until I saw an ad for 250-270K in the Free Times.

How have those townhouses off Whaley been selling? I have a hard time believeing people would drop a quarter million on a place that small right next to RR tracks. I was shocked when I found out how much they were. I figured 160-175K was the price until I saw an ad for 250-270K in the Free Times.

Yeah, they are over-priced if you ask me. I don't think but about 1/3 of them have moved. The location is great in terms of proximity to the city center, but the immediate surroundings (the railroad!), the design quality, and level of finish do not justify the price.

• 9 months later...

701 Whaley will be home to South Carolina's first artists-in-residence program. The new owners have sunk more than $6 million into the building, $2 million more than they had planned. It's going to be a real showcase for the city and for South Carolina. This, along with existing artist studios, art galleries, and the planned develoment off of Huger behind One Eared Cow Glass, will boost the local art scene in a major way.

http://www.thestate.com/516/story/471772.html

That was a pretty big blunder, especially since they mentioned Hub Bub in the companion article:

Contemporary art centers with galleries and studios can be found in Greenville (Art Bomb), Spartanburg (Hub-Bub) and Charleston (Redux), but none has a residency program. The 701 Contemporary Art Center would have three or four artists in residence each year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A man from Spartanburg has a letter to the editor of The State today saying HUB-BUB was the first artist-in-residency program, not Gallery 701 as The State has reported. Maybe the difference is the Spartanburg artists' "preprofessional" status vs. professionals? I don't know. No, I don't guess so, as - duh - residency means preprofessional?

http://www.thestate.com/letters/story/581634.html

Edited by CorgiMatt

Fairly big Olympia area development news:

The lot adjacent to the greenway "Ra" park (corner of Heyward St. and Bluff Rd.), and the massive railroad berm to the rear of it have been partially cleared. Those run-down houses along Bluff Road are being demolished, too (though the little white church has been saved.) It's for some sort of housing development. Whatever it is, they'll have great views from the top of that berm.

For those of you that need a little context... This is across from the former G.R.O.W. cafe. Down behind Asypre and Bombers Stadium.

Edited by emerging.me

^If it becomes another Whaley Row-style development, that won't be good at all.

I have reason to believe these will be somewhat cooler looking. :) I hear it will more appropriately reflect the post-industrial context, than the suburban-looking blandness of Whaley Row.

Edited by emerging.me