Olympia Mill Village Updates

emerging.me

Anybody been keeping up with Aspyre? They're now leasing, which I'm sure some of you knew, but the website has been updated since we last discussed it here. It appears, in concept at least, to be quite stylish. It should be a pretty cool place to live for students.

This looks like a great place to live! And being a college student, I can definitely say they are appealing to their target audience.

It is in the city already. The city limit is across the railroad tracks that run behind the mills, more into Olympia. Olympia Mill and Granby Mill apartments (the big renovated buildings) are both in the city. So is Gallery 701. And so is the baseball stadium.

Edited by CorgiMatt

• 2 weeks later...

I drove up Assembly Street from Rosewood Drive this morning and you can see the top floor and of course the roof before you ever even turn the curve at the railroad tracks, and then, there it is when you round the bend, with a huge urban presence, defining the entry into downtown Columbia.

^That's too bad. But retail at that location would pretty much be targeted towards the residents primarily, and maybe towards some of the residents of Olympia.

I wonder if there are any plans to go forward on the proposed retail complex on the land fronting the mills anytime in the near future.

^That's too bad. But retail at that location would pretty much be targeted towards the residents primarily, and maybe towards some of the residents of Olympia.

I wonder if there are any plans to go forward on the proposed retail complex on the land fronting the mills anytime in the near future.

The developer's idea was that he would move forward with the Milltown Common retail development when both mills were completed and fully leased. But that was before the economy went south. Haven't heard an update in a while.

Edited by emerging.me

Where was Milltown Comons supposed to be?

Milltown Commons is actually the name of a proposed park that will exist in the already present greenspace in front of the mills, along Whaley St. A retail shopping area is planned directly in front of the mills, across Heyward St., where there is currently a large parking lot. It would be between the mills and the park.

The idea is part of a plan for revitalization that the community worked with the River Alliance on developing years and years ago. The developer of the mills bought into the idea, and had a plan to do it once the mills were completed. Don't know if that's still the plan or not.

Edited by emerging.me

• 4 weeks later...

I drove through on the way back to Charlotte this weekend. This thing is even more massive in person. Its quite an amazing thing to see.

Also, I haven't been back to the Olympis portion of Columbia in quite a while. The historic building at Whaley & Wayne Streets looks awesome, and all the new housing in that area blends in relatively well. I don't like the front loaded townhomes on Lincoln St. Over all, Olympia is coming along nicely. Its great to see the Olympia Mill buildings occupied.