Best Football Stadium in the ACC

afh

What is the best football stadium in the ACC?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best football stadium in the ACC?

• Memorial Stadium (Clemson)
    • Bobby Dodd Stadium/Grant Field (Georgia Tech)
    • Kenan Stadium (North Carolina)
    • Doak Campbell Stadium (Florida State)
    • Scott Stadium (Virginia)
    • Wallace Wade Stadium (Duke)
    • Byrd Stadium (Maryland)
    • Carter-Finley Stadium (N.C. State)
    • Groves Stadium (Wake Forest)
    • Orange Bowl (Miami)
    • Lane Stadium (Virginia Tech)
    • Alumni Stadium (Boston College)

Nicest environment - UVA, at least when I went there 20 years ago.

Most intimidating environment - I have to go with Clemson, partial of course since I went to many of their games during the Ford era.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Until I read Exile's post, I thought you were referring to the Gerald Ford era... :rofl:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am biased as well, but I have been to a few other the other stadiums and still think that Clemson has the best. The atmosphere is awsome.

BTW, Maryland has the rudest fans ever. You know it is bad when the opposing team's fans have to have police protection.

Here is a photo I took last week of the work being done at Clemson.

IMG_4408.jpg

About 10 or so years ago, Clemson and Auburn were #'s 1 and 2, respectively, in both number of skyboxes and in skybox revenue. Has this changed?

BTW, those of you who are unfamiliar with Clemson's stadium can see some of the skyboxes in the picture Brad Toy recently uploaded--double-decker skyboxes for the entire length of both the south and north stands. The West Zone (under construction) will add significantly to Clemson's inventory of skyboxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Virginia Tech is completing it's second expansion of the decade and will push attendance close to 70K.  May not be as picturesque as some other stadiums in the conference, but I'd say it's definitely one of the top three toughest places to play/gameday atmospheres along with Clemson and FSU.

Lane Stadium Expansion

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NC State, GT and North Carolina can get loud.

NC State, GT and North Carolina can get loud.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't been to State yet, will be in about a month. Went to GT and UNC last year, neither holds a candle to the other three in my opinion. Both nice venues, I enjoyed both and will go back, but not even close.

Anyone who chooses Doak Campbell Stadium is a Seminole homer, plain and simple. Underneath the TAXPAYER-FUNDED brick exterior renovations is the nastiest stadium on the planet this side of Legion Field in Birmingham. Rusted metal, dirty, dark, lack of bathrooms (even for an old stadium), etc.

Disgusting. I mean, no one expects it to be Alltel or the Georgia Dome, but come on... a pit if there ever was one. It would be the 8th nicest stadium in the SEC, behind UF, UT, UGA, USC, LSU, AU & UA, and it isn't far ahead of Arkansas or Kentucky, to be honest... only in capacity. I would know, I've been to every stadium listed, most of them multiple times.

In the ACC, for tradition and athmosphere, it's Death Valley (Clemson) by far, but for overall appearance, it's got to be UVA. Their stadium is beautiful with all the columns and such. Now that the ACC is a real conference (no longer F$U and the seven dwarfs), it should be interesting to see the money that gets funnelled into these stadiums... maybe one day they will be somewhere near on par with their SEC counterparts. Out of all the ACC stadiums, only Death Valley & Doak Campbell would even pass in the SEC... maybe VT, though... it's under-rated, and Blacksburg is a great college town.

IS COLLEGE FOOTBALL HERE YET!??!?!!? AHHH!!!

Anyone who chooses Doak Campbell Stadium is a Seminole homer, plain and simple. Underneath the TAXPAYER-FUNDED brick exterior renovations is the nastiest stadium on the planet this side of Legion Field in Birmingham. Rusted metal, dirty, dark, lack of bathrooms (even for an old stadium), etc.

:lol::lol:

Spoken like a true Gator fan. We are almost to football season. :D

Doak Cambell is Beautiful. It is the stadium for FSU and as such, it fits into the architecture of the school. As a nole fan, i see "death valley" as a great stadium to go into and play. I have seen alot of stadiums also, and SEC stadiums are NOT the penicle of college arenas. FSU has struck gold with the design of Doak. When i go to a game, i want to walk through the skeleton, i want to step outta the belly and watch the game. It is dirty because people litter, the lack of bathrooms is unfair, there are plenty. I would enjoy something other than a sink to pee in, but if i wanted to be comfortable, i could just watch from home, because every game is on TV. Every game has a blimp. And thankfully, football season is beggining soon. I cant wait to see if we have our... stuff... together this year. Its been one heck of an offseason for us, and it has nothing to do with Doak ;)

Anyone who chooses Doak Campbell Stadium is a Seminole homer, plain and simple.  Underneath the TAXPAYER-FUNDED brick exterior renovations is the nastiest stadium on the planet this side of Legion Field in Birmingham.  Rusted metal, dirty, dark, lack of bathrooms (even for an old stadium), etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess you haven't been to the Orange Bowl. Doak Campbell isn't as bad as you describe. Sure the bathrooms are small and few but other than that, everything is good. I think you're trying to get at the FSU people. Funny never the less! Try using the bathrooms in the OB.

Are you kidding? Doak is a beautiful stadium. And the tax payer funding was quite genious, just build classrooms and what not around the stadium and let the people pay for it! I agree the fans there suck and dont get into the games like many other venues though. IM a student there, and an AVID die heard gator fan, but am going to have to disagree with you, even though Ben Hill tops Doak anytime!

I never said the Orange Bowl was better than Doak. At least you won't get mugged and/or propositioned on your way into Doak (unless it's by a drunken student). The Orange Bowl is in very, very bad need of either a major face life or the wrecking ball. I would be sad to see it go for history and tradition purposes, though... but only because of the Dolphins.

And yeah, The Swamp is clearly the class of the state of Florida's college stadiums, I don't think anyone would dispute that... even logical non-Gator fans. It's just a superior venue.

And yeah, The Swamp is clearly the class of the state of Florida's college stadiums, I don't think anyone would dispute that...  even logical non-Gator fans.  It's just a superior venue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And then you wake up! :rofl:

If we want to get technical, you're saying that Ben Hill is better than Raymond James, which is where USF plays? USF is a division 1A Florida football team, correct? Ben Hill is nice, but let's have some objectivity here.

Dude... I don't think it's legitimate to count USF and Raymond James... it's not like it's THEIR stadium. That's like saying that the Citrus Bowl is UCF's stadium. They just play there.

You have to understand that there is a difference between an on-campus college football stadium and a rent-a-field for a mid-major university. Come on. LOL

I mean, using that logic, UF would still have the nicest stadium, because they play a game in Alltel, which is superior (although close) to Raymond James. Go ahead Tampa homers, bash me. :->

But yeah, back on topic...

DOAK CAMPBELL!?!?!?! Come on!!!

Arkansawyer - I stand corrected. The renovations to Razorback Stadium are fantastic. The last time I was there was before the renovations, several years ago. I had seen passing shots of the changes on TV, so I admit I was a bit uninformed on the "new" RS.

P.S. - Thanks for letting the Jags borrow Matt Jones. It's gonna be fun next year (2006) when the Jags' starting 3 WR's are 6'6", 6'4" and 6'4"... that's just insane!

I put all of the ACC's stadiums in one post to compare:

UNC's Kenan Stadium

Kenan-3-THB.jpg

Duke's Wallace Wade Stadium

aerial.jpg

Virginia's Scott Stadium

Scott-Stadium-University-of.jpg

Florida State's Doak Campbell Stadium

Florida-State-Doak-Campbell.jpg

Maryland's Byrd Stadium

aerial.jpg

Georgia Tech's Bobby Dodd Stadium

bobby-dodd-300.jpg

Clemson's Memorial Stadium

aerial.jpg

Virginia's Scott Stadium

scottmain.jpg

Boston College's Alumni Stadium

aerial.jpg

Wake Forest's Groves Stadium

groveslg.jpg

NC State's Carter-Finley Stadium

stadiumhome3.jpg

Miami's Orange Bowl

aerial.jpg

Thanks for the organizaation... but i think that is an older pic of Doak... Pensacola was re-routed from between the baseball and football stadiums, and there was work done since... but it may only be the ugly stain glass mural of Bobby. I have no better one to post, so i shouldnt critique it...

Archived