Chattlanta

nwgeorgia

Its kind of a new thing, but if u ever go on myspace u will see that plenty ppl actually have that down as their location. Especially ppl that have moved to the Atlanta area from Macon. A rap group from Macon actually started it, Kadalack Boyz. Their record label that they are signed to is in Atlanta, and they're back and forth so much they say they're from "Maclanta" as sort of a joke. Its kinda stuck i gues. But Mactown is the dominate nick-name for Macon presently.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I'm bumping an old topic, but I would like to add the perspective of someone who lives in the region. Gordon County has a strong employment base and most Gordon Countians work in Gordon County. Dalton(Whitfield County and Murray County) is the next biggest commute area for Gordon Countians. The next largest group commutes to Rome in Floyd County. The fourth largest group commutes to the metro Atlanta counties of Bartow and Cobb. Chattanooga and Hamilton County is pretty far down the list. Calhoun is classified as micropolitan and will likely keep that classification in 2010. I doubt it joins the Atlanta or Dalton MSA's, but I think it will be added to the Atlanta CSA, particulary if the Rome MSA is added to the Atlanta CSA. This would create a significant commute into Atlanta CSA and their is a strong commute of workers from Rome into Calhoun already.

Dalton MSA gets a fairly large commute from Catoosa and Walker Counties in the Chattanooga MSA and from Cleveland, TN MSA. Cleveland is included in the Chattanooga CSA along with the Athens, TN micropolitan area. This is little commute from Dalton to the Chattanooga MSA, except for into Catoosa County, and very little into Cleveland. Murray has little commute into any of the Chattanooga MSA, but a fairly large commute into Gordon County and a small amount into the Cleveland MSA. This leaves Dalton difficult to peg, but since only commute patterns determine MSA and CSA inclusion and consolidation, Dalton will barely make it into the Chattanooga CSA. If radio and tv markets, retail markets and airport usage were a consideration, Dalton would have been part of the Chattanooga MSA years ago as those ties are stronger.

Regardless of how it ends up Gordon seems to be getting pulled in more directions than any county I can think of. Locals there are probably divided between the "I don't want anything to do wtih Atlanta" group and the "Being associated with Atlanta will be more prestigious" group. Gordon County will provide most of the employment for its workers for sometime to come as growth will create more local jobs in retail, medical, and education in particular.

"Atlanta" growth will be in the future confused with Gainesville, Rome, Athens & LaGrange growth - to a lesser extent Macon. Larger metro areas like LA & Boston will be a similar pattern of growth for Atlanta - where primary city Metro Areas are surrounded by smaller Metro Areas. People living in Palm Springs or Riverside, CA don't drive to LA for work, just as people in Nashau NH do either - but these are cities that have been dramatically impacted by the growth of a larger city further away.

It will be extremely unlikely Athens will ever join the MSA of Atlanta, but most likely it will join the CSA. Athens will develop as a satellite-edge city that will be assumed to be 'part of Atlanta' but will enjoy it's own economic influence that will likely cause it to be a 2nd tier city in Georgia.

As for the I-20 corridor - that will always fall behind the 85 & 75 corridors. The distance between Augusta & Atlanta is over 2/3 of the way between Greenville & Charleston.

^ I don't know. Obviously, historic growth rates have made Atlanta grow like a large upside down egg, but I think that's slowly changing to incorporate much of the east suburbs. I mean, the Atlantans have already made it past Madison. How much longer do you think it'll before they hit Lake Oconee? Of course, that area of Georgia is scary, and I can see a major stand taking place somewhere around Crawfordville, but the Atlantans will win like always. And then suddenly, when I'm about 50, I'm watching the Masters from the beautiful Augusta National Golf Club in suburban Atlanta.

^ I don't know. Obviously, historic growth rates have made Atlanta grow like a large upside down egg, but I think that's slowly changing to incorporate much of the east suburbs. I mean, the Atlantans have already made it past Madison. How much longer do you think it'll before they hit Lake Oconee? Of course, that area of Georgia is scary, and I can see a major stand taking place somewhere around Crawfordville, but the Atlantans will win like always. And then suddenly, when I'm about 50, I'm watching the Masters from the beautiful Augusta National Golf Club in suburban Atlanta.

I really just meant my post in a tongue-in-cheek manner fellows. I don't think there is any chance of Augusta being gobbled up by Atlanta, but I do see some Atlanta growth benefiting Macon. To be honest, last Summer I went to Blue Ridge, Georgia, and couldn't believe how the growth never really stopped almost all the way there---and that's about 20 minutes from the Tenn. state line.

Poohsfolk, nothing against the area between Atlanta and Augusta, but those pyramids freaked me out.

It's all good... no offense taken! I was just curious what you were refering to.

The people who put up those pyramids in Putnam County called themselves Nuwabians, and it seems like they believed they were descended from extra-terrestrials. Their leader is now in federal prison for abusing children.

"Atlanta" growth will be in the future confused with Gainesville, Rome, Athens & LaGrange growth - to a lesser extent Macon. Larger metro areas like LA & Boston will be a similar pattern of growth for Atlanta - where primary city Metro Areas are surrounded by smaller Metro Areas. People living in Palm Springs or Riverside, CA don't drive to LA for work, just as people in Nashau NH do either - but these are cities that have been dramatically impacted by the growth of a larger city further away.

It will be extremely unlikely Athens will ever join the MSA of Atlanta, but most likely it will join the CSA. Athens will develop as a satellite-edge city that will be assumed to be 'part of Atlanta' but will enjoy it's own economic influence that will likely cause it to be a 2nd tier city in Georgia.

As for the I-20 corridor - that will always fall behind the 85 & 75 corridors. The distance between Augusta & Atlanta is over 2/3 of the way between Greenville & Charleston.

I would have to say i disagree with all of you. Each one of the cities mentioned, especially Atlanta, has seen the inner cores reverse their decline and start adding new residents and businesses. Everything that has occured ths far has been the result of nothing more then people just wanting to live in the city center. When other factors start to become more prevalant, such as higher energy prices or increased traffic congestion, the growth in the urban cores will accelerate even further. This is not to say that the burbs won't continue to see some sort of growth, but the blistering pace of paving over ever more remote areas for commuters will slow dramatically over the next 10-15 years. Personally, I believe what will eventually happen is that some cities will become more like twin star systems, highly interconnected but still exerting it's own pull on the sorounding areas. Much like Boston, New York, Phily, Balt, and DC. I see rail eventually connecting all of the cities that have been mentioned. With the cores of those cities being much more dense then they are now. I don't put this idea forward out of some urban utopia ideology, but as a financial reality over the coming decade or two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is what I see happening. Atlanta grows in a way where not everyone commutes to the center of the city. There are many edges, or satellite cities. I have family in Perris, CA (barely a part of the LA Metro), and they don't ever go to Los Angeles. He works in Riverside. I also have some in Irvine, and that is where the live, work, and play. They never venture outside of Orange County. That is the way I see Atlanta going.

Los Angeles is on another tier than Atlanta, though. Riverside itself is almost the population of Atlanta. Irvine has over 200,000.

Archived