Tampa Pictures by thelakelander

bobliocatt

As promised in the Tampa/Orlando thread, here's the first of several photos, I've taken over the last month in various Florida cities. These pictures cover parts of downtown, Ybor, West Tampa, Channel District and SoHo. I'll make it a point to hit some of Tampa's other popular residential areas the next time I'm in the area.

Downtown

glasstowerl9oy.jpg

old Maas Brothers Department Store awaiting demolition

maasbrothersl8ph.jpg

Tampa Theater on Franklin Street

tampatheater6wz.jpg

Christ Church

christchurchl8pk.jpg

City Hall

cityhalll4nk.jpg

Old County Courthouse

oldcourthouse3ko.jpg

University of Tampa

univoftampa4oo.jpg

Downtown skyline taken from Harbor Island

downtownskyline3sd.jpg

Channel District

skyline in the distance

channeldistrictskyline3yf.jpg

Even the ugliest warehouses can be turned into lofts

channeldistrictlofts8uq.jpg

West Tampa

Its still the hood, but if you're looking to invest, this is the place to be

Like Ybor, this community was founded on the cigar industry

westtampacigar5fu.jpg

beautiful architecture

westtampahistoricclub6zw.jpg

old West Tampa library

westtampalibrary4gq.jpg

North Howard Avenue

westtampahoward9wm.jpg

Ybor

Most of my pics were taken in Ybor City

On 8th Avenue looking toward 9th Avenue

yborcigarplant4pi.jpg

7th Avenue at 7am in the morning

ybor7thavenueclose9xq.jpg

Another shot of 7th Ave (sorry, no night pics)

ybor7thavenue5ak.jpg

Centro Ybor Entertainment complex

muvicoybor7gq.jpg

former Florida Brewing Company plant (now offices)

floridabrewery5aq.jpg

former cigar plant that has been converted into office use

cigarplantoffice6we.jpg

Original historic Ybor shotgun homes

yborhousing9kr.jpg

New lofts and townhomes are popping up every, south of 7th

yborlofts3ol.jpg

These look pretty cool

yborloftsbest3iq.jpg

more infill housing, in Ybor

yborhousingnew9bb.jpg

SoHo - "South Howard"

I really didn't have time to explore, this area, this time around, but its got a number of urban infill developments coming up, as well. Here's one.

sohotownhomes0nf.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, these are great! I grew up in Lakeland as well and used to go to Tampa or Orlando for everything remotely city-like. I live in Orlando now after having lived out of Florida for a while: Orlando likes to make a big deal about its booming downtown development, but Tampa is truly filling in its neighborhoods. Taken in context these are little pieces, to be sure, but they could be (and ten years ago would have been) little pieces of crap instead of decent urbanism.

Where are those West Tampa buildings? You're right, there is some quality architecture in that city. I guess living in Chicago for a little while has raised my sensitivity to how beautifully built warehouses, schools, and neighborhood libraries could be once upon a time. As much as Orlando may promote itself as cleaner and newer, that is one thing it absolutely cannot offer: grand, picturesque Beaux-Arts and 1920s industrial and civic architecture. It still had cows walking down its muddy main street when Plant's Tampa Bay Hotel opened; its turn-of-the-century commercial buildings seem especially modest today as they are slowly but steadily being dwarfed (and demolished) by glass and concrete monoliths.

I am very impressed by those Tampa shots, Lake. The last time I was there was 6 years ago when I took the Bar Exam and it is looking better than ever. I agree with Bande's sentiments also. You just cant recreate the kind of historic ambience that cities of the age of Tampa and Jacksonville (and which were a decent size between 1900-1920) have. While Orlando is nice too, it doesnt appeal as much to a history and architecture buff like me.

Thanks for the responses. I don't want to see this turn into a Tampa vs. Orlando thread, I'm just sharing pictures of my recent trips to Central and South Florida. Which city should I post next? Orlando/Winter Park, St. Petersburg, Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville or West Palm Beach?

Where are those West Tampa buildings?  You're right, there is some quality architecture in that city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

West Tampa's business district sits about a block north of I-275 at the Howard and Armenia exit. The commercial corridor lines North Howard and Main Street, which runs parallel to I-275.

I dont think many can complain about Tampa being dumpy after viewing those pics, I mean I love Tampa AND orlando (they are the only two cities ive lived in) but every city has some areas that arent too nice, and for those who knock Tampa as being nothing but a slum-city and elevate Orlando high above Tampa, what about Parramore, most of the OBT, Oakridge just to name a few?

We all have bad areas in big cities, and both Tampa and Orlando are EXCELLENT places to live.

WOW...I am utterly impressed..I really didn't think Tampa had neighborehoods that looked like this...thanks alot for posting these...r u gonna post these at SSP? if not, can I, with full credit to you? I'm fully amazed!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I usally don't post picture threads of Sunbelt cities on SSP because not many people respond to them and they quickly sink to the bottom of the page. Once I get the St. Petersburg pictures up, I'll give it a chance to see if things have changed.

We should start a thread on Florida's old historic hotels.  I was driving through Winter Park today on Alabama Drive and there is a huge beautiful old building for sale that caught my attention so I inquired about it (just for kicks).  Turns out, it was a grand old luxury hotel (the Seminole Hotel I believe), the same builder of the Tampa Bay Hotel (now the University of Tampa).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the building you mention is the former Alabama Hotel - it has been luxury condos since approx. the 1980s. The 'for sale' sign you saw was likely for a unit in the building. The Seminole Hotel was acutally 2 different hotels, in two different spots - neither exist now. I'll take this over to your new thread so I don't hijack this thread ... !

Archived