Local Festivals

I've said it before- Festivals of all types are good ways for communities to gain a little bit of an identity, provide entertainment for the population, and make a quick profit. Riverfest, Toad Suck Daze, Junkfest, Musicfest, Purple Hull Pea Festival, etc.- all provide good fun, good food, and good profit. What are your local festivals- and what are they like?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gah. You've lived here. You know 'em.

Hot Springs Documentary Festival

Very cool documentary festival which has quickly grown in reputation.

Hot Springs Music Festival

Started by two new yorkers. One of the most famous in US because musicians get here on a scholarship...so there are many different classes. The musicians come from all around the world.

Very brief summaries............

Riverfest, held annually on Memorial Day weekend in Little Rock, is the state's largest festival, and had over 240,000 this year. A few years ago it expanded across the Arkansas River to North Little Rock. It has a few big musical acts each year, food, other forms of entertainment, etc.

I think the neatest festival in the state is probably the King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena. It brings some of the best blues musicians in the country back to a hub of Mississippi Delta blues. For those of you who don't know, King Biscuit Time, founded in 1941, was the first radio broadcasting program of the blues, and is the longest running daily radio show in history. Musicians such as B.B. King grew up listening to it. The festival aims to preserve the blues culture and history.

Gah. You've lived here. You know 'em.

Hot Springs Documentary Festival

Very cool documentary festival which has quickly grown in reputation. 

Hot Springs Music Festival

Started by two new yorkers.  One of the most famous in US because musicians get here on a scholarship...so there are many different classes.  The musicians come from all around the world.   

Very brief summaries............

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think I've ever heard of the Hot Springs Music Festival. Maybe not all the festivals get very good coverage throughout the whole state.

The two biggest festivals here in northwest Arkansas would be the War Eagle Crafts and the Bikes Blues and BBQ Festival here in Fayetteville. I'm not sure if the War Eagle one would classify as a festival exactly. It's sorta odd thing that has developed, it takes place near the War Eagle Mill that's over on the eastern side of Beaver Lake opposite of Rogers. I'm pretty sure it draws over 100,000 people. I'm not sure when it started but it's been around for a while. The other festival is a little odd because it's only in it's fourth or fifth year I think, relatively new. But the BBB fesitval has quickly grown into a huge event. It drew around 125,000 last year. The Discovery Channel was also here and did a little filming. There are quite a few festivals but I don't think any of the other ones come close to being as big. Springfest in Fayetteville is also a nice festival. The Applefest over in Lincoln (to the southwest of Fayetteville) seems to get a lot of attention. Oh and there is the Grapefest over in Tontitown just west of Springdale. It's also a pretty popular festival up here. I can't really think of any festivals in Benton County that stick out in my memory.

When I was younger, I used to go to the Ozark Folk Festival in Mountain View all the time. Really loved it. You could bring your tent and camp out along South Sylamore Creek.

I would imagine that whole O Brother Where Art Thou? movement has helped it gain some more publicity. Outside of Arkansas you often hear about the traditional music of the Appalachians. It would be great if the tradtional music of the Ozarks were mentioned right along side of it.

Archived