speak about Tulsa

M2L4K6

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I visited some relatives there last week. Hmm. There sure are a lot of turnpikes in Tulsa, you basically can't get there without using one, not to mention the Creek Turnpike in Broken Arrow. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole turnpike situation, though I imagine there's some sort of logic behind it. What do you think?

there is an intense rivalry between okc and tulsa, and i do me intense. they have always viewed themselves as superior to us. but since the completion of maps you have begun to see the city of tulsas attitude change from smug to jealousy. they are making changes, though. with their vision 2025 they are hoping to take back some of the glory that has faded from them in the past few years that has pretty much transfered to okc.

heres some stuff about tulsa.2003 est. pop 387,807 down from the 2000 pop. of 393,059. tulsa msa 803,235. ethnic population. white 76%, black 8.80%,native american 6.90%, asian 1.20%, hispanic 4.80%

cost of doing business is 20% below national average. tulsas cost of living is 8% below national av. and county per capita income is 11% higher than national average.

squre miles. 182.65

I visited some relatives there last week. Hmm. There sure are a lot of turnpikes in Tulsa, you basically can't get there without using one, not to mention the Creek Turnpike in Broken Arrow. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole turnpike situation, though I imagine there's some sort of logic behind it. What do you think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah there are a lot of turnpikes in Oklahoma. It's basically just their way of getting roadwork done. Unless you like the Arkansas method which means waiting decades to eventually get them done.

Not that I'm trying to intensify the rivalry, but from what I've heard from most people. I've heard better things from Tulsa than Oklahoma City. Maybe it's just because my area is closer to Tulsa and people like me are more familiar with it. I've always thought Tulsa was a pretty nice city.

Not that I'm trying to intensify the rivalry, but from what I've heard from most people.  I've heard better things from Tulsa than Oklahoma City.  Maybe it's just because my area is closer to Tulsa and people like me are more familiar with it.  I've always thought Tulsa was a pretty nice city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sure their skyline is better than okc's. but can you think of anything else? if they want to see any of the big concerts they come here because we have the accomodations for it. they have lost thousands of jobs and as a result lost thousands of people. on the other hand we have gained more jobs and thoudands more people. they have the university of tulsa, we have ou. c'mon. don't get me wrong tulsa is a very nice city.

I think if you check the stats, that info is not accurate. Both Tulsa and OKC are gaining in population, though at different rates.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mr. spartan i checked the same place you did for the population of tulsa. in 2000 the city had 393,049. in 2004 the population was 383,764. this is 2005 and i doubt that in a year they gained 9,285 people. this is OK after all.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really out of it but Tulsa "Broken Arrow" is getting a bass pro correct? I live in Stillwater & usually go to OKC b/c i can navigate the city very easily but i prefer Tulsa's bias towards OSU. That is how i view the two city's.

OKC = OU more intimidating /// Tulsa=OSU more attractive

I'm really out of it but Tulsa "Broken Arrow" is getting a bass pro correct?  I live in Stillwater & usually go to OKC b/c i can navigate the city very easily but i prefer Tulsa's bias towards OSU.  That is how i view the two city's. 

OKC = OU more intimidating /// Tulsa=OSU more attractive

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i heard that too. but i thought okc had made a deal with bass pro that it couldnt build another shop within a certain radius of the one in bricktown. and i belive that certain radius was all of OK.

i heard that too. but i thought okc had made a deal with bass pro that it couldnt build another shop within a certain radius of the one in bricktown. and i belive that certain radius was all of OK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah they tend to not build them very close to each other. That's why there won't be one built in northwest Arkansas. Because we're too close to Branson and they don't want to detract from that store. However looks like Little Rock is going to get one.

I used to go to Tulsa at least once a year, now it's been a while since I've been. I think part of it is as northwest Arkansas grows, there's more for me to do here. I don't have to go to Tulsa because there's more here in my metro than there used to be. Well that and maybe there's some laziness involved. :D But seriously guess I should head back one of these days to see what's going on.

Tulsa has one heck of a shopping center being developed currently... much like their version of Bricktown.  Movie theater, shops, and fabulous restaurants are all in the works and phase 1 is already completed.  This is directly north of the new jenks aquarium

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats nice. are they copying us?

thats nice. are they copying us?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have been to the Riverwalk, you would see that it is in no way a copy of Bricktown, the feel is different, everything is new, it's smaller and contained, it's linear instead of a three dimentional district. It's more upscale, has more retail and the resturants are for the most part local and not chains.

Besides, it's not in Tulsa, it's in Jenks.

Swake is absolutely right, but it is an entertainment district that will in my opinion stand out as a small destination point for the metro. Also have you heard any retailers moving into the area b/c when i was there all i saw were nail and tanning salons and some boutique stores. in other words nothing that would attract a whole family to shop there. Bricktowns' problem is that they seem as if they can't quite fiqure out what kind of retailers they want in the area. Plus many businesses are waiting until more hotels are built before they'll plant their roots. Swake, have you eaten at the mexican restaurant at the riverwalk? It seemed to be the most populated when i was there.

Swake is absolutely right, but it is an entertainment district that will in my opinion stand out as a small destination point for the metro.  Also have you heard any retailers moving into the area b/c when i was there all i saw were nail and tanning salons and some boutique stores.  in other words nothing that would attract a whole family to shop there.  Bricktowns' problem is that they seem as if they can't quite fiqure out what kind of retailers they want in the area.  Plus many businesses are waiting until more hotels are built before they'll plant their roots.  Swake, have you eaten at the mexican restaurant at the riverwalk?  It seemed to be the most populated when i was there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've eaten there, it's pretty good, it's tex-mex and I like more the real thing, it's a better bar than restaurant. As for the stores, there is a toy store, a furniture store, a gift shop, some others, but nothing like a department store, it's more specialty shops, the center isn't big enough for that. From what the owner has said, he does want a large bookstore and that is coming but I think that's going to be it for large stores.

Archived