SouthPoint Mall

sergpack

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

This isn't exactly SouthPoint but this seems an appropriate enough thread to post this picture in. I was recently going through some pictures and found this, I'm pretty sure this was the Belk Leggett ('98-'02 Hudson Belk) at South Square. At the time I was living in MA and was visiting family for Christmas. I heard the mall had closed, but don't ask me why I only took this one picture. This would have been December of 2002:

SouthSquare1.jpg

Amazing how old it looks compared to the Triangle's numerous newer malls/department stores of today. It's almost like looking at a picture of "old Durham" shortly before being demolished.

• 2 months later...

I still can't believe Crabtree let them get away. Which brings up another question - which mall is the "premier" mall in the Triangle these days? Seems like once Crabtree gets something exclusive (H&M), then Southpoint will get something (Crate&Barrel). Just wondering what everyone thinks?

I think it is only a "competition" between Crabtree and Southpoint. But they are two different beasts. While both could be considered super-regional malls, I think Southpoint is the more "super" of the two. There seems to be more destination retail there than at Crabtree, and it draws customers from a greater distance than Crabtree. But Crabtree to me seems to be the nicer mall. While there is an equal amount of upscale retail in both, it just feels like Crabtree is a shopping destination vs. Southpoint as an entertainment destination. Plus, Crabtree has been adapting to the customer base for almost 40 years with virtually no competition from 1972-1990s, unless you include North Hills.

In terms of aesthetics Southpoint is the clear winner IMHO, as for retail mix i think Southpoint has a slight advantage over Crabtree. My only problem with Southpoint is that I usually end up having to park so far away. If they had parking decks it would be so much easier and would also free up a lot of land for development.

What's Saks doing all by itself at Triangle Town Center, especially when L&T's departure from Crabtree left a vacant anchor space there- why didn't Saks snatch it?

I agree about Crabtree and Southpoint being the best malls. I prefer Southpoint, although I'd guess that the demographics of the area immediately around Crabtree, especially in between the mall and downtown Raleigh, would be prime.

I'm just surprised that Crate & Barrel thought the Triangle was big enough for only one store. I don't see why we can't have one at both Southpoint and Crabtree. Surely the population here is big enough for one each for Raleigh and Durham.

You're right. I also wonder if this is a sign that the Triad will have to wait a while longer before a C&B considers a location there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We we lured to the new Southpoint Crate and Barrel with a coupon for the first two weeks it was open.

It was bigger, and offered more furniture, but I liked the Crabtree Store's layout better. I was hoping for a store similar to Southpark, but once it was obvious it was only going to be single story, my hopes were lowered. The Charlotte store seems like it took the Crabtree store as a base and put furniture above it, whereas the new Southpoint store is a series of 'rooms' thrown together without much forethought.

I haven't been into Southpoint Proper since before Thanksgiving, so I don't know what is in or out there. But the Nordstrom Rack in the center across Fayetville Street was interesting, like a TJ Maxx or Marshalls, but with nicer selection at higher prices. It was quite busy but everyone working there seemed to be nice, and it was not as 'run down' as Ross or the other discount/closeout clothing retailers.

The Southpoint/Crabtree Rivalry continues. 2 weeks after Arhaus Furniture announced that they were taking over the relocated Crate & Barrel in Crabtree, Forever XXI is opening a second location in Southpoint. Apparently the Crabtree location was a major success: the Southpoint location will be even bigger, encompassing two floors previously occupied by FYE and two other tenants.

• 2 weeks later...

Forever XXI should do well at Southpoint. The f.y.e. store was truly over-sized and the store wing between Sears and Macy's has been hard to lease.

Personally, I thought Crate & Barrel did a nice job at Southpoint. They had the space to make it one level and they did a good job modifying an existing space to their own needs. They did such a good job that nobody could tell there was an Organized Living there at first.

The market is strong enough (and Crabtree Valley is far enough away) that Southpoint can shine on its own.

• 1 month later...

This isn't exactly SouthPoint but this seems an appropriate enough thread to post this picture in. I was recently going through some pictures and found this, I'm pretty sure this was the Belk Leggett ('98-'02 Hudson Belk) at South Square. At the time I was living in MA and was visiting family for Christmas. I heard the mall had closed, but don't ask me why I only took this one picture. This would have been December of 2002:

SouthSquare1.jpg

Amazing how old it looks compared to the Triangle's numerous newer malls/department stores of today. It's almost like looking at a picture of "old Durham" shortly before being demolished.

http://endangereddurham.blogspot.com/2011/07/south-square.html

More photos of S Square - Specifically its demolition :-/

• 4 weeks later...

Archived