Train depot won't house police hub

SNWEB

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MCD wont become the new Police HQ because Maroun is going to turn it into Detroits new convention center, right? Get rid of one huge undertaking for an even larger one isnt that the plan? I doubt that anything is going to happen with that building for some time.

I'm not surprised, though, I REALLY wanted SOMETHING to be done with the station. Plus, the plan for it was much more than a police station since the police station would have only filled up a few of the floors. They were planning on leasing out the rest of the space which could have been anything.

I really hope whatever happens they turn the base into a retail mall.

The cost to demolish it would be astronomical as well. I hate to disappoint you, but this thing will literally rot to the ground or get renovated eventually. The city didn't have money to tear downt the Book Cadillac, and it doesn't have money to tear down the MCS either.

It is perfect, if you happen to have over a billion dollars and are willing to invest it into a shaky Detroit economy with lousy leadership. I sure hope Maroun continues to persue this idea because im afraid that nobody else will.

It would be cool to see it turned into the hotel rather then having the same thing happen as with Madison Lenox and Statler.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't worry about it getting torn down. Feasability studies were done on the building showing that the type of reinforced concrete used defies modern explosive demolition. The building could theoretically withstand aerial bombardment if the studies are accurate. As far as manual demolition, LMich mentioned that the costs would be astronomical, which is correct. In fact, the city cannot, and will not, be able to afford demolition on this building. The cost would wipe out their budget for years to come. They also don't own the station. If you can't destroy the columns with explosives, then it's going to take human muscle to break it apart which could take years to finally lower the tower. Although tower cranes with wrecking balls could be used, they do not offer the kind of precision needed to efficiently break up the structural members of the building.

This doesn't mean the building will be good forever. Keep in mind, it's the deocrative detail that impresses us. Although it's held on well, it's lifespan has been shortened by vandals and weathering.

One of my reasons for entering that structure, was to preserve what I could in photography. If you look at my photos, and then Lowell's photos and Detroityes, you will notice a significant difference in condition.

This also brings me to:

Sorry for keeping you all hanging on my Michigan Central Station Part I out of IV. Part II will show up soon.

This is a terrible shame. I lived in Detroit for four years and this was always my favorite building.

In fact rolled up next to my computer desk are copies of the original drawings for the building. I had the opportunity to get my hands on them at one point and I did, they're pretty cool.

All the posters are correct, the building has deteriorated to the point where it is almost totally economically unfeasible to do anything with. However, if you look at it from the other side of the coin it could be the catalyst project for redeveloping the entire area. It would take a developer with cajohnes the size of church bells to try it though.

It truly is an architectural treasure. It's sad to see it like it is.

Nitro

I too would love for something to be done with the place, but I bet if you asked 1000 developers if they could do something with it for retail, transport hub, offices, etc. they would all say, no. It can be a place to explore and hold as an example for other buildings. Something like- this is what happens to buildings that are neglected and gutted. Unfortunately it will have to come down bit by bit as time and nature takes its course unless as has been mentioned you call in some precision airstrikes, but Canada might not be too happy nor would any residents and businesses for at least a mile around it. On a side, if some planning to connect the area with "Mexican Town" retail might have been viable and still may be but without it, and if they could have connected the area with downtown, a hotel/convention facility may have been viable years ago, if they'd ever drummed up a billion or more. Just opinions here, but I did talk to a guy from Farbman? I think, a few years back when working out in the suburbs, and he basically said noone would go near the place- too gutted, too expensive, every piece of anything valuable had been stripped. Indeed a once grand place, so let's pour out a little liquor and wish it a teary goodbye now, it's gone as far as anything happening to it It's been well photographed at the least. :(

Peace from DetroitBazaar

Archived