Here we grow again.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte spreads out with annexation

Charlotte officially grew by 12 square miles and 15,000 residents with 2 annexations, mostly in the Southwest (Steel Creek) and Northwest (Brookshire near the lake).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For some reason I had the idea we were annexing a heck of a lot more than just this 12 square miles. I thought we were looking at roughly 50K new residents in a much larger area. So with the addition, I was expecting the city population to be somewhere around 650K+. That would have leapfrogged us ahead to 17 in the Top 25 of US cities (as ranked by population). I wonder where we will be now??? I would assume 594+(roughly 20K through the annexation)= 610-615K.

A2

For some reason I had the idea we were annexing a heck of a lot more than just this 12 square miles.  I thought we were looking at roughly 50K. So with the addition, I was expecting the city pop to be somewhere around 650K+. That would have leapfrogged us ahead to 17 in the Top 25 of US cities (as ranked by population). I wonder where we will be now??? I would assume 594+(roughly 20K through the annexation)= 610-615K.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:

Ain't the 594,000 number from 2004? Anyways how many square miles are we now? Also ain't this the first annexation that will make Charlotte touch the Catawba River?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right it is definately an 04' census count. That would mean that we could be around the 640-650K number. That would give us some lift in the Top 25. On a side note, I thought it was really interesting that Detroit fell out of the Top 10. San Jose is now in the "Big City Club" as far as Population goes. Detroit was in the Top ten for decades. They have lost people from the city limits year after year and it finally caught up with them I guess. ;)

You are right it is definately an 04' census count. That would mean that we could be around the 640-650K number. That would give us some lift in the Top 25. On a side note, I thought it was really interesting that Detroit fell out of the Top 10. San Jose is now in the "Big City Club" as far as Population goes. Detroit was in the Top ten for decades. They have lost people from the city limits year after year and it finally caught up with them I guess.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually if you use the growth rate that we have had in the last 5 years then the city population should be somewhere around 605K. You are about 35K too high.

Actually if you use the growth rate that we have had in the last 5 years then the city population should be somewhere around 605K.  You are about 35K too high.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am counting the 594K (from 04's Census count) + the 15K which we will add through the latest annexation, which would put us at least 609-610 number. You don't think we would be a tad higher given that there is a whole year not accounted for MB??? I would assume that the city grew in population by a 2% rate in that year. (key word assume). This would yeild a pick up of around 11-12K in 05'. So MB wouldn't we be at 609K + 12K= 620K (give or take a thousand). What growth rate are you using for 5 years??? I don't have the numbers so I could be off here... ;)

A2

I will point out there were prior annexations that were included in the numbers.  Thus the estimate will include this figure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is what the Chamber is posting as of 05'. I am just copying the link. But according to them we are at roughly 633K. I do not know if they added the latest annexation though. I would assume not since it just went through today. That would bloster the pop to roughly 650K. Again, I am assuming the chamber is using us census data. They also include 2005 MSA. Currently CLT has an MSA of under 1.6 Million. THat number has dropped though as the census does not count the way they used to. If we added counties to our MSA like Lancaster and Iredale (which I have no idea why we don't), the MSA would jump to well over 2 million. (roughly 2.2M).

Here is the number direct from the US census. It has CLT pegged at roughly 585K as of 03'.

Charlotte, N.C. 584,658

Here's the link:

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...&content_id=187

Again this is just for fun. I don't really mind if CLT is 600K or 700K. I just think it would be nice to break into the top 20 since we have been so close the last few go arounds. Milwaulkee is currently in the 20th spot in 03' with a pop of 586K. Talk about close that is LESS than 2K difference.

A2

Has Charlotte ever annexed anything outside of Mecklenburg County? How politically possible is that without irking the suburban counties? I am just wondering if the city is going to run out of annexable land at some point.

NC's annexation laws really do allow for cities to grow dramatically. Atlanta has been unable to annex anything since 1952, thus its pathetic population of 419,000. I really like the way NC cities are able to grow their tax base and prevent so much balkanization of jurisdictions.

I also agree that Charlotte should focus more on density and redevelopment at some point rather than just annexation. Atlanta was loosing population until a decade or so ago (with a static boundary), but now it is growing its population by redevelopment of areas, new urbanist developments, and higher density.

Charlotte has an agreement with all the towns in Mecklenburg and city of Concord to not annex into their ETJ, however no agreement was made with Gaston. To annex into South Carolina it would require the act of both legislature of North and South Carolina. There are towns and cities in NC that are in more than one county. Kannapolis is in both Cabarrus and Rowan Counties. Another major city in the US that is in two counties is Atlanta, though the majority of Atlanta is in Fulton county with the other part in DeKalb County.

Here is the number direct from the US census. It has CLT pegged at roughly 585K as of 03'.

Charlotte, N.C. 584,658

Here's the link:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not get it from directly from the horses mouth, the US Census. http://www.census.gov

The numbers are as follows

Charlotte City

• 2000 - 560,461

• 2001 - 570,365 +9,904

• 2002 - 577,191 +6,826

• 2003 - 585,301 +8,110

• 2004 - 594,359 +9,058

During the same period

Mecklenburg

• 2000 - 700,306

• 2001 - 719,423 +19,117

• 2002 - 735,085 +15,662

• 2003 - 753,049 +17,964

• 2004 - 771,617 +18,568

Charlotte has not annexed into other counties, but there is nothing in state law that would prevent it. Durham for example exists in more than one county. However because Charlotte is bound by SC, the Catwaba River watershed, and Huntersville to the North, and Mint Hill/Matthews to the east, there is only a small patch of Union County and Cabarrus where they might be able to annex something, but it isn't likely.

On the other hand, Charlotte cannot annex into SC. Cities are incorporations of the state governments in the state they exist in. A state can't pass laws in other states.

The Chamber of Commerce's job is to make a city look good, not be a source of accurate information.    :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is very true. I agree with that 100%. The numbers are good on my last post though. I got them from the Chamber's site, but the numbers are direct from the census. I have the Charlotte Chambers website stored in my favorites, so I just use it as a quick reference guide for statistical info.

A2

Ain't the 594,000 number from 2004? Anyways how many square miles are we now? Also ain't this the first annexation that will make Charlotte touch the Catawba River?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte is now officially Water Front Property. Check out this annexation map for details. Go to Steele Creek North. Fire Station 38 will be built right on the water next year right off of Shopton Rd. West. It will have a dock and reportedly house Charlotte's first fireboat.

I have a sort of related question... why is it that if you live in Weddington, Indian Trail, parts of Marvin, Stallings or Hemby Bridge your ADDRESS is "Matthews, NC"... doesn't make sense to me the whole Matthews in Union County thing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We live in Indian Trail, but our street address is in Monroe :blink:

I think it all has to do with what post office you're closest to :unsure:

Charlotte has an agreement with all the towns in Mecklenburg and city of Concord to not annex into their ETJ, however no agreement was made with Gaston. To annex into South Carolina it would require the act of both legislature of North and South Carolina. There are towns and cities in NC that are in more than one county. Kannapolis is in both Cabarrus and Rowan Counties. Another major city in the US that is in two counties is Atlanta, though the majority of Atlanta is in Fulton county with the other part in DeKalb County.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The city of Kings Mountain has its city limits in both Cleveland and a portion of Gaston County as well.

About a decade or so ago, when Richard Vinroot was Mayor of CLT. (yes there was a time when McCroy wasn't sitting on the seat, though it does seem like forever) he made the comment that Huntersville and the other towns in the North should not be allowed to control so much of Mecklenburg and he said the EJT agreement of the last 3 decades should be thrown out.

Nothing came of it, but what it did do was to cause all of the surrounding towns inside and outside Mecklenburg, make quick moves to annex as much land as possible to keep it out of CLT's hands. Some of the municipalities even asked for voluntary annexations, making the argument "would you rather pay our taxes or CLT's". Huntersville specifically annexed all the way to the county line which effectively locks Charlotte out of ever annexing anything in N. Meck, Lincoln, and Iredell counties. So at this point, I think CLT's future annexations will basically be limited to what is currently in its EJT and nothing more.

Archived