Here we grow again.

I'm against one city being in more than one county, it causes problems, not only the city will have 2 different tax rate for each side of the counties, but the issue of ABC's jurisdiction, different side of the city will have to go to different county departments like Health and Social Services. I think Charlotte is about as large as it should get, almost 300 square miles now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Shonan area of Japan (a remote suburb of Tokyo) there are more people living on 50 sq miles than in CLT's almost 300 sq miles, and this isn't considered particularly dense there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just imagine Japan as a whole without the height restriction due to earthquakes.

In the Shonan area of Japan (a remote suburb of Tokyo) there are more people living on 50 sq miles than in CLT's almost 300 sq miles, and this isn't considered particularly dense there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it's then safe to say that there is absolutely no correlation between density and a good economy.

I guess it's then safe to say that there is absolutely no correlation between density and a good economy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well its all relative. A bad economy in Japan would be a huge booming economy here. There is a tremendous amount of money in Japan and the people there are very well off. Remember everytime someone buys their favorite Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus, Nissan, etc. where the profits end up.

Well its all relative.  A bad economy in Japan would be a huge booming economy here.  There is a tremendous amount of money in Japan and the people there are very well off.  Remember everytime someone buys their favorite Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus, Nissan, etc.  where the profits end up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you take Econ 101???

A bad economy in Japan is bad for the US.

There are many more people that share in the wealth of foreign made products. The car salesman in Charlotte received a commission. The dealership in Charlotte got a portion of the profit. Bank of America who financed the car loan receives a portion of profit in the form of interest. The US government received a portion of the profit in the form of excise taxes. The kid who washed the car while it was on the lot received a wage.... etc.

Well its all relative.  A bad economy in Japan would be a huge booming economy here.  There is a tremendous amount of money in Japan and the people there are very well off.  Remember everytime someone buys their favorite Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus, Nissan, etc.  where the profits end up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure, there is a lot of money in certain people's pockets in Japan (as is the case anywhere), but the country has been in a deep rooted recession of epic proportions since 1990. Japan's deflationary meltdown and the govt's many failed attempts at fiscal stimulus have left their taxpayers with the biggest public debt ever seen in this world. The country's auto industry has hardly been immune to this. And a lot of those profits from Japanese auto companies indirectly stay in the U.S as many of those cars and parts are made right here.

I wish the American public would take note of this. Many Americans these days are so well off on a "visual asset" or paper wealth basis - no doubt, thanks to the residential housing price bubble and the fact that they are awash in easy and cheap consumer credit - that they've forgotten how bad things can get when this delicate house of cards comes tumbling down. Well, it can get bad, like REALLY bad to the tune of a 15 year recession in a country that was once heralded as the new economic paradigm for the entire world less than 20 years ago.

The workers at GM & Ford would have a different opinion on whether Japan competes against US business as Toyota is being the pants off both of them and is moving to become the world's largest auto maker.

I would encourage anyone here to travel to Japan and see it for yourself. It is astounding at how far America has fallen behind in technology, having an educated workforce, quality of life, and sustainability.

The workers at GM & Ford would have a different opinion on whether Japan competes against US business as Toyota is being the pants off both of them and is moving to become the world's largest auto maker. 

I would encourage anyone here to travel to Japan and see it for yourself.  It is astounding at how far America has fallen behind in technology, having an educated workforce, quality of life, and sustainability.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Metro - I have been to Japan and the typical person cannot see the economic horror show that is going on with the naked eye. Walk among the bustling crowds in any Japanese downtown and it's hard NOT to believe that you are in one of the most prosperous cities in the world. Instead of boarded-up shops and office for rent signs, the streets are full of well-dressed shoppers and constructions companies are building glittering new office and residential complexes. The economic downturn, in keeping with Asian culture (which for appearance's sake tends to deeply bury and not admit to shameful events), has been burned out of sight.

See, you have fallen for the Japanese charade. Japan is experiencing something different: an "invisible recession" or a "psychological recession". Instead of responding rapidly to a downturn with painful reforms and job cuts as most Western economies do, the public and private sectors have spread HUGE adjustments out over many decades. This will merely delay the inevitable, but it has kept their standards of living artificially high for this generation. No doubt, the next generation and the children of that generation will feel the enormous economic pain.

You know what? They may have better technology and more education, but we are still a helluva lot better off economically. And at least I have room to breathe (well, when the ozone level is down). :lol:

I would debate you on quality of life. Tokyo and Osaka are the world's 2 most expensive cities. Doesn't that impact quality of life?

What horror story? No crime, an advanced transportation system, consumer goods that are 2-3 years ahead of what we see here, and full employment. The people are relatively heathy compared to the US due to quick and easy access to healthy food, easy exercise due to the constuction of the cities, and no ozone as you point out we suffer from here. From the average person's point of view I just don't see where the horror exists.

If you measure things from a western perspective then yes it is expensive, but people there don't live like westerners (a good thing) so it is pretty much a moot point.

Keep in mind the biggest debter nation on the planet is the USA.

Technology wise, everyone is further ahead than we are...I love cell phones, always getting the lastest thing. But Japan and South Korea are way ahead, they have full functioning MP3 cell phones with 3+ MP camera/camcorder phones. The main reason the US is so behind in technology is we must test for every single thing by multi agencies. FCC is boggled down in new requests for new cell phone devices, but the time they are released to the public here, it's obsolete with the rest of the world. It just that we have so many testings on products.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And if you have money in a bank savings or checking account, you are contributing to the national debt...

Foreign competition is good for the US consumer. I am glad that the Japanese can make a better, cheaper auto. That is what our domestic auto companies are worried about.

What horror story?  No crime, an advanced transportation system, consumer goods that are 2-3 years ahead of what we see here, and full employment.  The people are relatively heathy compared to the US  due to quick and easy access to healthy food, easy exercise due to the constuction of the cities, and no ozone as you point out we suffer from here.  From the average person's point of view I just don't see where the horror exists. 

If you measure things from a western perspective then yes it is expensive, but people there don't live like westerners (a good thing) so it is pretty much a moot point. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heathy? Maybe in the body, but not the mind. Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world. U.S isn't even close. That doesn't sound like a happy bunch of campers to me, if life really is so good there.

And as far as debt, you're not comparing apples-to-apples. The numbers are truly stunning: Japan's swelling public debt is 140% of their GDP--over twice the relatively modest U.S. rate of 55% of GDP. No other developed country is even close to Japan. In fact, their debt crisis will likely have a looming global impact as hueion says. In fact, the rating agencies have affirmed this, by placing Japan's sovereign debt on negative outlook.

Who cares if Japanese people want to commit suicide more often or if our buildings are smaller than theirs and who has less pollution. I started this topic to talk bout CHARLOTTE and CHARLOTTE'S GROWTH. Can we please return to that?

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder if it will be of the same type of fireboat that Huntersville uses?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cornelius in the hunt for a brand new fireboat

Looks like Charlotte Fire Department just got some competition on the lake.

The Cornelius-Lemley Volunteer Fire Department (CLVFD) has applied for a $260,000 FEMA grant that would allow it to purchase a new Metalcraft Marine fireboat.Cornelius would share the boat with 10 other lake-area agencies,a cooperative venture that is necessary in a number of ways, says captain Greg Shaner of the CLVFD

local05.jpg

They make mention of the Gilead Volunteer Fire Department's boat in that article which is the Huntersville fireboat that I was referring to. Its one of the bigger boats on the South end of Lake Norman. The Gilead Dept is actually funded by Huntersville now. That location has a smaller rigid inflatable fire boat too. (think the inflatables used by the marines).

Lets not be so rosy minded when it coems to Japanese business practices. For one the trade barriers put on american products is shameful. As for better technology most of their innovations came from american or some other source. They just repackage it and refuse to honor the patent rights. Don't sell Ford or GM short. It is hard to compete against an opponent when they have an unfair advantage. Also they do not have the burden of paying for a large military for protection or war. all of our companies can compete with any country on earth if the field is level. I can affirm all of this because I lived there for 4 years and dated a well to do Japanese girl. Granted GM needs to reduce cost get rid of redundant model lines and streamline healthcare to a managable level. Now back to Charlotte. At least they haven't annexed the whole county and claim numbers that are a bit misleading. Besides look at the growth uptown and I think the trend in the future will be urban living.

Heathy?  Maybe in the body, but not the mind.  Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world.  U.S isn't even close.  That doesn't sound like a happy bunch of campers to me, if life really is so good there.

And as far as debt, you're not comparing apples-to-apples.  The numbers are truly stunning: Japan's swelling public debt is 140% of their GDP--over twice the relatively modest U.S. rate of 55% of GDP.  No other developed country is even close to Japan.  In fact, their debt crisis will likely have a looming global impact as hueion says.  In fact, the rating agencies have affirmed this, by placing Japan's sovereign debt on negative outlook.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found this because I was very surprised to read that you said Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world. I always heard that dark places (like Iceland) had a much higher suicide rate. Well Iceland isn't there and neither is Japan although Finland is, which surprised me for some reason (I guess I thought a higher standard of living might make it less so. But I obviously don't know all the factors.) Looking for this online though, (if you further break down statistics) a recent study shows teenaged females in India have the highest rate of suicide in the world. In most other countries, it is the males who commit suicide at a higher rate.

Rank / Country / Suicides per 100,000 inhabitants per year

1 / Lithuania / 42.0

2 / Russia / 37.4

3 / Belarus / 35.0

4 / Latvia / 34.3

5 / Estonia / 33.2

6 / Hungary / 32.1

7 / Slovenia / 30.9

8 / Ukraine / 29.4

9 / Kazakhstan / 28.7

10 / Finland / 24.3

Archived