West End Starbucks

it's just dave

Starbucks is Starbucks I suppose, but I'm a bit happy about this one. The old Captain D's on West End is being replaced by a slick new Starbucks with drive up service. I guess the trendies in their expensive new condos won't have to smell the fried fishies much longer. This will fit nicely with the Starbucks two blocks away next to Borders....gosh, is this Seattle? lol

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=42587

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a Starbucks on every corner, perhaps we will one day pine away for the old stuff like Captain D's.

There's a town in Minnesota that entices newcomers with its motto: "Secede from Starbucks Nation".

I only ate at a Captain D's once in my life, in Newport TN. My wife and I had just finished a 35 mile hike on the Appalachian Trail and were ready for anything that wasn't rehydrated grub. I couldn't believe the fish--actually it was some congealed fish paste, molded into fish-looking figurines, and fried. Couldn't even eat it. We fed it to raccoons.

I've never been to a Starbucks. I guess that makes me special. lol

I don't think Captain D's exists for us, sleepy, lol. It's not pretty, but popular among the fish paste set. They have added nice broiled stuff, but it's still CD's. Yuck. The best fish around are those little fish places in predominantly black areas...it's the real deal.

Anyway, with the new Urban Zoning regulations and landscape ordinances, I'm looking forward to the old D's lot actually looking good. Starbucks or Hooters, doesn't matter, it'll sure look better than all that street side asphalt that will bite the dust soon. :)

You ATE in Newport? Oh my, it might have been fried rattlesnake that died after an overly zealous church service.

You ATE in Newport? Oh my, it might have been fried rattlesnake that died after an overly zealous church service.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol :rofl: if you want some good fish in nashville, go to the florida seafood kitchen across from grassmere. cheap and a lot of food. man i'm hungry now....haha

I always thought it was funny when I came out of Rumba and a bunch of old people in Buicks and Oldsmobile's were coming out of Captain D's. They all looked 80 and in very decrepit shape. Unhealthy I mean. The sign that said $3.99 special was particularly funny. All you get for that is fried grease and fat sauted' in fat and grease with a fat and grease glaze followed by a fat and grease garnish. :sick:

One of my favorite places in New Orleans was Rocky and Carlos in Chalmette--fried shrimp, fried oysters, fried trout, fried everything, you name it. It was right across the highway from oil refinery storage tanks, yet it was generally believed that the tanks held cooking oil, piped straight into Rocky's kitchen.

Something independent would be nice. The cafes around town (check out the new Kijiji coffee house on Second (jazz theme) are great. You're right about the $$. I think First Tennessee paid $3.5 million for less than the acre where the Mapco was. UZO is giving them the once over so as not to overdevelop for the size of the lot, but it's coming along. 1st Tn usually does an good job with their branches. Pretty darn pricey, I'd say.

I'd rather see the Captain D's stay then to see Starbucks replace it. I believe Capt. D's is a Nashville based chain though is it not?

Long John Silvers is better for fast-food seafood anyways...not many, if any, in Nashville though. I only eat chicken and shrimp from there though....not big on fast food fish period. LOL

I'd rather see the Captain D's stay then to see Starbucks replace it. I believe Capt. D's is a Nashville based chain though is it not?

Long John Silvers is better for fast-food seafood anyways...not many, if any, in Nashville though. I only eat chicken and shrimp from there though....not big on fast food fish period. LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I've asked this somewhere before in the past few years---

Is the Burger King at West End and 21st still around? I remember when whoppers were about 65 cents.

There's still some Long John's around, some stand alone, some combos with places like A&W and Arby's.

sleep, the Burger King on 21st worn torn down and replaced with a Panera Bread some time ago (next to Starbucks....the original O'Charley's location). Ireland's is a steakhouse called Nick and Rudy's, Vandy took over the IHOP, tore it down and is doing nothing with so far but a parking lot, the cool little Italian restaurant is now a Mellow Mushroon Pizza place, there's a Ben & Jerry's, San Antonio Taco, and a cool new oyster house in that block. Lots of changes. Many of the BK's have closed. I noticed the one is Donleson is going down to make way for a Fifth Third Bank. The one in Green Hills closed and became an extension of the expensive garden center on Hillsboro. Several others are gone, too. I better get one of those little paper crowns while I still can.

I still miss the Krystal and Krispy Kreme on West End. Ahhhh, now THOSE were some late night goodies. I'm SURE you remember, lol.

Archived