orulz

Asheville Mall

The Best Buy in south Asheville was rumored to close, but it was not on the list. As Best Buy continues to struggle, I can see them closing their south Asheville location anyway. I wonder about the one in Waynesville, too. That one hasn't been open for much longer than 2 years, if I am correct.

The last time I remember going into a Best Buy, they would never have anything I wanted in stock, whether it be a DVD or CD. They would always say, "We can order it for you," and I'd be saying, "So can I, on Amazon." Best Buy will probably also be gone around the time of B & N's exit. Media sales will be primarily over the internet (via streaming and downloading) and regular CDs and DVDs will still be easier to have shipped to your house, rather than "going out to buy a CD." If Best Buy just opened up a smaller type store, focusing on TVs, DVD players, and cell phone sales, they might actually make it, but I doubt the execs would go for that.

Yes, most malls across the country are not the shopping meccas that they once were. Not only because of the cash-strapped Americans, but because those Americans ave created a new sense of compassion for the smaller, village-like city shopping districts (and lifestyle centers).

And in terms of visiting downtown Asheville...are you kidding? THat is one of North Carolina's most delightful cities! I bring friends from VA, Chicago, Scotland, and Germany to visit every time they visit me in Greensboro. And I have no Asheville-affiliation. I just think it is one of America's most unique places to go.

I think the Asheville Mall is actually doing pretty good, or at least okay. The sales per square foot is $360, slightly higher than the national average. Plus, we have the biggest Sears in the Carolinas, and we all know that hardly anyone shops at Sears. So, if it would be replaced with something such as Macy's then the sales per square foot. I think that now that the economy is improving, and people seem to be buying more I don't think malls are going anywhere. The biggest reason why lifestyle centers were built was because they are cheaper to build than malls. Unless they are really nice lifestyle centers such as the Domain in Austin, Americana at Brand in Glendale, CA, etc., then people don't particularly like them any more than malls. I think that Asheville Mall is a good size, because when malls are too big for the city like Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem, the sales per square foot numbers go really far down. Hanes finally went over 300 last year, going from under the national average to on par. It was 280 before. To compare, SouthPark in Charlotte, which is only a little larger than Hanes, is $750. I could see Asheville go from 360 to 400, but I can't see it getting much higher than that.

As for downtown Asheville, It is very nice on sunny days with happy people. I don't think you have seen it the other times. The times that there are the topless rally, Occupy, drug deals, etc. We were just driving through on Biltmore Ave and it smelled really bad, from what I could tell I think it may have been marijuana. I like Asheville, but I think I am ready to move on. Like most tourist destinations, they are great to visit, but not always to live. I really like Charlotte, and you usually get paid more there and it costs less to live there. Don't know how this relates to the mall or anything though, lol. Well maybe I'm a shopaholic and SouthPark is my favorite mall, and I don't care for Asheville Mall too much anymore. J. Crew is in Biltmore Village but it's a pain to get there and it's hard to park.

I think the Asheville Mall is actually doing pretty good, or at least okay. The sales per square foot is $360, slightly higher than the national average. Plus, we have the biggest Sears in the Carolinas, and we all know that hardly anyone shops at Sears. So, if it would be replaced with something such as Macy's then the sales per square foot. I think that now that the economy is improving, and people seem to be buying more I don't think malls are going anywhere. The biggest reason why lifestyle centers were built was because they are cheaper to build than malls. Unless they are really nice lifestyle centers such as the Domain in Austin, Americana at Brand in Glendale, CA, etc., then people don't particularly like them any more than malls. I think that Asheville Mall is a good size, because when malls are too big for the city like Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem, the sales per square foot numbers go really far down. Hanes finally went over 300 last year, going from under the national average to on par. It was 280 before. To compare, SouthPark in Charlotte, which is only a little larger than Hanes, is $750. I could see Asheville go from 360 to 400, but I can't see it getting much higher than that.

As for downtown Asheville, It is very nice on sunny days with happy people. I don't think you have seen it the other times. The times that there are the topless rally, Occupy, drug deals, etc. We were just driving through on Biltmore Ave and it smelled really bad, from what I could tell I think it may have been marijuana. I like Asheville, but I think I am ready to move on. Like most tourist destinations, they are great to visit, but not always to live. I really like Charlotte, and you usually get paid more there and it costs less to live there. Don't know how this relates to the mall or anything though, lol. Well maybe I'm a shopaholic and SouthPark is my favorite mall, and I don't care for Asheville Mall too much anymore. J. Crew is in Biltmore Village but it's a pain to get there and it's hard to park.

i agree with a lot of the things you said. As far as the mall debate goes, it just seems to me that it is in a crappy area of town. Tunnel Rd. isn't that great of an area, especially the north part. I drive up and down that section at least three or four times a week, and I see a lot of loitering, crackheads, and no effort is really being made to improve it other than building a car wash and vitamin store. I don't frequent that mall as much as the defunct Biltmore Square or the Biltmore Park plaza. They are just nicer areas with easier access and less traffic. However, if some people still like the Asheville Mall that's fine, but I honestly cannot see it as a mall that would be attracting higher end stores in the future.