54 condos planned atop Giant Eagle in Shadyside

mjcatl2

Shadyside's first major condominium project in 20 years will attempt to capture the lifestyle of affluent residents who lived there 100 years ago, developers said Thursday.

"It is the first project in Pittsburgh that combines condominiums with a supermarket," said William Krahe, president of Echo Real Estate, developer of the $45 million expansion of the Giant Eagle supermarket in Shadyside that includes construction of 54 condominiums above the store.

The project will nearly quadruple the size of the Giant Eagle from 18,000 to more than 70,000 square feet, with completion expected in spring. The five-story structure to house the condos, called Market House, is expected to be available for occupancy in late February or early March, developers said during a tour of the site at Centre and South Negley avenues.

more.... http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...s/s_349210.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is very cool news Gerbil!

Here is the concept of the new center:

0701bgiant-a.jpg

One point of contention I have (and this doesn't mean this is not excellent news) is again this is that 6 floor level that PNC firstside, equitable, delmonte, alcoa, the northshore hotel, etc. etc. etc. are all copying, I just wish some of these things would be 12 floors or more ;)

I think that the design is fine and contemporary. Though it looks awkward not being the same dimentions as the Giant eagle below. I too, wish thee projects would be taller. Not simply for the sake of being taller, but because Pittsburgh more than most cities has little urban room to grow and to me - especially the North shore is a wasted opportunity.

I think that the design is fine and contemporary.  Though it looks awkward not being the same dimentions as the Giant eagle below.  I too, wish thee projects would be taller.  Not simply for the sake of being taller, but because Pittsburgh more than most cities has little urban room to grow  and to me - especially the North shore is a wasted opportunity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does look very awkward. It is as if they took an old-folks home and plopped it on top of a Giant Eagle! :)

I think that location (at the joining point of East Liberty and Shadyside) is important enough that a more substantial and more aesthetic development would have been better. After all, it is the gateway to both areas. However, I can't dictate what the developer wants to put up. Its certainly better than having just the Giant Eagle.

Archived