IN PROGRESS: The Dynamo House (Heritage Harbor)

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is what they wanted, correct? They submitted the application if I remember...

- Garris

If I'm not mistaken, this means that SBER can now leverage the RI historic tax credit, which can be used to partially finance the construction costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating article. So the condo component of this is out (and presumably, the two additional structures they wanted to build North of the existing buildings fronting the coming 195 park are out as well... There's no mention of them in the story).

I can't wait to see more details.

- Garris

Fascinating article. So the condo component of this is out (and presumably, the two additional structures they wanted to build North of the existing buildings fronting the coming 195 park are out as well... There's no mention of them in the story).

- Garris

My impression is that the additional buildings were to be added at a later time.

My impression is that the additional buildings were to be added at a later time.

That's my impression too.

Struever Bros. has named the waterfront section that runs from the Point Street bridge to downtown Providence Point and it hopes the name sticks.

I'm not feeling this Providence Point moniker.

I love this idea - Heritage Harbor museum is something I've been waiting for as a really strong draw (and something more to do) in Providence. The hotel sounds nice too. I'm actually more excited about this project than Alco...

I like the name too!

I'll assume they will get the 130K feet of office space ready on spec, which will surely help RI and Providence attract some of the talked about 'larger' corporate interests to relocate here. Having 'move-in' space like this in the inventory will surely land someone significant. What a great location too - through in adjacent hotel rooms for corporate visitors and the museum too - unmatched location at least in RI - maybe most of New England, save Boston, IMHO

Museum has a new website:

www.heritageharbor.org

Providence Point sounds like a generic marketing term as opposed to something really intrinsic to the city. I do like the supersize clock that's going to be where the Heritage Harbor sign now is on the east side of the building though. (Scroll down: http://www.heritageharbor.org/?id=13).

Fascinating article. So the condo component of this is out

- Garris

I'm actually really excited that they have taken out the condo component. I think we are very quickly rounding the corner on condos being WAY overbuilt. I have this fear that the end of the condo building boom would also mean the end of the development boom in PVD in general. Projects like this and E@B make me feel really good about the direction of things. I would also love to see some lower end mixed use projects, like perhaps a mill conversion that provides an urban Target combined with a sub $100 hotel.

Liam (Sick of condos!)

I think we are very quickly rounding the corner on condos being WAY overbuilt. I have this fear that the end of the condo building boom would also mean the end of the development boom in PVD in general. Projects like this and E@B make me feel really good about the direction of things.

I agree that we're probably rounding the corner on the luxury condos. I too had the same fear regarding the luxury condo boom, that being "end of luxury condos=end of PVD development boom." These recent annoucements are indeed very encouraging.

I would also love to see some lower end mixed use projects, like perhaps a mill conversion that provides an urban Target combined with a sub $100 hotel.

I really, really think the Jewelry District is the perfect place for such lower end, mixed used projects. The area has buildings already there that are appropriate for this use and it's perfectly located between places people actually work (RIH, WIH, downtown, Brown, RISD). The JD really, all hype aside, really doesn't have that much right now.

I think (hope?) that as the time for the 195 land use gets closer that the the JD will attract such lower end, mixed use attention.

www.heritageharbor.org

Nice find...

Here are two images from the site:

1.gif

Day%20view%2005-15-06.JPG

- Garris

PS: BTW, before people start screaming "How can we maintain yet more new hotel rooms!?!?" remember where this will be. I bet the hospitals (WIH, RIH) are very happy to hear about the hotel component, as patients and families wanting to stay right nearby the hospitals really have no option currently. Now, they'll virtually be able to stay within walking distance right down Eddy street. I bet, in the future, hospital business alone could almost maintain the hotel...

well, the condos will bring in residents and those residenst will use the existing food/retail supply. Once 110, Continental, the Foundry, etc. are finished, the need for bsaic retail (food, drug, gen merchandise) will explode and we can assume be addressed. The corporate/commercial component should also see all this and be even more enticed to locate in the city which will have several 'new' spaces of differant sizes to lease. They all depend on one another really, but the condos are needed to supply the people to shop and work first...

PS: BTW, before people start screaming "How can we maintain yet more new hotel rooms!?!?" remember where this will be. I bet the hospitals (WIH, RIH) are very happy to hear about the hotel component, as patients and families wanting to stay right nearby the hospitals really have no option currently. Now, they'll virtually be able to stay within walking distance right down Eddy street. I bet, in the future, hospital business alone could almost maintain the hotel...

Yes, the general JD area has been one place I'd like to see a new low-end hotel (which this will not be). Holiday Inn Express (now that we're losing the Holiday Inn) type place for families of patients at the hospital. Boston has these types of places in Longwood and at MGH. Perhaps somewhere further into the JD (i.e. off the water, where real estate will be priced higher), would be a good place for a lower-end hotel.

Day%20view%2005-15-06.JPG

does anyone know what the sloop is in this picture? I have to assume it is part of the museum since the mast wouldn't go under the hurricane barrier or the Point St. bridge (or, presumably, the new 195 bridge) It could be Sloop Providence but last I knew that still sailed, which won't be possible from that spot.

I bet the hospitals (WIH, RIH) are very happy to hear about the hotel component, as patients and families wanting to stay right nearby the hospitals really have no option currently. Now, they'll virtually be able to stay within walking distance right down Eddy street. I bet, in the future, hospital business alone could almost maintain the hotel...

I'm not sure... it seems this would be a very upscale property and most of the rooms from hospital visitors would presumably still go to Warwick/Jefferson Blvd. I've been saying this forever - we need economy limited-service accomodations in Providence. Its an untapped market and whoever wants to go first will simply clean up.

I didn't notice the footbridge... was it mentioned anywhere in the plans? Imagine the views! It would make a very nice amenity!

does anyone know what the sloop is in this picture? I have to assume it is part of the museum since the mast wouldn't go under the hurricane barrier or the Point St. bridge (or, presumably, the new 195 bridge) It could be Sloop Providence but last I knew that still sailed, which won't be possible from that spot.

Yes, a ship in that spot would have to be a permanent exhibit, would be nice to see some sort of boat/ship docked there though. Sloop Providence still very much sails, and is supposedly going to Providence Piers.

Does everyone notice the foot bridge in this render? How wonderful would that be.

I didn't notice that, it's sweet. We should certainly hold out for a signature structure at that location.

I didn't notice the footbridge... was it mentioned anywhere in the plans? Imagine the views! It would make a very nice amenity!

I think that's just the architect having fun with the rendering, the bridge is a civic project. Though is SBE&R wants to build that, I say let 'em do it.

www.heritageharbor.org

Providence Point sounds like a generic marketing term as opposed to something really intrinsic to the city. I do like the supersize clock that's going to be where the Heritage Harbor sign now is on the east side of the building though. (Scroll down: http://www.heritageharbor.org/?id=13).

The whole building is not something that is specific to our city. Every city has power plants [some w/ very similar styles, a lot of cities have water/rivers, and a lot of cities have power plants close to their water/rivers. One would only need to look at Baltimore where Struever is from.

http://espnzone.com/baltimore/

They have a VERY similar, and very succesful, power-plant-turned-mixed-use-entertainment-complex

called... here it is... "THE POWER PLANT" lol... and do you know where it is???? here it comes again... "THE INNER HARBOR" ...hahaha

http://www.soulofamerica.com/images/photos...Plant_day-t.jpg

the marketing terms are meant to be "blaaah-zay" its supposed to not offend locals but be common enough for visitors to idenitfy with. its funny whats in a name. the success of the name will be directly related to the physical and economic success of the facility.

I'm actually really excited that they have taken out the condo component. I think we are very quickly rounding the corner on condos being WAY overbuilt.

I concur. This is a project that Providence badly needs. It really is the missing museum for Providence and will compliment the RISD Art museum perfectly. I've been waiting 10 years for this to get built. I do hope they leave enough room for expansion.

I concur. This is a project that Providence badly needs. It really is the missing museum for Providence and will compliment the RISD Art museum perfectly...

Absolutely. I'm guessing that the RISD Chase Center and this will be done about the same time, giving Providence two hugely visible and accessable downtown museums. This "dynamic duo" will allow someone to essentially be able to "weekend" in Providence and spend much of it in museums, as people will often do when traveling if there aren't any plays or music in town.

Next, I'd like someone to convince J&W to move their very highly regarded (but nearly invisible by the harborside) Culinary Museum downtown as well. That would give us three high profile museums right in town. Plug in some peripheral museum-esque attractions like the John Brown and Aldrich Museum Houses on the East Side and the Providence Athenaeum plus the Russian Sub museum and (marginal) Children's Museum for kids and you've got a complete museum package, especially for a city our size...

- Garris

Archived