IN PROGRESS: The Dynamo House (Heritage Harbor)

It will be interesting to see the jump in interest in those parking lots in the JD after 195 comes down and some new structures start going up... you thought the JD was expensive now!

I have faith in SBER (so far). They have many interesting projects on their website done down in Baltimore that are mixed use residential/commercial right on the waterfront. This fits in nicely with what they do well. I just knew they were going to do more in this city when I heard they opened a branch office in the Rising Sun complex.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't imagine where Baltimore would be without SBER.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone needs to develop the parking lot at 1 Davol Square.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Several plans for Providence (including Prov 2020) assume that parking lot will be developed. All I know, though, is whatever building is put there has to include a parking garage, as that lot is overflowing during the day with workers and visitors to Davol Sq and is packed at night with people going to the gym there and to the Hi-Hat. Where else would those people park nearby?

- Garris

Where else would those people park nearby?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In their driveways and take the new Eddy Street streetcar. :D

Seriously though, you are right. I think the JD Plan calls for a parking garage across the street where the Ferry parking is now, with liner buildings around it. The 1 Davol Sq. parking lot would be nice with 3 or 4 new mill style buildings (remember J.G. Goffs is coming down :( ), and having a meandering pedestrian pattern leading between the buildings and down to the water.

I remember that they were talking a while back about building a parking garage north of Heritage Harbor on that extensive piece of land where the 1950s part of the power plant used to be. Remember that bldg with the neon Narragansett Electric sign and the clock?

http://www.providenceri.com/sandor/Provide...t_electric.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A couple months ago my Tivo had recorded some 80's show on VH1 Classic. I was ffwd'ing through it and came across a Beaver Brown Band video that showed clips of this sign as well as them walking around what I think was downtown Pawtucket. Funny stuff.

Liam

A couple months ago my Tivo had recorded some 80's show on VH1 Classic. I was ffwd'ing through it and came across a Beaver Brown Band video that showed clips of this sign as well as them walking around what I think was downtown Pawtucket. Funny stuff.

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How cool. I actually kinda miss the heavily industrialized look of that area, with overhead coal conveyors spanning Point St, and of course that looming 50s style structure in the Beaver Brown video.

Ugly in a conventional way, but also exhilerating like the stretch of the Jersey Turnpike near Newark airport with all the chemical plants and oil refineries.

Ugly in a conventional way, but also exhilerating like the stretch of the Jersey Turnpike near Newark airport with all the chemical plants and oil refineries.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, how cool it is to drive down the NJ Turnpike, inhaling all those fumes from the chemical plants and god only knows what else. It dosen't get any better than that :whistling:

Clears the sinuses every time!

Yeah, how cool it is to drive down the NJ Turnpike, inhaling all those fumes from the chemical plants and god only knows what else. It dosen't get any better than that  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:sick:

I'm glad it's gone. The riverwalk we're gonna end up with now wouldn't be possible wth all that industrial crap still there.

I'd rather have the riverwalk and all that too. But that industrial crap was kinda cool looking - at least for me if not for you. :)

:sick:

I'm glad it's gone.  The riverwalk we're gonna end up with now wouldn't be possible wth all that industrial crap still there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 months later...

Came across this article on the Struever Bros. Heritage Harbor project and it contained some details that I was unaware of.

http://www.cpnonline.com/cpn/specialties/a...t_id=1000971910

Forgive me if this is just old news, but the partners include not just HH and SBER but also Lyme Properties from Boston/Cambridge as well as Brown University. Apparently Newport Collaborative has been selected as the lead architect. Construction is supposed to begin early next year.

• 4 weeks later...

45000 sq feet doesnt sound that big for the harbor heritage museum. Isnt it supposed to have many museums in it, including a replica RI house, a model railroad and a steam engine?

I think they've already mentioned in previous newspaper articles that it's going to be scaled back somewhat, which has some folks very angry (I think some of the groups that were going to be part of the coalition were reappraising their involvement). I think the replica RI house in particular is going to be cut back...

- Garris

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

also, screw streuver.

only going to put 2% of the valley project cost into a community fund, while asking for $40 mil from the city... but willing to spend $4 million on decorative smokestacks at heritage harbor, to make "providence, like, the coolest city ever, man" (according to what he said at that waterfront conf a couple weeks ago.)

can't wait for him to turn manchester st into a barnes and hard rock cafe

The project seems to be making its way through the development process. Found the National Register application online:

http://www.rihphc.state.ri.us/pdfs_zips/na...outhstation.pdf

Very in-depth history of the buildng with some cool old photos showing that there was once a huge illuminated sign USE ELECTRICAL SERVICE on the smoke stacks.

• 1 month later...

dynamo-rend001.jpg

dynamo-hh-plan001.jpg

My understanding is that the spot that is labeled "Proposed Residential Buildings and Parking Structures" could be as tall as the towers on the Manchester Street Power Station. The park area is the proposed Waterfron Park, the layout for that is not what will be built, it's just a placeholder.

If this comes to fruition as planned and is successful, it could replace the altered Chase Center and Masonic Hotel redo as my most anticipated Providence project. Plus the logo for the Dynamo House is incredibly cool, and I want it on a t-shirt...

Some interesting things about the .pdf:

- Their map with "Duvall" Square (is Robert involved?!?)

- They are using one of my early Federal Hill photos! (before I started putting copyrights on them, and since I've only posted them at UP and my own website, they had to take it from one of those sources)

I'm thrilled they will be putting back (fake) smokestacks as, with the ones from the Manchester Power Station across the street, these could all rapidly become a Providence styling trademark. The real and fake stacks will almost create their own unique skyline. Putting two tall buildings between them would be even cooler. St. Louis has the arch, Seattle the Needle, and Providence could have the Stacks...

- Garris

Some interesting things about the .pdf:

- Their map with "Duvall" Square (is Robert involved?!?)

They also have Dean Street labelled as Ocean Street and Routes 6/10 labelled as Route 106 on the ALCO plans. :rolleyes:

- They are using one of my early Federal Hill photos! (before I started putting copyrights on them, and since I've only posted them at UP and my own website, they had to take it from one of those sources)

Annoying that they took your photo without asking, cool that they liked it enough to take it. You should send them an email letting them know if they like your photos so much you'd be happy to be compensated to take some more for them.

Archived