IN PROGRESS: The Dynamo House (Heritage Harbor)

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thrilled they will be putting back (fake) smokestacks

I would imagine the smokestacks and sign will be the first thing attacked by the East Side neighborhood associations. The sign faces the East Side.

Let's annex the East side to either East Providence or Pawtucket. :lol:

No way!! You KNOW they'll have issues with our own (EP's) waterfront development too! Better to keep 'em in Providence out of our hair! :P

No way!! You KNOW they'll have issues with our own (EP's) waterfront development too! Better to keep 'em in Providence out of our hair! :P

I don't know about that... EP seems to fly below much of Providence's radar, East Side included...

I think EP and Pawtucket are the next two areas primed for growth and improvement. Pawtucket due to its downtown potential, and EP just because the East Side is getting so expensive and built out that communal institutions wanting to expand and stay close by won't be able to do it on the East Side. EP is the next obvious location.

- Garris

What happened to the 7-screen art movie theatre that Struever mentioned at the PPS waterfront forum? And how about that pedestrian bridge across the river? Not part of the upcoming park competition, but hopefully inevitable?

And how about that pedestrian bridge across the river? Not part of the upcoming park competition, but hopefully inevitable?

The pedestrian bridge is part of the Waterfront Park competition. What is hoped will be possible is to reuse the piers that the current Route 195 Providence River Bridge sits on.

I'm sure the gym will have some sort of validation program.

they probably will, i liked having that view and access though. But that is my yuppie side coming out I guess -_-

Making sure the public has access to the waterfront is pretty important. Be interesting to see the details of that as the plan shapes up.

- They are using one of my early Federal Hill photos! (before I started putting copyrights on them, and since I've only posted them at UP and my own website, they had to take it from one of those sources)

- Garris

For what its worth, copyright attaches when you create the picture, whether you register the items as copyrighted or not. Registering merely affects potential remedies etc..

I was driving up 95 north today, and I think the dynamo house will look nice from that angle, I was also thinking once the westin side gets built up and 110 goes up, its going to be a hell of sight coming into providence from the south.

Definitely cool, but man the name is so cheesy. I know its not what SBER came up with, that this was the original name.

Call me juvenile, I just cant help but snicker everytime I hear it. To have it emblazoned in big letters would crack me up everytime.

Just sounds like a retirement home for superheroes.

I hope they will give JG Goff's a good shot at one of the primo retail spaces, perhaps in the "proposed" building between point st. and the power station. Now that the weather is fair again, I am really missing the place.

The pedestrian bridge is part of the Waterfront Park competition. What is hoped will be possible is to reuse the piers that the current Route 195 Providence River Bridge sits on.

I thought the competition was just for the two parcels, not for the bridge itself. The competition brief says "Relationship between the east and west sides of the design area assuming a pedestrian bridge connects the two sides at the same location as the highway" but it asks that costs don't exceed $3.6mil for the west parcel and $800,000 for the east parcel. Who buys the bridge? What is its budget?

And what about the art cinema at south st station?

While I am disappointed with a scaled back Heritage Harboro museum, I am anticipating this project for its healthy mix of residential and commercial development.

With all the marketing and investment, in terms of time and finances, that companies put into putting together a proper proposal like this. I think they could do better than 'Dynamo House.' It doesn't exactly evoke a development like this when I hear the name for the first time. If it was named Heritage Harbor, the museum would be a nice fit w/ this new 'community development' or South Street Station, for that matter, in my humble opinion. But, it may just take some time to grow on me, (so if I change my opinion later, please don't take it as hypocritical.) Also, while I am a bit of a nostalgic, I am not sure if the smokestacks would blend and fit in with this new development. Then again, who would have though a blue-and-yellow bug on top of a building would become a key part of Providence's identity? :D

They did a great job integrating the open space and the harbor. This will really be an excellent addition to this part of the Renaissance City - the ampitheather, the new community park. That area desperately needs some parking and that new parking structure is long overdue. The new residential and commercial/hotel property will offer some nice views of the harbor but I'm not sure how the views from 'on the waterfront' will be altered when the new highway is completed -- hopefully for the better.

Archived