IN PROGRESS: The Dynamo House (Heritage Harbor)

Definitely cool, but man the name is so cheesy. I know its not what SBER came up with, that this was the original name.

Call me juvenile, I just cant help but snicker everytime I hear it. To have it emblazoned in big letters would crack me up everytime.

Just sounds like a retirement home for superheroes.

:rofl:

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they could do better than 'Dynamo House.' It doesn't exactly evoke a development like this when I hear the name for the first time. If it was named Heritage Harbor, the museum would be a nice fit w/ this new 'community development' or South Street Station, for that matter, in my humble opinion.

I think that the name says a lot about the project. The name "Heritage Harbor" would give me a mental image of faux colonialism and vinyl siding. Like a townhouse complex overlooking the water in Warwick. Dynamo House is very unconventional sounding. It gives me a gut feeling of young, hip, and edgy Immediately setting it apart from other condo developments going on in the city. If you knew nothing about the projects aside from name, where would the younger hipper demographic be - One Ten Westminster or Dynamo House? I think that developments like Rising Sun and Dynamo House are doing a good job of getting their image across simply with their names and graphic design. it's good marketing.

When I was at Durham NC I went to the American tobacco also redone by these guys. Not a great name but they stick to what was original and part of history.

http://www.americantobaccohistoricdistrict.com/

I must add they rebuilt American tobacco beautifully and it was an impressive complex.

This should give you an idea of the scope of the project. The water features where impressive: http://www.americantobaccohistoricdistrict...tenants_map.pdf

I think that the name says a lot about the project. The name "Heritage Harbor" would give me a mental image of faux colonialism and vinyl siding. Like a townhouse complex overlooking the water in Warwick. Dynamo House is very unconventional sounding. It gives me a gut feeling of young, hip, and edgy Immediately setting it apart from other condo developments going on in the city. If you knew nothing about the projects aside from name, where would the younger hipper demographic be - One Ten Westminster or Dynamo House? I think that developments like Rising Sun and Dynamo House are doing a good job of getting their image across simply with their names and graphic design. it's good marketing.

I dont think Heritage Harbor is a great name either and it invokes for me the same kind of faux touristy crap that it does for you...Heritage harbor sounds like a retirement home.

Dynamo House though, thats just not doing it for me. To me not hip or edgy. However, since it is the original name, I respect it and at least I have a good story about it when the inevitable questions come up from my out of state friends about it.

Dynamo House though, thats just not doing it for me. To me not hip or edgy. However, since it is the original name, I respect it and at least I have a good story about it when the inevitable questions come up from my out of state friends about it.

It sounds like the perfect place for Emeril to put in one of his restaurants. "Come kick it up a notch at the new Emeril's at the Dynamo! BAM!"

The historic name of the place is the South Street Station. (The Manchester St. Station is the one in my avatar.)

Struever was using South St. Station for a while and then dropped it in favor of Dynamo House. Maybe they thought South St. Station sounded too generic or too much like South Station in Boston.

The historic name of the place is the South Street Station. (The Manchester St. Station is the one in my avatar.)

Struever was using South St. Station for a while and then dropped it in favor of Dynamo House. Maybe they thought South St. Station sounded too generic or too much like South Station in Boston.

South Street Station sounds much, much better. Again, though, it gives the impression of Providence as Boston-lite in the same way the PawSox and P-Bruins do.

I prefer South St Station too, but Dynamo House is just another term for an electrical power plant.

Dynamo means a turbine and House is a term that is used a lot for buildings in the electrical generation industry. Two of the connected structures at this site are the 200 and the 400 lb. House (for the amount of steam pressure/psi generated in each.)

what about using a name that has to do with Narragansett Electric, or adding something like Dynamo House Complex, or Hertiage Harbour Complex... just so it atleast to me sounds less corny.

Please, do anything except attach "complex" to the end of a name! Nothing screams "I am boring and institutional" more than the word "complex"! Plus, Dynamo House is already down the street from the "J. Joseph Garrahy Judicial Complex." To many complexes and I'll start to feel inferior.

South Street Station: Okay, so the alliteration is great, but what else does it say? I agree with the comments about reinforcing a Boston-lite image. Plus, we're sandwiched: New York has South Street Seaport.

Personally, I love Dynamo House. Very offbeat (and very Providence); the stacks and sign will become a Providence landmark. Sign me up for a reservation at Emeril's at the Dynamo now! BAM!

dynamo-rend001.jpg

dynamo-hh-plan001.jpg

My understanding is that the spot that is labeled "Proposed Residential Buildings and Parking Structures" could be as tall as the towers on the Manchester Street Power Station. The park area is the proposed Waterfron Park, the layout for that is not what will be built, it's just a placeholder.

I just figured I'd quote these and let everyone look at them again. This stands to make an area that is somewhat dumpy and turn it into a highly desirable place. I'm pretty excited about the overall plan for that area.

That and he's a JWU grad --- and here often

One of his former sous chefs, Chef Parker, has two really good restuarants, if anyone is every looking to check them out. Sophia's on Warwick Ave. and Fat Belly's off main st. ( the turn into goddard state park) its a little down the road and on the right. Check them out.

I think someone already asked, but does anyone have an idea about the development parcels immediately adjacent to the proposed waterfront park? Based on the site plan that Cotuit posted, it looks like there will be some type of mixed use development between the Dynamo House and the south end of the western park parcel.

Also, I think there is some residential development planned for the east edge of the eastern park parcel. If anyone has more specific information, it would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

While this wouldn't be enough to move this project to In Progress, there is some work going on at the building. I saw a cherry picker there and the doors were open. Looks like they're covering the temporary windows with some sort of black material. Maybe not earth-shattering news, but first work I've seen there since about 2001.

That brings up a question: What is the projected target date on this one?

- Garris

I drove by the other day and it was the first time I noticed the future home of Dynamo House, how long has that been there? or is that a sign that they will be starting teh project soon?

I drove by the other day and it was the first time I noticed the future home of Dynamo House, how long has that been there? or is that a sign that they will be starting teh project soon?

I know that the project is in the design phase - the architects (Newport Collaborative) are hard at work. For a project of that magnitude, I'd be surprised to see any major new construction work before next winter/early spring but I don't have specific knowlege of the schedule. Perhaps they're being very aggressive with the schedule and already starting with selective demo and sitework now.

Archived