Downtown Grand Rapids Development Updates

GRDadof3

I drove by Plaza Towers tonight and there was a coming soon sign on the side by Kinko's that looked like maybe they were opening up some more retail space?

Anyone got the scoop?

Also, They put a piece of ornamental "tin" work up on the new Amway Grand Facade and it looks like it will be quite ornate. Very cool!

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't even know GVSU was expanding anything....does anyone have a rendering/site plan? Will it look nice (like the DeVos Center) or ugly (like the Eberhard Center)? Does anyone have the scoop on that?

It will be a busy fall, indeed. I can't wait :D

I didn't even know GVSU was expanding anything....does anyone have a rendering/site plan?  Will it look nice (like the DeVos Center) or ugly (like the Eberhard Center)?  Does anyone have the scoop on that?

It will be a busy fall, indeed.  I can't wait :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See this thread here andy:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...c=12550&hl=gvsu

Progressive AE is doing the work, and I have not seen anything yet. They say it will make the Eberhard footprint look more like the letter "d", as opposed to the letter "L". 50,000 sq ft is larger than the Keller Engineering lab part.

I'll officially update this thread with the Civic Theatre rendering (I'll switch it if we get a better one  ;) )

765DA23019AF11DABAA5EA05180B1119.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know if the whited building in the picture is owned by the Civic Theatre? I always thought that building could use a good renovation. Since it's so close to Monroe Center, there should be some ground level retail in that building.

Does anyone know if the whited building in the picture is owned by the Civic Theatre? I always thought that building could use a good renovation. Since it's so close to Monroe Center, there should be some ground level retail in that building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that building (The Botsford) will undergo renovation, as well as the building on the corner of Monroe Center and Division. The only ones that will not on that entire block is the Kendall, Reynolds Sporting Goods and the Children's Museum.

Yes, that building (The Botsford) will undergo renovation, as well as the building on the corner of Monroe Center and Division.  The only ones that will not on that entire block is the Kendall, Reynolds Sporting Goods and the Children's Museum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly they all need a good renovation. In due time i know.

Yes, that building (The Botsford) will undergo renovation, as well as the building on the corner of Monroe Center and Division.  The only ones that will not on that entire block is the Kendall, Reynolds Sporting Goods and the Children's Museum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about the small, windowless, green building just East of Civic and North of the Children's Museum? It's a bar, right?

What about the small, windowless, green  building just East of Civic and North of the Children's Museum?  It's a bar, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, as far as I know, 33 Sheldon (windowless green building) is a pub called the Apartment Lounge. I have never been there myself.

Indeed, I think we can say gay bar. The Civic owns this building as well.

Joe

I think it's OK to say gay bar, isn't it?  Anyway, has anyone been by the Lemmen Holton Cancer Center (across from Spectrum - Butterworth) site today?  There was some activity there this morning, but I was on my way somewhere else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, busy selling my house and restoring an old house. :)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's very cool Joe! Care to share any details on this old house? We just bought a 1925 Bungalow from the original family. We have had a lot of fun working on it, its got good bones! Our next big project is the electrical!

It's actually a very interesting place. Built sometime in the 20's-30's as a caretakers house and *Horse Stable* for a large estate :). My wife talked to the people that own the original house yesterday and she "you know you have a horse buried under your foyer". :) Nice. It should be a fun project though.

I'm jealous of your Bungalow. I read American Bungalow magazine and it is definitely my favorite housing style!

Joe

That's very cool Joe!  Care to share any details on this old house?  We just bought a 1925 Bungalow from the original family.  We have had a lot of fun working on it, its got good bones!  Our next big project is the electrical!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's actually a very interesting place. Built sometime in the 20's-30's as a caretakers house and *Horse Stable* for a large estate :). My wife talked to the people that own the original house yesterday and she "you know you have a horse buried under your foyer". :) Nice. It should be a fun project though.

I'm jealous of your Bungalow. I read American Bungalow magazine and it is definitely my favorite housing style!

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

****I will make this my last e-mail with regards to this topic as I understand it has nothing to do with downtown development.****

What a story Joe! I

Archived