Downtown Grand Rapids Development Updates

GRDadof3

That does sound cool. Post some pics, would ya :D

If you guys don't mind, I took a s**tload of pics today and I need to release them or my camera card will explode! :D I took shots of almost all of the current construction sites, and some other surprises.

Edit: Caution, scenes of the Grand Plaza and Bridgewater parking ramps are graphic and may be unsuitable for young children (or for concrete fearing adults either). Viewer discretion is advised.

Balconies going up on Union Square:

A92D39D020AF11DAAC3B7E5118F73B1D.jpg

And Gaslight Village makes it out of the gates first with steel in the air!

AB0A373020AF11DAA57477EA18F73B1D.jpg

ACEC64B020AF11DAB8AB539818F73B1D.jpg

Nuthin!

AF09032020AF11DAAA28AFA018F73B1D.jpg

Nuthin!

B0F9D6A020AF11DA86E0574A18F73B1D.jpg

Nuthin!

B2D7493020AF11DABCEEEA9E18F73B1D.jpg

Nuthin!

B4C29E7020AF11DA83302C0D18F73B1D.jpg

Bingo! (I already knew this was going on, but now they are doing some major excavating). New Marriott (for you not in the loop):

B6A233E020AF11DA8C5F41F218F73B1D.jpg

B8AB987020AF11DAB3E6CC5F18F73B1D.jpg

BA822D3020AF11DA8E1A3CD118F73B1D.jpg

9D8A242020B011DAB859A67A18F73B1D.jpg

Riverfront Building (I was so aroused watching these two sites together :blush: )

9B9B738020B011DA8BE117D618F73B1D.jpg

9987FCD020B011DA855D108A18F73B1D.jpg

A lot of rebar at the Art Museum with no end in sight :( LOL! I just noticed the "Complete by Fall 2005" on the sign. Probably not going to make it :P Edit: maybe it says 2006.

A1784E4020B011DAB5FF027018F73B1D.jpg

A366FEE020B011DA8A68638518F73B1D.jpg

9F9424F020B011DA9A02AB1118F73B1D.jpg

And some smaller work on Wealthy at Eastern:

AAFD226020B011DAB197C59218F73B1D.jpg

Looking purdy, Bazzani:

A7574BE020B011DA8C70E49818F73B1D.jpg

Don't know on this one. Winkelmann Architects and Orion Construction:

A930038020B011DA987B03A918F73B1D.jpg

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just wondering if you Grand Rapidians know how incredibly uncanny the resemblence of the GR Art Museum is to the one going up in Flint?  It must be the same architects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh nooo, poor Flint! They barely survived Autoworld and Michael Moore

Autoworld2.jpg

I don't know if they can take another hit like this. Is it Workshop Hakomori Yantrasast?

I know this project isnt exactly downtown but has anyone seen the work that has been going on at Breton Village Mall. I think that the Leigh's store will be opening soon and from what i could see the rest of the mall renovation including the site is still moving along... anyone have any pictures?

I know this project isnt exactly downtown but has anyone seen the work that has been going on at Breton Village Mall.  I think that the Leigh's store will be opening soon and from what i could see the rest of the mall renovation including the site is still moving along... anyone have any pictures?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have any photos, but I've seen renderings on-line for the whole mall re-do. I'll try and find them.

Does anyone know what in the world they are doing to the Eberhard Center? I know they are adding on the back portion, but what are they doing on the riverfront?

A570D8A020B011DAA55133F918F73B1D.jpg

I don't have any photos, but I've seen renderings on-line for the whole mall re-do.  I'll try and find them. 

Does anyone know what in the world they are doing to the Eberhard Center?  I know they are adding on the back portion, but what are they doing on the riverfront?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As reported by the GVSU student newspaper:

Renovations are currently underway on flood walls located just below the LV Eberhard Center on Grand Valley State University

Wealthy Street is pretty amazing these days. 2 new infill houses, Bazzani is as busy as a bee (anyone know what the plans are for the bank building at Eastern or the little building on the NE side of Diamond) and I am interested in the Winkleman project. Looks like to retail spaces going into that building.

Now Kregel's has to get off their butt and add some class to their warehouse. It looks like Fort Knox (although it was probably a necessity 10 years ago) ;)

Joe

Now Kregel's has to get off their butt and add some class to their warehouse. It looks like Fort Knox (although it was probably a necessity 10 years ago) ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree about Kregel's, that needs a major facelift. Funny that you refered to it as a warehouse, because (it may have a warehouse, too - I don't know) it is their corporate offices.

Is there anyone who lives on the SW side who can get photos of construction of the new Metropolitan Hospital. With gas prices so high, I don't want to make the drive.

There's this from the Wyman website:

vfiles3830.jpg

but I'm pretty sure they have re-started construction since putting the thing on hold for that bond sale.

Here's another rendering of the campus:

hospital.jpg

Which, if I'm not mistaken, will be one of the first and only Green Built (LEED Certified) hospitals iin the country.

So is this an entirely new hospital? Is it a full service hospital with an emergency room and everything? If it is that's a releif there are many cities, including Lansing, that could use an entirely new hospital, it sort of gives some hope. Nice looking building, GR is getting tons of medical stuff, even stealing part of our MSU med school :D .

Wealthy Street is pretty amazing these days. 2 new infill houses, Bazzani is as busy as a bee (anyone know what the plans are for the bank building at Eastern or the little building on the NE side of Diamond) and I am interested in the Winkleman project. Looks like to retail spaces going into that building.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The word on Wealthy Street!

There is an open house at the Helmus Building, 959 Wealthy, this Thursday. The open house is given by Bazzani, All the King's Books, Armenta Studio, Rock Solid Granite, etc...

The flyer says from 6-8 pm. I bet you could find out whats-a-happening on Wealthy Street and the surrounding neighborhood. Let me know if you go, I might be around with my camera.

Pop Quiz?

What is Wealthy Street named after???

Grid Girl forever

The word on Wealthy Street!

There is an open house at the Helmus Building, 959 Wealthy, this Thursday.  The open house is given by Bazzani, All the King's Books, Armenta Studio, Rock Solid Granite, etc...

The flyer says from 6-8 pm.  I bet you could find out whats-a-happening on Wealthy Street and the surrounding neighborhood.  Let me know if you go, I might be around with my camera.

Pop Quiz? 

What is Wealthy Street named after???

Grid Girl forever

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, please post photos if you go.

And, the history of Wealthy Street:

** Wealthy Street

I don't know about those, but did you know Grand Rapids was the FIRST IN THE US to have/do the following:

Hydro-electric power plant in the country, 1881

Regularly scheduled passenger airline in the country, from GR to Detroit, in 1926

Fluoridate our water in 1945

First LEED Certified Health-Care Campus and Hospital in the country (Metropolitan Hospital) when it opens in 2007

First publicly funded art installation (Calder)

First city in the country to abolish the aldermanic system of government and

replace with a commission-manager form in 1916

World's first professional baseball game played under electric lights at Ramona

Park in 1909

Grand Rapids Area Furniture Mfrs Association was the first furniture industry

advocacy group in the country, 1881, and grew to over 800 companies in GR

alone

I'm sure there are other "firsts" or "only's". :)

Archived