Downtown Grand Rapids Development Updates

GRDadof3

they have been taking neonatal kids to Spectrum (Butterworth) for a long time. My sister was sent there in the early 80s when she was born. So the top notch neonatal care isnt new to this decade, Butterworth has had good neonatal care for decades.

A guy at my work and his wife just had quads that were born about 4 months pre-mature there a year ago, i visited and it's a pretty amazing facility (and >2lb kids are small btw). All 4 are doing fairly well.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A guy at my work and his wife just had quads that were born about 4 months pre-mature there a year ago, i visited and it's a pretty amazing facility (and >2lb kids are small btw). All 4 are doing fairly well.

my daughter spent a month or so in neonatal at spectrum, she was born premature as well. In addition to being premature she was born with a strange rash all over her body that they couldn't identify, so she was quarantined for a few weeks. its a nice facility, i spent a lot of time there too...

may be a dumb question but... would they be moving neonatal over then you think? and if so, what would become of the old neonatal, be rather sad to see it changed. its a rather important place to a lot of people.

According to the Muskegon Chronicle article, it'll be a brand new neonatal intensive care unit. I wonder what will happen to the old one.

They should host an open house for families that have used the neonatal facility. That would be a thoughtful thing to do.

It supposedly was going to be renovated, but I think it fell through. Are you referring to the "eagles" perched on either side of the door and the art deco flavor?

I took a photo of the retail/office conversion at Plaza Towers. At least this will make that loading dock area look better:

B2CE23F0418911DA991752CE18F73B1D.jpg

I don't know if they have any tenants yet.

It would be neat for someone with enough savy(and time) to try and put together some sort of rendering of the new GR skyline or map of the city once these projects are complete.

I believe Rizzo has done something similar over on Skyscraperpage. How about it Rizzo, can you share with us over here on UP? :D

The Grand Rapids Press today has a picture on the second page of the Business section showing downtown Denver. The caption says "Denver Metamorphisis". Below the picture, it goes on to explain that downtown Denver is getting $1.2 billion in new developments, the most they have seen in 20 years. This is news? :huh: Especially when it's own hometown is getting about the same amount in the coming years. Denver is how many times larger than Grand Rapids? It should be getting 2 -3 times the amount of downtown development we are. I just found that to be quite strange of the Press.

End rant.

The Grand Rapids Press today has a picture on the second page of the Business section showing downtown Denver. The caption says "Denver Metamorphisis". Below the picture, it goes on to explain that downtown Denver is getting $1.2 billion in new developments, the most they have seen in 20 years. This is news? :huh: Especially when it's own hometown is getting about the same amount in the coming years. Denver is how many times larger than Grand Rapids? It should be getting 2 -3 times the amount of downtown development we are. I just found that to be quite strange of the Press.

End rant.

I think GR could take a lesson from Denvers 16th street mall. Mixed uses, lots of retail, free "energy-efficient" buses, very active. Granted, the rest of the downtown area is office buildings.

Oh, I'm not disputing that andy. But you would think with how fast the Denver Metro is growing, and how nice the downtown is, that they would be getting $2 - 3 billion or more. The caption should read "Downtown Denver Development Not Up To Par", that's all. Maybe it's the competitive side of me chuckling at them :P

I thought the same thing when I read it. Not that I am comparing Denver to GR, but as far as the investment, it is not a big deal when the papers city is going through its own metamorphasis. Probably an AP picture.

Joe

Oh, I'm not disputing that andy. But you would think with how fast the Denver Metro is growing, and how nice the downtown is, that they would be getting $2 - 3 billion or more. The caption should read "Downtown Denver Development Not Up To Par", that's all. Maybe it's the competitive side of me chuckling at them :P

With the current design for Riverhouse some of the units (i.e. The Pine, The Rapids) seem to have concrete columns that fall in very inconventient locatins - especially in the bedrooms.

It seems like there could be a better solution either to the design of the individual units or the structural system of the building. It's almost as if the colums weren't even considered when creating the floor plans.

Otherwise, I like that the "big concrete hole" at Bridgewater is finally being filled. My father had an office there for Michcon for sever years and I got a nice view of the hole from from the parking deck each time I was there!

Archived