Newport News Development

urbanfan

Hey fella's, first time post. Just thought I would submit a picture of the new 11 story hotel going up in the Newport News City Center Project. They are also building a garage that is under construction currently which will be wrapped with retail. I believe there will also be another office building 4 - 5 stories going up along with the parking garage. Does any one know how to post photos in a reply?

:huh:

Hey fella's, first time post.  Just thought I would submit a picture of the new 11 story hotel going up in the Newport News City Center Project.  They are also building a garage that is under construction currently which will be wrapped with retail.  I believe there will also be another office building 4 - 5 stories going up along with the parking garage.  Does any one know how to post photos in a reply?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get your photo url and enclose it in the tags %7Boption%7D. It also helps if you host them on an image hosting site such as www.photobucket.com

Hey fella's, first time post.  Just thought I would submit a picture of the new 11 story hotel going up in the Newport News City Center Project.  They are also building a garage that is under construction currently which will be wrapped with retail.  I believe there will also be another office building 4 - 5 stories going up along with the parking garage.  Does any one know how to post photos in a reply?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Here is the rendering I promised.RenderingNewportNewsMarriottatCityCenter.jpg

I don't know if they will cut the trees down. I think VDOT would have to cut the trees down

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The trees are on private land in Oyster Point Business Park. We have alot of construction going on here and pretty soon most of the trees along the highway will be thinned out. You will only be able to see City Center if City Center gets taller. However if you look hard enough you can see it.

The trees are on private land in Oyster Point Business Park.  We have alot of construction going on here and pretty soon most of the trees along the highway will be thinned out.  You will only be able to see City Center if City Center gets taller.  However if you look hard enough you can see it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets hope the area becomes urban. It would be a great drive coming from Willamsburg to all the way through the beach for people to see. Lets go 757

Lets hope the area becomes urban. It would be a great drive coming from Willamsburg to all the way through the beach for people to see. Lets go 757

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kind of like coming into D.C. from 95 south. Once you get past Manassas, the whole area just becomes more urban and dense until you arrive in the city core. Even though the buildings aren't tall, i've always been impressed by the site of downtown D.C. pressed up against the freeway fighting for every inch of space it can. There is no mistaking that you are in a "real" city when you arrive and i want people to start getting that feeling here as well.

• 2 months later...

Haha yeah we do. Try typing in like "newport news" or "hampton" in Google, and you get like 2 skyline pics each!  :lol:  I think we need some real pics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welllll... I live 10 min away from City Center... I have a digital camera... and an entire summer of no plans :rolleyes: bwahaha. I'll try to get some of the Marriott right now, Fountain Plaza One, and the retail district. Drove through there the other day and it's really growing up and becoming a little mini-downtown unto itself.

Throw in the 18 story condo tower in Newport News and it's 22/23 story office counterpart across Town Center Drive, and what's our regional total for highrises?  We're quickly climbing through the double-digits!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's the info on the 22-23 story building?

As far as I know there's next to no info on this building. We found out about it from a rendering of City Center that showed a tallish building. We think it is just a planned office tower for sometime in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey all - this is Mike aka Neourban_Pariah on SkyscraperPage and SkyscraperCity ...

I can personally vouch for the 23 story office tower in a later phase because I emailed Florence Kingston, the Director of Development (or something, I forget the exact title) in the city who basically told me it'll be in a later phase.

To correct some other stuff, the name of the 18 story condo is The Meridian, not to be confused with The Point. Both are condo developments but the latter is low rise.

I encourage everyone to look at the City Center Newsletter website since it seems that it is the only place where you can find reliable updates on the project. Occasionally the the Daily Press and the the Virginian Pilot have articles, but those are relatively infrequent.

If you notice on this month's newsletter, there is a section referring to a "Corporate Campus opportunity". This is what it says:

Imagine a high efficiency work place, adjacent to a state of the art conference center and upscale Marriott Hotel, within walking distance of corporate apartments and residential housing, surrounded by upscale shops, dining, and an 8-acre fountain park. City Center's master plan calls for a 200,000-300,000 sq. ft. corporate campus/headquarters building on the corner of Canon Boulevard and Town Center Drive. For information on this opportunity please contact, William A. Hudgins at 757-873-2020.

It has a picture of the Langley Federal Credit Union HQ building, Fountain Plaza III, next to it, but its caption tells a story quite different. The current pride of the development, Fountain Plaza I, has only about 100,000 sqft of space in it, which is about 10 stories. By our calculation, a building 200-300 thousand square feet would be in the 20-30 story range! Now this, of course, much depends on its dimensions, but it is eerily in range of that fabled 23 story office building we've been discussing.

Oh it makes me excited...

I should go and take pictures sometime soon of the developments. The construction there is pretty intense and is in fairly advanced stages, at least regarding the hotel. It's definitely impressive.

I'm going to Port Warwick this evening to go to their weekly free outdoor jazz concerts (they're amazing), so maybe if I can find my camera I'll take some shots of picturesque Port Warwick and maybe City Center.

Nice to be back.

Hey all - this is Mike aka Neourban_Pariah on SkyscraperPage and SkyscraperCity ...

I can personally vouch for the 23 story office tower in a later phase because I emailed Florence Kingston, the Director of Development (or something, I forget the exact title) in the city who basically told me it'll be in a later phase.

To correct some other stuff, the name of the 18 story condo is The Meridian, not to be confused with The Point. Both are condo developments but the latter is low rise.

I encourage everyone to look at the City Center Newsletter website since it seems that it is the only place where you can find reliable updates on the project. Occasionally the the Daily Press and the the Virginian Pilot have articles, but those are relatively infrequent.

If you notice on this month's newsletter, there is a section referring to a "Corporate Campus opportunity". This is what it says:

It has a picture of the Langley Federal Credit Union HQ building, Fountain Plaza III, next to it, but its caption tells a story quite different. The current pride of the development, Fountain Plaza I, has only about 100,000 sqft of space in it, which is about 10 stories. By our calculation, a building 200-300 thousand square feet would be in the 20-30 story range! Now this, of course, much depends on its dimensions, but it is eerily in range of that fabled 23 story office building we've been discussing.

Oh it makes me excited...

I should go and take pictures sometime soon of the developments. The construction there is pretty intense and is in fairly advanced stages, at least regarding the hotel. It's definitely impressive.

I'm going to Port Warwick this evening to go to their weekly free outdoor jazz concerts (they're amazing), so maybe if I can find my camera I'll take some shots of picturesque Port Warwick and maybe City Center.

Nice to be back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea when construction of the 20+ story office building will begin?

Edited by johnhowell

Any idea when construction of the 20+ stories office building will begin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Phase II, as in the hotel and all the new retailers, are set to open next spring. I would imagine that construction on the the other tower as well as the other buildings would likely be later in 2006... maybe in the summer. End of spring seems to be when they like to start new phases.

-m

Phase II, as in the hotel and all the new retailers, are set to open next spring. I would imagine that construction on the the other tower as well as the other buildings would likely be later in 2006... maybe in the summer. End of spring seems to be when they like to start new phases.

-m

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice to see you finally made it over here. I knew we had a few stragglers left on the other sites and was really starting to wonder why you guys never came to visit us. :)

Nice to have your over here Mike. Next year is gonna be a banner year for retail in the area with City Center and Town Center coming online as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't agree more. It looks like City Center has some really good, upscale shops coming in and though I doubt I'll be shopping in any of them (except maybe Jos A Bank just to do it), it's exciting.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it'll give impetus for more high-rise development. The peninsula and Oyster Point business park is so overbuilt now I think that may just be a necessity.

Lets hope!

Newport News needed to change how people saw the city, the Oyster Point area really helps it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does help a lot, but in order for the Oyster Point area to really grow up and mature into a true City Center, it needs to at least reach Jefferson Avenue and get visibility from the major roads.