Newport News Development

urbanfan

How about the wonderful developments at Christopher Newport University! :thumbsup: To all involved, great job! Please keep-up the good work. B)

The Ferguson Center

CNU.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing all of you at the Ferguson Center Sep. 25th.  B.B. King will be there..as will I!  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I always drove by there and thought it would never look like a building... but it's pretty unique architecturally and I like it. :) I think it'll make a great addition to the campus and the city of Newport News.

Wow, I always drove by there and thought it would never look like a building... but it's pretty unique architecturally and I like it.  :)  I think it'll make a great addition to the campus and the city of Newport News.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whenever they decide to light up the atrium i'll try and make sure I get some night shots! The parts that are lit up at night look awesome.

I think a recent photo tour of NN development is long overdue ...

Whenever they decide to light up the atrium i'll try and make sure I get some night shots! The parts that are lit up at night look awesome.

I think a recent photo tour of NN development is long overdue ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me, too.! :) I'm particularly pleased to see the Ferguson Center at CN. I hope lots of big name entertainers will stop by.

I'm sure it's named after my old pal Bill Ferguson who was big in the Peninsula financial world and also in the arts.

Edited by burt

Can someone breeze by Port Warwick?  I haven't been able to get over there in almost 6 months *tear :(  *

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What you want? Pictures. I'll see if I can't step outside sometime this week and snap some. Of course I could give you a lovely shot of one of the apartment buildings immediately out of my 2- 9' wide windows.

What you want? Pictures.  I'll see if I can't step outside sometime this week and snap some.  Of course I could give you a lovely shot of one of the apartment buildings immediately out of my 2- 9' wide windows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Turner Building (which our office designed) is now under construction. It is four story condominium building. We just had our preconstruction meeting and thursday morning we start our site inspections. Sentara has a new building going up also, and several other lots have development signs (without renderings :angry: ) on them. Looks like another round of construction here in port warwick.

The Turner Building (which our office designed) is now under construction.  It is four story condominium building.  We just had our preconstruction meeting and thursday morning we start our site inspections.  Sentara has a new building going up also, and several other lots have development signs (without renderings :angry: ) on them.  Looks like another round of construction here in port warwick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since you seem to have intimate knowledge of the Port Warwick happenings ... what's going on with the stuff on the other side? I know apartments especially meant to cater to college students are going up and plans call for a light rail station ... but wouldn't that mean we'd need light rail?

If anyone has a chance to check out City Center, do it. It's really amazing what a difference the construction between Phase II and III has meant. Before it still resembled a suburban office park with cutesy parking arrangements. Now it looks like a small nucleus of a downtown. It really is fantastic. I encourage everyone to look.

Since you seem to have intimate knowledge of the Port Warwick happenings ... what's going on with the stuff on the other side? I know apartments especially meant to cater to college students are going up and plans call for a light rail station ... but wouldn't that mean we'd need light rail?

If anyone has a chance to check out City Center, do it. It's really amazing what a difference the construction between Phase II and III has meant. Before it still resembled a suburban office park with cutesy parking arrangements. Now it looks like a small nucleus of a downtown. It really is fantastic. I encourage everyone to look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is actually a planned extension of Middle Ground Blvd. that will happen in the near future. It will extend over to Warwick. Later when light rail comes along it will follow middle ground through city center and down HRCP to Colliseum Central.

There is actually a planned extension of Middle Ground Blvd. that will happen in the near future.  It will extend over to Warwick.  Later when light rail comes along it will follow middle ground through city center and down HRCP to Colliseum Central.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<_<

Unfortunately its nothing I don't already know ... I've scoured the HRT site for new info but of course there is none. Oh well.

<_<

Unfortunately its nothing I don't already know ... I've scoured the HRT site for new info but of course there is none. Oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've emailed HRT about Norfolk and they say every time the feds send a request for info they send it in and then another request comes back months later with more requests. They have no idea if they will ever get the funds. If this area could present the light rail all together we might get the federal funding for it. If Norfolk and NNews joined in and got the expense as one bill and presented it to the feds I bet we would get the funding. When we submit it seperate we just cmpete with each other for the funding. :wacko:

I've emailed HRT about Norfolk and they say every time the feds send a request for info they send it in and then another request comes back months later with more requests. They have no idea if they will ever get the funds. If this area could present the light rail all together we might get the federal funding for it. If Norfolk and NNews joined in and got the expense as one bill and presented it to the feds I bet we would get the funding. When we submit it seperate we just cmpete with each other for the funding. :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's probably true though I wouldn't be surprised if Fraim didn't want to add the Peninsula bid to his because he feels it would lessen their chances because maybe he feels Norfolk's proposal is more reasonable without the Peninsula bid fattening it up.

I think I'll email someone in NN and see what they say.

That's probably true though I wouldn't be surprised if Fraim didn't want to add the Peninsula bid to his because he feels it would lessen their chances because maybe he feels Norfolk's proposal is more reasonable without the Peninsula bid fattening it up.

I think I'll email someone in NN and see what they say.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Each project has to be submitted as different bids. Each is a different project that is not connected. Both would be starter lines. Newport news is way behing as far as where they are in the planning to even think about submitting with norfolk, even if they could. norfolk is waiting on money and final engineering and construction starts. newport news is still in the DEIS stage which is very early in the planning stages.

The immensely popular BOTTOMS UP Pizza restaurant on Dock Street in Richmond's Shockoe Bottom reopened today. It was nearly swept away in Gaston's floods last fall.

I'm sure this announcement is of little interest to you Peninsula guys and gals, EXCEPT I have just learned that the restaurant plans to expand to Newport News in the near future. If you like great pizza served in really cool surroundings, you"ll love this place.

The immensely popular BOTTOMS UP Pizza restaurant on Dock Street in Richmond's Shockoe Bottom reopened today.  It was nearly swept away in Gaston's floods last fall.

I'm sure this announcement is of little interest to you Peninsula guys and gals, EXCEPT I have just learned that the restaurant plans to expand to Newport News in the near future.  If you like great pizza served in really cool surroundings, you"ll love this place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to say I have eaten there and its pretty good pizza. Hold on did I just give Richmond a complement. :rofl::silly:

The immensely popular BOTTOMS UP Pizza restaurant on Dock Street in Richmond's Shockoe Bottom reopened today.  It was nearly swept away in Gaston's floods last fall.

I'm sure this announcement is of little interest to you Peninsula guys and gals, EXCEPT I have just learned that the restaurant plans to expand to Newport News in the near future.  If you like great pizza served in really cool surroundings, you"ll love this place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! A double Whammy of good news! I'll be moving back to Richmond this weekend (thank god ... all my old friends here have turned into potheads and adolescent pseudo-intellectuals - the two usually come as a package) and it'll be great to go back to that place. Bottoms Up, even though its pizza isn't the best in Richmond (Mio's is by far the best), has the coolest surroundings and hippest atmosphere.

I wonder where they will be opening in NN? It would be AWESOME if they put it in City Center!!

OR ...

Patrick Henry Marketplace

Okay People, here's a fun story by the Daily Press about Suffolk and NN and their respective New Urbanism developments. Apparently the Patrick Henry Marketplace, originially touted as a retail development like Yoder Plaza or the new Jefferson Commons (with the Kohls, Silver Diner, Panera, Starbucks ...) has restyled itself around a more pedestrian-friendly new urbanism development. Which is GREAT NEWS.

Also not a bad place for Bottoms Up to relocate!!

Here's the story:

August 11, 2005

NEWPORT NEWS -- Two new "mixed-use" developments like Port Warwick and City Center at Oyster Point are expected to come before city planners in Newport News and Suffolk soon, continuing a growing interest in that type of development.

Kahn Development Company of South Carolina is preparing changes to its plans for Patrick Henry Marketplace, off of Jefferson Avenue near its intersection with Interstate 64. Kahn planned a retail center but switched its focus after failing to land key tenants such as Kohl's and Borders.

Suffolk officials are looking at a change to the city's land ordinances that would allow a 100-acre mixed-use neighborhood on land in Harbour View, the massive, still-evolving project in northern Suffolk near Interstate 664. The city wants the zoning changes to promote more of that type of growth.

The concept at both developments will include a mixture of sidewalk-level retail stores and restaurants with apartments and condominiums nearby. The model follows the popularity of Port Warwick and City Center here, and a national trend of non-sprawling development.

"New urbanism" has risen in popularity in the past five years, to the point where it is no longer a quirky corner of the market. The Urban Land Institute, one of the most respected development think tanks, has chosen the topic for its annual conference in September, titled "Place Making: Developing Town Centers, Transit Villages and Main Streets."

The development community of architects, builders and, importantly, lenders also has warmed up to working on mixed-use projects, said Neil Morgan, Newport News assistant city manager.

"So, now the challenge is to make sure the particular proposals are done well," Morgan said. "But, generally speaking, our planning and development officials are encouraging this kind of approach."

The only pieces of the Patrick Henry Marketplace project under construction right now are two restaurants, Carraba's Italian Grill and Cheeseburger in Paradise. Those were designed as part of the retail concept for the area, but with Kohl's going to Jefferson Commons and Borders to Patrick Henry Mall, the new mixed-use project now will wrap in the restaurants.

The mixed-use project could bring in twice as much tax revenue to the city as the retail project would have, wrote Alan Kahn, president of Kahn Development, in a letter to Newport News city manager Ed Maroney.

For that reason, city officials favor new urbanism developments. They have shown strong appreciation in value and an ability to attract businesses, all of which boosts the tax base. The developments come with lower infrastructure costs because they require fewer roads and take up less space.

In Suffolk, planners are considering tweaking the city's zoning ordinance to better accommodate mixed-use projects.

The city is asking developers to look at the former Obici Hospital site on Godwin Boulevard, just north of the city's old downtown, as a potential site for a mixed-use project. The city bought the 25-acre site for $4.5 million to ensure it was developed the way city officials wanted.

Developers with a firm called Landonomics already have started work on a roughly 100-acre site in Harbour View. The firm is looking at building condominiums, hotels, medical offices and retail stores.

"There is a need for smart growth," said Steve Lucas, Landonomics' senior vice president. "That's something that Suffolk has expressed a desire in."

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE Triple Whammy.

Wow! A double Whammy of good news! I'll be moving back to Richmond this weekend (thank god ... all my old friends here have turned into potheads and adolescent pseudo-intellectuals - the two usually come as a package) and it'll be great to go back to that place. Bottoms Up, even though its pizza isn't the best in Richmond (Mio's is by far the best), has the coolest surroundings and hippest atmosphere.

I wonder where they will be opening in NN? It would be AWESOME if they put it in City Center!!

OR ...

Patrick Henry Marketplace

Okay People, here's a fun story by the Daily Press about Suffolk and NN and their respective New Urbanism developments. Apparently the Patrick Henry Marketplace, originially touted as a retail development like Yoder Plaza or the new Jefferson Commons (with the Kohls, Silver Diner, Panera, Starbucks ...) has restyled itself around a more pedestrian-friendly new urbanism development. Which is GREAT NEWS.

Also not a bad place for Bottoms Up to relocate!!

Here's the story:

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE Triple Whammy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The article states that they only did this because they couldn't find tenants for the original strip mall. Sounds like they couldn't get the big names in their mainly because there is no street presence. I don't know that much will change with a mixed use development, but kudos for someone breaking the strip mall mold.

The article states that they only did this because they couldn't find tenants for the original strip mall.  Sounds like they couldn't get the big names in their mainly because there is no street presence.  I don't know that much will change with a mixed use development, but kudos for someone breaking the strip mall mold.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True enough, but it's a movement with growing momentum in Newport News. In my city alone, we have seven differerent New Urbanism styled developments. In the city's 2001 Framework for the Future, it stresses the importance of these kind of developments in creating the foundation for citywide urbanization.

-Port Warwick

-City Center

-Mariner's Watch

-Lee Hall/Endview

-Village at Stoney Run

-CNU Village

-Patrick Henry Marketplace**

-Other smaller various instances of ground-level retail and upper floor housing.

**New Addition.

I think that we should also give props to the people at Kahn for recognizing the profit-margin potential that mixed use, New Urbanism developments have. I think it was a revelation that came about after realizing they couldn't get these big box tenants ... and now they believe they can do just as well if not better with a mixed use pattern. Give credit where credit is due. Besides, it's not like it won't be a great development - after all, Carabba's and Cheeseburger in Paradise are hardly low-end spit joints.

I'm speechless, Russ!!! :rofl:

Quick! I'm going to dig up some more good news about Richmond before you revert to your old ways!

How about the new Manchester project to start in a few weeks? Four 12-story apartment houses and other major developments across the James from downtown? Just announced last night. :)

Edited by burt