Newport News Development

urbanfan

Well that is good. I've actually been out on the runway running fiber optic cables out there. I knew they had land but isn't the development around it going to cause problems?

Hopefully, they will get smart and buy the farm across Oriana for possible expansion. If they do this they will have all the land to plop down two-two mile runways which is more than enough to carry them into many decades, and handle almost any aircraft with a possible exception of the new double decker by airbus.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, they will get smart and buy the farm across Oriana for possible expansion. If they do this they will have all the land to plop down two-two mile runways which is more than enough to carry them into many decades, and handle almost any aircraft with a possible exception of the new double decker by airbus.

I think airport expansion is reason for government to acquire private land. Do yall have an info on that?

Anyone know anything about this?

"CZ-05-204, Kahn Properties South LLC, BJW Greenville LLC, PHMA Management LLC, and Kahn Family LLC. Request a change of zoning from C1 Retail Commercial to R9 Mixed Use District (density – 80 dwelling units per acre) with proffers to permit the development of a mix of residential, office, hotel and commercial uses for the properties located at 12361 and 12373 Hornsby Lane on lots with a cumulative total of 53.82 acres. The Framework for the Future comprehensive plan recommends regional commercial uses for the site. (Report by Ms. Susan Kassel) (Heard by City Council on January 10, 2006)"

To give you a feel for it's location, Patrick Henry mall is in the bottom right hand corner of the satellite image. Due to its strategic location and the size of the property, I feel that this could be quite a major development.

Hornsbydevelopment.jpg

This is the same company that is developing the Chesapeake Towne Center.

Anyone know anything about this?

Type: Retail

Architect: Crawford McWilliams Hatcher Architects, Inc.

Opening Date: 2007

Size: 183700

Featured Merchants: Specialty Shops, Restaurants and Hotels 1. Highly visible site at the Northwest quadrant of the I-64 and Jefferson Avenue interchange.

2. The interchange is one of the highest volume retail sales area in the entire state of Virginia.

3. Individually styled storefronts reflecting unique retailer characteristics.

4. The streetscape design, enhanced with brick pavers, will encompass extensive landscaping, sidewalk sculpture, and art for greater visual impact.

Site Plan

Are those lots a trailer park?

Yes, these lots are trailer parks, however, the new development will not touch the trailer park, it will raze the woods and vacant lots around it leaving the trailer park unscathed. The two will have to coincide with eachother. Wonder how well that will go.

Yes, these lots are trailer parks, however, the new development will not touch the trailer park, it will raze the woods and vacant lots around it leaving the trailer park unscathed. The two will have to coincide with eachother. Wonder how well that will go.

Too bad they can't tear them down. Trailers are tacky and they are structurally unsound. They also drop the real estate prices down around the neigboring neighborhoods. I vote to moving them to the country!

Too bad they can't tear them down. Trailers are tacky and they are structurally unsound. They also drop the real estate prices down around the neigboring neighborhoods. I vote to moving them to the country!

They are also peoples homes and i'd really hate to have a repeat of that crap in Va. Beach with the cornerstone development. I'm all for replacing the trailers, but only if an affordable housing alternative is provided for the probably hundreds of families that would be evicted in the process.

Type: Retail

Architect: Crawford McWilliams Hatcher Architects, Inc.

Opening Date: 2007

Size: 183700

Featured Merchants: Specialty Shops, Restaurants and Hotels 1. Highly visible site at the Northwest quadrant of the I-64 and Jefferson Avenue interchange.

2. The interchange is one of the highest volume retail sales area in the entire state of Virginia.

3. Individually styled storefronts reflecting unique retailer characteristics.

4. The streetscape design, enhanced with brick pavers, will encompass extensive landscaping, sidewalk sculpture, and art for greater visual impact.

Site Plan

Great find Willy! Looks like it's time to update the projects listing. Thank for the info. :)

Yes, but looking at the plan and from the description (mixed use development, hotels, offices etc.) This will be quite a bit different than the Chesapeake one and sounds like it will be more of an actual town center type development in a high visibility area. I can't wait for some renderings. :)

Anyone see the future rail station on near the bottom of the page? Is the Peninsula LR really moving forward?

It's still in the planning stages. The Preliminary EIS has already been done on they are working on the final EIS. However, I do not expect funding to come through with this project, when so many other localities are looking for funding for there system. If we want this rail, it might have to be paid for locally.

Also on the map, if you zoom in you will notice that 2 of the buildings are labelled "multistory mixed use". :yahoo: Can you imagine the impact these buildings will have on that section of freeway. I believe that kahn developers are only handling the retail portion of the project. I'm gonna check for websites for some of the other companies listed to see what the dimensions of the office and hotel components may be. The more I dig into this project the more it seems like there is something really big coming to that section. :)

It's still in the planning stages. The Preliminary EIS has already been done on they are working on the final EIS. However, I do not expect funding to come through with this project, when so many other localities are looking for funding for there system. If we want this rail, it might have to be paid for locally.

I don't know that LRT is the way to go for the Peninsula anyway. Yeah it's cheap, but if Norfolk is to be the nexus of a Hampton Roads rail transit network, heavy rail rapid transit would be ideal. It's the only thing that could compete with driving, but it comes at a cost.

I believe this is just the retooled development of Patrick Henry Marketplace (of which only 2 restaurants are yet to be completed). They said they would convert it into a 52-acre mixed-use development on that property... so I guess this is the resulting project? If it's completely different, let me know lol. It sounds pretty good to me, but I doubt we'll see much in the way of height given its proximity to Patrick Henry Field.... but it's a good infill development and we could see midrise buildings easily. Just adding to the growing urban flair of midtown Newport News :)

I believe this is just the retooled development of Patrick Henry Marketplace (of which only 2 restaurants are yet to be completed). They said they would convert it into a 52-acre mixed-use development on that property... so I guess this is the resulting project? If it's completely different, let me know lol. It sounds pretty good to me, but I doubt we'll see much in the way of height given its proximity to Patrick Henry Field.... but it's a good infill development and we could see midrise buildings easily. Just adding to the growing urban flair of midtown Newport News :)

I can deal with midrise, it'll still look great from the freeway. I can see that whole corridor turning into something similar to that approach to D.C. (a bunch of dense midrise development with corporate, retail, and residential components).

I believe this is just the retooled development of Patrick Henry Marketplace (of which only 2 restaurants are yet to be completed).

I'm confused because I'm pretty sure this project hasn't started yet. I don't think it's even been approved yet. I'm gonna have to investigate a little further. All these projects in NN and Hampton sound so similar I'm starting to get them mixed up.

I'm confused because I'm pretty sure this project hasn't started yet. I don't think it's even been approved yet. I'm gonna have to investigate a little further. All these projects in NN and Hampton sound so similar I'm starting to get them mixed up.

This is the description of Patrick Henry marketplace.

"Patrick Henry Marketplace

Summer 2005

375,000 square foot shopping center under development off Jefferson Avenue near Interstate I-64. The Marketplace will feature themed eateries, Carrabba's Italian Grill and Cheeseburger in Paradise, and a Borders Bookstore"

It says nothing about mixed use so if they have retooled the project they gave it quite a makeover. Also, Peninsulakiddo, do you know of any articles where they discussed plans of this area? Finally, i'm guessing that the interchange in the pic below is the Jefferson ave interchange, can anyone confirm this?

Hornsbydevelopment.jpg

I also found this.

Jefferson Commons

Spring 2005

400,000 square foot retail center in the Patrick Henry corridor near Jefferson Avenue & Bland Boulevard. Kohl's, well known for selling brand-name products at discount prices will be the lead anchor tenant. Also anchoring the shopping center will be Sport's Authority, T.J. Maxx, Ross Dress for Less, and AC Moore Crafts. Additional tenants will include: Shoe Carnival, Panera Bread, Starbucks, Game Stop/Movie Works, Haagen-Dazs, SW Grill, Texas Steakhouse, Chili's, Smokey Bones BBQ and Silver Diner.

Now i'm really confused :huh:

Jefferson Commons is the development with the Kohls, Panera Bread, and Trader Joes just north of the Wal Mart that is on the top of that picture you posted, vdogg.

But I saw something mentioned that they were trying to turn Jefferson Commons into more of a mixed-use development.. and it's on that tract of land (the 52-53 acres)... so idk lol.

But yea, the midtown area is turning into a bit of a Tyson's Corner or Glen Burnie. Not as dense or populated, but a similar feel in 10 or so years. AWESOME!

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I live in Newport News, so I am very familiar with all of the projects and developments. First of all, Jefferson Commons is just a mega retail complex, with no plans for any mixed-use or office. Patrick Henry Marketplace was conceived as another retail complex, but because of the expansion of Patrick Henry mall and Jefferson Commons, they became squeezed out of the retail race, thus Kahn Development decided to reconfigure their plans and have turned the project into a true mixed-use with retail, offices, rental units, condos for sale and a couple of hotels with a planned light rail station. You can see their plans on www.kahndevelopment.com. Also, if you search under Newport News' home page and under city council minutes, representatives from the development presented their new plans to the city a few months ago, and the city council members were overwhelming for the project, the only main concerns being traffic of course. And actually there will be new infrastructure connecting the development to both Jefferson Ave, and Oyster Point road.

Finally, I do not think those trailer parks are lasting long. In Newport News' "Framework for the Future" plan, it explicitly states that the trailer park there and another one off of Jefferson and Oyster point are planned for "redevelopment".....

Sorry for the long post...

I was born and raised in Newport News, then left for ten years to complete my education, and have since moved back a year and a half ago, thus my interests have always revolved around the Hampton Roads area. I am amazed at the amount of development that has occurred throughout the whole area from Williamsburg down the VB. I am particularly impressed at the changing face of Newport News in the past five years or so, almost rivaling the amount of development in Norfolk

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I live in Newport News, so I am very familiar with all of the projects and developments. First of all, Jefferson Commons is just a mega retail complex, with no plans for any mixed-use or office. Patrick Henry Marketplace was conceived as another retail complex, but because of the expansion of Patrick Henry mall and Jefferson Commons, they became squeezed out of the retail race, thus Kahn Development decided to reconfigure their plans and have turned the project into a true mixed-use with retail, offices, rental units, condos for sale and a couple of hotels with a planned light rail station. You can see their plans on www.kahndevelopment.com. Also, if you search under Newport News' home page and under city council minutes, representatives from the development presented their new plans to the city a few months ago, and the city council members were overwhelming for the project, the only main concerns being traffic of course. And actually there will be new infrastructure connecting the development to both Jefferson Ave, and Oyster Point road.

Finally, I do not think those trailer parks are lasting long. In Newport News' "Framework for the Future" plan, it explicitly states that the trailer park there and another one off of Jefferson and Oyster point are planned for "redevelopment".....

Sorry for the long post...

Thank you so much for the info. You have just helped finalize my decision to add this project to the projects listing. Welcome to the forum, that was a great first post. :thumbsup:

You can see their plans on www.kahndevelopment.com. Also, if you search under Newport News' home page and under city council minutes, representatives from the development presented their new plans to the city a few months ago, and the city council members were overwhelming for the project,

Do you remember which month this was in?