Newport News Development

urbanfan

I think it was either in Oct or Nov... almost the entire minutes of the meeting were devoted to Patrick Henry Marketplace....actually the development has officially commenced with the openning of both Cheeseburger in Paradise and Carrabas, in addition they have begun cutting down more trees..

I think it was either in Oct or Nov... almost the entire minutes of the meeting were devoted to Patrick Henry Marketplace....actually the development has officially commenced with the openning of both Cheeseburger in Paradise and Carrabas, in addition they have begun cutting down more trees..

Thanks, found it! This is supposed to start contruction really soon and seems to be slightly smaller in size to NN city

center. :shok: Incredible.

nntowncenter.jpg

HR is on fire! I love it! I'm glad to see this going on for NNews. I hope that oyster point has some more developments on the way! I'd also like to see some redevelopment of the east end too!

Exciting time!

Don't you guys forget about the Mariner's Watch infill project that is happening in the Southeastern community (East End)! This, coupled with the 750 new Navy apartments downtown, will probably help revitalize the DT area as well!

the peninsula is on fire, and I hate to say when I use to live in Virginia Beach I use to think they should simply pave the entire peninsula and turn it into a major I-64 because I thought it was a worthless place.

Happy to see the peninsula is proving me wrong. Now if only downtown Hampton can get into the groove of things and start growing.

Hampton is definitely slow off of the starting blocks in terms of redevelopment and urbanization, however I think it will happen for them also. They have a beautiful, picturesque downtown, which is probably their greatest asset. In time, that area will boom also. What we need again is an influx of good paying white collar jobs to the area, and I think that the peninsula is having greater success than the southside in this area. It seems like no one has noticed this company setting up in Oyster Point:

Alion Science and Technology

Joining the list of tenants at City Center

Alion Science and Technology, headquartered in McLean, Virginia and with offices around the world has added City Center at Oyster Point as their latest location. Alion Science and Technology will occupy over 17,000 square feet in the new One City Center building scheduled for completion in February of 2006. Alion is an employee-owned technology solutions company delivering technical expertise and operational support to the Department of Defense, civilian government agencies, and commercial customers.

In 2004, Alion reported 282 million dollars in revenue and has 2,600 employees.

Learn more about Alion at: www.alionscience.com For One City Center leasing information please contact, Alex Stern, NAI Harvey Lindsay Commercial Real Estate at 757-873-2020.

When Worsley, the parent company of Ferguson based in London, announced that Ferguson will be consolitating their headquarters in Newport News, it seemed like not much attention was given to it by the local tv media and the Virginian Pilot, whereas the Daily Press gave it front page headlines. This move in time should give Hampton Roads a third Fortune 500 company, bringing in a highly educated and skilled workforce with high incomes as well. This hopefully will act like a catalyst in that more companies will take note and set up on the Peninsula, or anywhere else in HR

I know that they were mentioned in the treads, but I am talking about on the tv media, and in the pilot...again highlighting the fact that the peninsula tends to get glossed over by people on the southside. When I tell people in Chesapeake,where I work part time, that I live in Newport News, they give me this horrific look that I live in the worst ghetto, and that I should move to C-peake or VB. I mean the perception and reality of the "Bad Newz" is really black and white. Most of the crime in NN is in a small area in the southeast area, known as the "East End". For a city of 185,000, NN had 20 murders, still high, but in terms of per capita, much lower than Norfolks and Portsmouths. 15 of those murders happened in the East End, which hopefully one day will turn around as well. Even Chesapeake, with a population of 215,000 had 15 murders, not that much lower than NN

I saw this in the daily press today...this is the development that is going in the extreme northern end of the city bordering York county and James city county...not entirely urban, however a nice mix of homes, condos and retail...A little background, the developer of Port Warwick, Bobby Freeman, and Sandler both presented their ideas to the city to develop this area. Freeman envisioned an "equestrian themed" development, where as Sandler proposed a more traditional approach. The city sided with Sandler, much to my surprise since Port Warwick has become such a success and almost a catalyst to all the develoment in NN. Here is the link to the article today..

http://www.dailypress.com/business/local/d...ness-localheads

About ten years ago, there were plans to develop this area with another mall, the "Endview Mall" . This was opposed by both preservationists in the area and Patrick Henry Mall, which is eight miles to the southeast...after a fierce debate, the Endview mall idea was scrapped and now, I believe the area is being developed responsibly.

I saw this in the daily press today...this is the development that is going in the extreme northern end of the city bordering York county and James city county...not entirely urban, however a nice mix of homes, condos and retail...A little background, the developer of Port Warwick, Bobby Freeman, and Sandler both presented their ideas to the city to develop this area. Freeman envisioned an "equestrian themed" development, where as Sandler proposed a more traditional approach. The city sided with Sandler, much to my surprise since Port Warwick has become such a success and almost a catalyst to all the develoment in NN.

Well it's not supposed to be "Urban" in the City-Center sense. But it is going to be laid out in a grid-pattern with relatively high density. I've heard it described as being a "fourth leg" in the historic triangle. It's going to end up being half a billion dollars of investment in this small area, so I'm not worried.

The project will be built out over the next 10 years and is designed to fit with the historic nature of the Lee Hall area.

Homes will feature a variety of traditional designs. Retail districts are designed to mimic other established, older shopping areas.

It will certainly have more in common with Port Warwick than City Center, but may be less dense just given the amount of space that they're using. It will be more like small clumps of development here and there with wider spaces in the interim.

I imagine Freeman, who pulled out on his own accord, decided to drop out because he wanted to concentrate more on Port Warwick, which continues to mature immensely. I have my problems with the way it's become sort of a toff's paradise, but its undeniable that it's a beautiful and well crafted community.

Thanks, found it! This is supposed to start contruction really soon and seems to be slightly smaller in size to NN city

center. :shok: Incredible.

nntowncenter.jpg

This project went before council yesterday. Not sure what the outcome was as the minutes are not online yet. Any of our peninsula residents see anything in the newspaper today? Also, do you guys have televised council meetings as well?

• 2 weeks later...

the peninsula is on fire, and I hate to say when I use to live in Virginia Beach I use to think they should simply pave the entire peninsula and turn it into a major I-64 because I thought it was a worthless place.

Lol, I used to think the same thing! It was always a place to just drive past on the way to Williamsburg, D.C., and points beyond. It used to be a running joke between my boss and I about how many times a week we would hear the local news reporter say, "A Newport News man is dead tonight..." Anyway, I'm glad to see they are turning it around over the last few years. Our forum tends to be a bit Southside biased because, well, most of the people live on the Southside and the regional hubs are there. Its great to see NN moving forward with all this, and I hope people post more pictures because I really am lost when it comes to NN other than anything right off the interstate.

Of course my favorite is still, "A beach man is dead tonight...", like this man lived on the beach his whole life calmy combing the beach eeking out his meager living, and then suddenly he was dead.

edit: spelling

Edited by Glassoul

If you look on the wtkr-tv website it talks about a new plan being unveild for the east end of newport news, running from I-664 to the hampton city limits. Sound's like a lot developers are salavating at developing the waterfront. But what do you do for all of the low income people in that community?

It's a good point you're making, but the city is working on a more comprehensive program than simply reimbursing the residents, etc. The name of the game is income-mixing, which reverses ghettoization and helps strengthen communities. It's a far better plan than sticking the poor into a corner and pretending they don't exist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...