Newport News Development

urbanfan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

City approves mixed use development

The Newport News Planning Commission unanimously approved the rezoning for a $525 million public-private development with L.M. Sandler & Sons Inc. on May 24.

Asheton, formerly referred to as the Endview Project, will be built on about 436 acres encompassing the Hoover-Clements property, Carleton Farm, Endview Plantation and Lee Hall. A City Council vote is scheduled for June 27, according to Chris Bridge, a spokesperson for the project.

• 5 weeks later...

This doesn't sound good... :(

No longer the it place

NEWPORT NEWS -- It is more than symbolic that the Web site for the Tapas Lounge restaurant is blank. The Jo Louise! boutique store's site is under development. The Internet page for Beck & Stein Books says it closed June 1.

Most of the locally owned businesses in Port Warwick remain optimistic, but they face an uncertain future because the initial buzz that carried the mixed-used development through the early years now has worn off.

J Clyde Morris poised for upscale redevelopment

He's also part of a group of investors that owns the Newport Square Shopping Center adjacent to I-64. He predicts that the center eventually would be transformed into a development with high-rise buildings where people could live and shop. :shok:

"There're a lot of under-developed properties in that stretch that are ripe for development," he said.

Oyster Point, along with Patrick Henry Mall and the retail area around it, has become so busy that Henderson predicts shoppers will be drawn to J. Clyde Morris.

J clyde is more in a central and heavily trafficked location so I think it's chances may be better at success.

Actually, Port Warwick is in a better location as far as traffic count is concerned. Port Warwick is struggling mainly because there is too much residential and little business. Almost all businesses here are retail, there are no big companies or anything here. Therefore, during the day the place is empty except for the people who drive here to go shopping, which isn't that many, everyone who lives here goes somewhere else to work. The whole model of urban living is that you can walk and live and shop in the same area. Now after work (about 5:00 pm) the place picks up. We need to build more offices and attract business to this immediate area for things to work out.

Actually, Port Warwick is in a better location as far as traffic count is concerned. Port Warwick is struggling mainly because there is too much residential and little business. Almost all businesses here are retail, there are no big companies or anything here. Therefore, during the day the place is empty except for the people who drive here to go shopping, which isn't that many, everyone who lives here goes somewhere else to work. The whole model of urban living is that you can walk and live and shop in the same area. Now after work (about 5:00 pm) the place picks up. We need to build more offices and attract business to this immediate area for things to work out.

I agree with the analysis there; hopefully across Jefferson new office developments will come online, perhaps far more urban or high-rise outside of the City Center location. That way, the hundreds or even thousands of workers will go across Jefferson (with improved crosswalks in lieu of certain pedestrian hazards) to Port Warwick for lunch or some daytime R+R. I have the feeling that businesses that tough out the next couple of years will succeed in the long run because of the surrounding developments that will come online in the area and add more workers and residents to the midtown portion of the city.

• 4 weeks later...

I read the article in the newspaper today about the overhaul of downtown newport news. I really think they should make the waterfront into a strip. Something like Va Beach. There's no destination that has an attraction like that on the peninsula. I would really hate to see the waterfront only served to a few home owners instead of sharing it with the whole city and the rest of the peninsula. If the city does this right, this area will be in for something very nice.

I read the article in the newspaper today about the overhaul of downtown newport news. I really think they should make the waterfront into a strip. Something like Va Beach. There's no destination that has an attraction like that on the peninsula. I would really hate to see the waterfront only served to a few home owners instead of sharing it with the whole city and the rest of the peninsula. If the city does this right, this area will be in for something very nice.

I don't think that would be a good idea. Let VA Beach be VA beach and NN be NN.

I wasn't insinuating that newport news should be a corbin copy of va beach. I just think va beach is a good model if we were to go in that direction. Besides, there will always be a distinction between the two cities whether we do make a strip on the waterfront in newport news or not.

The waterfront in Newport News is not beach, it is only beach up past mercury, and barely an eight of a mile (if that). All of downtown and below is deep water port where the marine terminal is, the coal terminals and Northrop Grumman is. I don't see where on earth you are suggesting putting a strip. Maybe I missed something.

On top of that the east end has less than a mile of beach anyways so there is no real need for a strip. The city just wants to open up what little beach they do have to everyone so that they know that it is there to be used. They only place on the penisula that could get away with a strip style development is Buckroe with over 3 miles of great quality beachfront. However, good luck convincing the locals to allow that. That's like a crime down there.

Edited by urbanfan

I think you misunderstood me a little about where the strip could be at. The strip could be put where the actual planned area is at, which starts at King-Lincoln Park and ends beyond Anderson Park right at the Hampton/Newport News city line. If you look in this area, you will see that there is enough beach (though not as long or wide as Va Beach) to make a small strip out there. The only reason why people don't know about these beach fronts is because it is completely closed in by old properties that have been long abandoned (one of those being the Chase Packaging Plant). I'm sure that you know already that a strip is started off by a road that runs along with the waterfront and even though that portion of downtown Newport News doesn't have that, it is in the plans to develop a road that does such. If you would look on the Newport News website (newport-news.va.us), go to business...planning...and then to waterfront plan, you would see the proposed map for the idea I just mentioned. If the city agrees with this model, then sooner or later this access to the waterfront that we don't have now would bring in businesses (hopefully mixed-used developments). In affect, that would create the strip along the waterfront. Of course it wouldn't be on the scale that Va Beach is on, but it would be a beach strip never-the-less. Then again, what do i know?

I think you misunderstood me a little about where the strip could be at. The strip could be put where the actual planned area is at, which starts at King-Lincoln Park and ends beyond Anderson Park right at the Hampton/Newport News city line. If you look in this area, you will see that there is enough beach (though not as long or wide as Va Beach) to make a small strip out there. The only reason why people don't know about these beach fronts is because it is completely closed in by old properties that have been long abandoned (one of those being the Chase Packaging Plant). I'm sure that you know already that a strip is started off by a road that runs along with the waterfront and even though that portion of downtown Newport News doesn't have that, it is in the plans to develop a road that does such. If you would look on the Newport News website (newport-news.va.us), go to business...planning...and then to waterfront plan, you would see the proposed map for the idea I just mentioned. If the city agrees with this model, then sooner or later this access to the waterfront that we don't have now would bring in businesses (hopefully mixed-used developments). In affect, that would create the strip along the waterfront. Of course it wouldn't be on the scale that Va Beach is on, but it would be a beach strip never-the-less. Then again, what do i know?

Link that for us please. :D

• 2 weeks later...