Newport News Development

urbanfan

I like Whole Foods coming to the area, but I wouldn't cut down a single tree for the rest of this project. I'm certain Newport News has enough strip malls and fitness centers already. I like the surround of trees! Let's hide this from Jefferson Avenue and Jefferson Avenue from it. 

• 3 months later...

• 5 months later...

The Tech Center Marketplace at Oyster Point is starting.... Trees have come down and cleared. For the Jefferson Lab open house tomorrow, the Marketplace will have a table and reps there. Luxury apartments will be included in the mix as well as a BJ's Brewhouse which this region does not have and is damn good.

Pics from Jefferson Lab

1_zpsa99e4aac.jpg

A close-up of the stores

2_zps70327b3e.jpg

Interesting how there is an area for light rail too

3_zps0c62ead0.jpg

Don't understand the light rail concept on the Peninsula. The area just isn't dense enough for it. IMO, BRT would work well, using a similar path, but light rail on the Peninsula is pure fantasy and would be a HUGE waste of money. Also, is there really a demand for that much office space? Unless the goal is to attract some of the offices from the Oyster Point area so that those offices can be knocked down to eventually create space for bigger, taller "towers" later.

I do like the trail area that they are adding with this plan. And the Whole Foods coming to the Peninsula is a long time coming. It's also nice that the Peninsula is getting a PF Changs (surprised no Cheesecake Factory though). But overall, IMO, this isn't much of a plan to write home about.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 1:10 PM, Helium3 said:

Mayor Price unveils new design to revamp downtown Newport News. Suggestions include a pier for ferries, a public market and a pedestrian bridge.

That "pier for ferries" gets my attention. A few years ago, there was a company testing a high speed ferry between Norfolk and the Peninsula, but nothing came of it. Any sort of ferry would be a great option on those days when the tunnels are at a standstill.

• 6 months later...

Ferguson is building a new $83 million headquarters at Oyster Point City Center, saving 1000 existing jobs and creating another 400 hundred, many of which will be in IT.  

http://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/economic-development/ferguson-s-new-headquarters-project-boosts-peninsula-s-tech-jobs/article_ba51a5cd-9632-59c9-bd9c-ac45e0391897.html

"Founded in 1953, and headquartered in Newport News, Ferguson has sales of $13.8 billion and about 23,000 associates in 1,400 locations. The company is the largest wholesale distributor of residential and commercial plumbing supplies in the U.S. The company also distributes HVAC equipment, fire protection systems and industrial products."

You know, the Peninsula is often overlooked on this forum. And that's understandable given most of us live in South Hampton Roads. However, I've been over there a few times in the past year or two and have been pretty darned impressed with all the new development going on.

Additionally, Ferguson is a multi-national company. Quite philanthropic. A huge company, really, and it means as much to the Peninsula as Norfolk Southern does to the Southside.  On the retail gallery side, they make or carry some truly beautiful… and quite $$$ expensive…plumbing fixtures for your bath and kitchen. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, tallguy81" said:

Looks like a couple new highrises for city center!  http://www.saunderscrousearchitects.com/oyster-citycenter.html#

I think this is just an eventual vision. I don't read this as anything being imminent or being legitimately proposed. It would be nice, but CC seems to have stagnated since its first couple years. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HRVT said:

I think this is just an eventual vision. I don't read this as anything being imminent or being legitimately proposed. It would be nice, but CC seems to have stagnated since its first couple years. 

I was inclined to agree with you and then I looked at the building. That is definitely new, and looks different from the previous 18-story high-rise that was designed for the area and then fell through. This is recent, perhaps we'll hear some news in the coming days.

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

I was inclined to agree with you and then I looked at the building. That is definitely new, and looks different from the previous 18-story high-rise that was designed for the area and then fell through. This is recent, perhaps we'll hear some news in the coming days.

Hopefully you're right. CC could certainly use the shot in the arm that a new high rise would provide. But while I know the vision was originally for something grander, that doesn't mean that a reduction in scope is an indicator that anything is about to happen. That said, it does mean that some real thought has gone into CC again, which at the minimum means that they may be working on something. Maybe we'll hear something in the coming days, weeks, or months.

Edited by HRVT

On 4/3/2018 at 2:15 PM, HRVT said:

It is a confirmed development.  It was announced last fall of last year.  I believe the tenant is Ferguson/Wolsley instead of building the larger headquarters up near the airport.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/breeden-breaks-ground-on-newport-news-apartments/

The Breeden Co. is breaking ground on a $33 million apartment project in the Huntington Pointe area of Newport News, the Virginia Beach-based real estate firm announced Thursday.

Avant, located off Denbigh Boulevard, will have 176 one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments between 672 and 1,517 square feet each.

• 2 months later...

Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport's getting two direct flights to Florida this fall through Avelo Airlines. Service to Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale starts in October, with one-way flights as low as $29.

https://www.dailypress.com/news/transportation/vp-bz-new-airline-newport-news-williamsburg-0727-20220726-ntj7p2uck5gnpku5r6dfo5qqmi-story.html?fbclid=IwAR2rBrnf_cVHxxpVR4OsOsn7r0gt_1hKI3Q87Hr_0AFc7JjXwA98CaC5noU

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...