Newport News Development

urbanfan

You must not know much about Walmart.  Everyone gets benefits that has worked there for a specified amount of time.  And they are decent benefits.  I know this because my mother is a manager there.  Walmart gives people entry positions with room for improvement.  My mother is not even a head manager at walmart and is already making 60,000+/yr with christmas bonuses in the 10,000 - 12,000 range.  Granted, not everyone makes this money, you have to work to get there.  There is nothing wrong with a company paying minimum wage to workers who are young and have no experience.  In fact I would expect It.  As far as going after teenagers, that is just wrong.  Over half of the registers I have seen on this side of the water are occupied by middle aged to latter aged people.  Some teens yes, but not even half.  Younger teens are less reliable, therefore walmart would rather not hire them.  But they do.  I know this because my mother was head of hiring at the newport news walmart for some time.  At least get some facts before spewing off things.  I would much rather shop elsewhere, and i do, but I don't hate walmart, they do what no other store seems to want to do which is to look out for the consumers.  Tell me any other store that goes out of its way to find the lowest price for you.  If anything, the other places are asking themselves how much can I charge and get away with it.  As far as gobbling up retail establishments, target and super k seem to do just fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree. I think people have really spread bad rumors about the company due to beef that they had with them, which none of it i can find is viable info.

You must not know much about Walmart.  Everyone gets benefits that has worked there for a specified amount of time.  And they are decent benefits.  I know this because my mother is a manager there.  Walmart gives people entry positions with room for improvement.  My mother is not even a head manager at walmart and is already making 60,000+/yr with christmas bonuses in the 10,000 - 12,000 range.  Granted, not everyone makes this money, you have to work to get there.  There is nothing wrong with a company paying minimum wage to workers who are young and have no experience.  In fact I would expect It.  As far as going after teenagers, that is just wrong.  Over half of the registers I have seen on this side of the water are occupied by middle aged to latter aged people.  Some teens yes, but not even half.  Younger teens are less reliable, therefore walmart would rather not hire them.  But they do.  I know this because my mother was head of hiring at the newport news walmart for some time.  At least get some facts before spewing off things.  I would much rather shop elsewhere, and i do, but I don't hate walmart, they do what no other store seems to want to do which is to look out for the consumers.  Tell me any other store that goes out of its way to find the lowest price for you.  If anything, the other places are asking themselves how much can I charge and get away with it.  As far as gobbling up retail establishments, target and super k seem to do just fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But Target and Super K haven't saturated our market yet. There's one Target (in a prime location with no shortage of consumers) and the K-Marts are by-and-large.... not fairing so hot... lol. Wal Mart has 3 locations which do rather well, but I just think Wal Marts are a terrible waste of space. They're big boxes with standard merchandise with the sole purpose of eliminating competition. By definition, it's a monopoly. Whether or not the trade commissions see it as one or not is up for debate, but I think it is one. When you have 33% of the toy market in the US and drive dozens of businesses into the ground per/city, you're a monopoly.

The note of not allowing unionization is an interesting one. The workers have no rights to ask for anything and if they have any major greivances their positions can swiftly be eliminated and replaced by another person. I don't believe that Wal Mart (the company and it's "illustrious" founders and CEOs etc) has any intentions of genuine goodness other than their desire to rake in cash. While that's a staple of American Capitalism, I think that once a company reaches half a trillion dollars in size, it owes it to the people of the communities it invades to repay back. Wal Mart has many charitable donations under its belt. That goes without saying, but I guess reparations are neccessary when you've destroyed countless thousands of local businesses across the nation.

I feel like every time I walk into the York County Wal Mart all I see is the upper-middle-class kids that go to my school and neighboring Grafton, and while middle-aged workers are definitely present, particularly in managerial positions, largely the employees there seem to be high school and college-aged. I don't see why we need yet another Wal Mart on the Peninsula in a demographically similar-to-York County area. That's the point of this little discussion which will probably be cut out for lack of relevance to the main topic.

I totally agree. I think people have really spread bad rumors about the company due to beef that they had with them, which none of it i can find is viable info.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I loathe the company on many levels, I think only probably 50% of the angry people that claim discrimination or other problems against the company are truthful... As far as discrimination though... that's a touchy issue. I think it's possible, but more dependent on the location of the Wal Mart and who is on the manager staff more than the company itself.. but I rest on that.

While I loathe the company on many levels, I think only probably 50% of the angry people that claim discrimination or other problems against the company are truthful...  As far as discrimination though... that's a touchy issue.  I think it's possible, but more dependent on the location of the Wal Mart and who is on the manager staff more than the company itself.. but I rest on that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think most of those claims are bogus and are just people caught screwing off and got fired and use the overused discrimination claims to get what they want. I worked around alot people like that and most of them were jokes and did nothing and got caught and used the infamous discrimination against them thing. Note that I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I can really say that only about 10% of those claims are genuine.

I think most of those claims are bogus and are just people caught screwing off and got fired and use the overused discrimination claims to get what they want. I worked around alot people like that and most of them were jokes and did nothing and got caught and used the infamous discrimination against them thing. Note that I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I can really say that only about 10% of those claims are genuine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the first few cases were genuine then people realised it was lucrative and it became increasingly difficult to tell them apart... true and false.

I wouldn't think it improbable for discrimination suits in small backwoods towns... and while that may be stereotypical, it's not without reason.

But Target and Super K haven't saturated our market yet.  There's one Target (in a prime location with no shortage of consumers) and the K-Marts are by-and-large.... not fairing so hot...  lol.  Wal Mart has 3 locations which do rather well, but I just think Wal Marts are a terrible waste of space.  They're big boxes with standard merchandise with the sole purpose of eliminating competition.  By definition, it's a monopoly.  Whether or not the trade commissions see it as one or not is up for debate, but I think it is one.  When you have 33% of the toy market in the US and drive dozens of businesses into the ground per/city, you're a monopoly.

The note of not allowing unionization is an interesting one.  The workers have no rights to ask for anything and if they have any major greivances their positions can swiftly be eliminated and replaced by another person.  I don't believe that Wal Mart (the company and it's "illustrious" founders and CEOs etc) has any intentions of genuine goodness other than their desire to rake in cash.  While that's a staple of American Capitalism, I think that once a company reaches half a trillion dollars in size, it owes it to the people of the communities it invades to repay back.  Wal Mart has many charitable donations under its belt.  That goes without saying, but I guess reparations are neccessary when you've destroyed countless thousands of local businesses across the nation.

I feel like every time I walk into the York County Wal Mart all I see is the upper-middle-class kids that go to my school and neighboring Grafton, and while middle-aged workers are definitely present, particularly in managerial positions, largely the employees there seem to be high school and college-aged.  I don't see why we need yet another Wal Mart on the Peninsula in a demographically similar-to-York County area.  That's the point of this little discussion which will probably be cut out for lack of relevance to the main topic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I frequent the York county some, in fact just this morning. Not one teen working. As far as reparations, for what? Because they have low prices? What the he?? does walmart owe anyone. Just because mom and pops can't keep up. Whose fault is that. What is it with everyone thinking that because someone does so well, that they must be evil and they owe the world. Walmart had its humble beginnings and rose to power because it did one thing. It looks out for the interest of common people who choose to find a bargain. Just because walmart offers bargains doesn't mean its there fault because someone else close. How about the people who stopped shopping at the smaller stores. Isn't it there fault too. Shouldn't they pay reparations for abandoning the stores they use to shop at. What next? Should city council be held liable for allowing a walmart come in that put another place out of business. The world of retail is based around on thing now adays. Low prices. Back in small towns and such there are still mom and pop stores. But the fact is if they had a walmart, they would probably shop there. Walmart was not always a giant and had to work its way up just like any one else. The difference is that walmart did it right, and now they should be penalized for it? What has killed the smaller mom and pop stores is not walmart. Its the fact that the world is no longer accustomed to knowing there pharmacist by name. We don't live in communities where everyone knows eachother, or where costumer service is first. People want one thing nowadays and thats value. plain and simple. Walmart gives it, therefore walmart wins.

I frequent the York county some, in fact just this morning.  Not one teen working.  As far as reparations, for what?  Because they have low prices?  What the he?? does walmart owe anyone.  Just because mom and pops can't keep up.  Whose fault is that.  What is it with everyone thinking that because someone does so well, that they must be evil and they owe the world.  Walmart had its humble beginnings and rose to power because it did one thing.  It looks out for the interest of common people who choose to find a bargain.  Just because walmart offers bargains doesn't mean its there fault because someone else close.  How about the people who stopped shopping at the smaller stores.  Isn't it there fault too.  Shouldn't they pay reparations for abandoning the stores they use to shop at.  What next?  Should city council be held liable for allowing a walmart come in that put another place out of business.  The world of retail is based around on thing now adays.  Low prices.  Back in small towns and such there are still mom and pop stores.  But the fact is if they had a walmart, they would probably shop there.  Walmart was not always a giant and had to work its way up just like any one else.  The difference is that walmart did it right, and now they should be penalized for it?  What has killed the smaller mom and pop stores is not walmart.  Its the fact that the world is no longer accustomed to knowing there pharmacist by name.  We don't live in communities where everyone knows eachother, or where costumer service is first.  People want one thing nowadays and thats value.  plain and simple.  Walmart gives it, therefore walmart wins.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read about half of that before I had to make a point:

"What next? Should city council be held liable for allowing a walmart come in that put another place out of business."

That sounds like what Newport News kinda just did. They're preventing it from coming in in the first place.

"What next?  Should city council be held liable for allowing a walmart come in that put another place out of business."

That sounds like what Newport News kinda just did.  They're preventing it from coming in in the first place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

City council has yet to disapprove it yet. This is just one step in the process. Don't be surprised to see a Walmart there.

Before further fuel is added to the fire, I'll just say that it's true---mom and pops can't keep up because they don't have the resources and they can't charge prices so low, so they lose. It's American business, plain and simple. But when there aren't any other options for getting things---food, clothes, music, movies, etc---that's a monopoly plain and simple, and a monopoly can't be explained away and have excuses given for it.

If in 10 years Wal Mart is still growing at its current rate, I'd be appalled. I pray this to be a "Corporate Rome".

City council has yet to disapprove it yet. This is just one step in the process. Don't be surprised to see a Walmart there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope not. I'm hoping the city council takes notice that they're finally becoming a real city and they need to begin to urbanize that corridor of their city and sorry, but a Wal Mart doesn't quite cut it.

Before further fuel is added to the fire, I'll just say that it's true---mom and pops can't keep up because they don't have the resources and they can't charge prices so low, so they lose.  It's American business, plain and simple.  But when there aren't any other options for getting things---food, clothes, music, movies, etc---that's a monopoly plain and simple, and a monopoly can't be explained away and have excuses given for it.

If in 10 years Wal Mart is still growing at its current rate, I'd be appalled.  I pray this to be a "Corporate Rome".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude if that was the case the malls would close and target would not be here. You can't say that walmart is an monopoly because you do have many options. Walmart just brings multiple things in one store. I don't see malls shuting down yet.

"What next?  Should city council be held liable for allowing a walmart come in that put another place out of business."

That sounds like what Newport News kinda just did.  They're preventing it from coming in in the first place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the planning commission has no bearing in this situation, it just give recommendations, which is what happened yesterday. The real decision comes from city council. Like i said, I don't see them passing up large tax dollars because a few residents don't want a walmart there. It actually would be in a very good place. Not at a huge intersection, that would create mindless traffic snarls. located in a residential community, serving newport news and hampton residents. It is actually one of the best proposals I've seen. In fact, walmart redesigned the walmart at the request of the city to include less parking and make the facade dressed up, which is what they did. however, that is why i think this will go through. The city would never have given them the comments, if they didn't expect it to be there.

the planning commission has no bearing in this situation, it just give recommendations, which is what happened yesterday.  The real decision comes from city council.  Like i said, I don't see them passing up large tax dollars because a few residents don't want a walmart there.  It actually would be in a very good place.  Not at a huge intersection, that would create mindless traffic snarls.  located in a residential community, serving newport news and hampton residents.  It is actually one of the best proposals I've seen.  In fact, walmart redesigned the walmart at the request of the city to include less parking and make the facade dressed up, which is what they did. however, that is why i think this will go through.  The city would never have given them the comments, if they didn't expect it to be there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just think that a different paint color and the lack of a big-@$$ blue sign is a paltry "dressing-up". The parking thing and the fact that it isn't at a major intersection is good though---I agree with that. The one at Rte-17 is a horrendous nightmare on top of an already horrific intersection.

This thread has gone on for awhile and I don't recall if this is a regular Wally world or Super one being proposed. The regular Wal Mart over here in VB does good business but is not horribly congested.. on the other hand the Super one on South Lynnhaven is just HORRIBLE and I avoid that place almost like the plague.

This thread has gone on for awhile and I don't recall if this is a regular Wally world or Super one being proposed. The regular Wal Mart over here in VB does good business but is not horribly congested.. on the other hand the Super one on South Lynnhaven is just HORRIBLE and I avoid that place almost like the plague.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I don't really like those Super Wal Marts ... they are really just scary the way they are crowded. I wonder if it would be more profitable for a developer to do an urban walmart that was designed to make it a more pleasant shopping experience. Would it be a complete flop or would it completely remake the walmart image? Personally, I think it would be cool if Walmart decided to redo their proposal for the area to be a super walmart "shopping village" that has parking garages and is pedestrian oriented in a village-like orientation splitting up the departments into minature "markets". It could be fenced off where people can do the final purchases. It would be ripe for restaurants and fountains and stuff. Just a thought. Could work.

By the way, PeninsulaKiddo, there is a Target in Hampton which makes 2 in the area. Just a heads up.

Also, you shouldn't forget that all those "low wages" that you keep referring to is part of the solution, not the problem. Walmart workers don't start at 10-15 bucks an hr because the entry level positions are just not at that pay level. Any company that would hire their entry level sales clerks for 10 bucks an hr is doing a disservice to the community simply because they have less money to hire fewer people. So while the lucky ones who manage to land a job are in good shape, there's many more who would be willing to work the same job for less who are completely unemployed. Furthermore, putting an artificial wage floor on companies makes the job competition far tougher and tends to let in peripheral considerations (like race and gender) that might be less or a non-issue when more people are getting hired for lower wages. It's econ 101, man.

I may not like Walmart, but they are a HUGE employer. Would you rather they A. raise wages and slash job numbers or B. keep things as they are and hire mor eand more people while encouraging workers to stay and gain useful experience that could be used for advancement within the company or for employment elsewhere? I think that's a no brainer.

Backlash criticism on successful corporations is the hallmark of someone who likes to live in a place I like to call lalaland. Business practices aren't ever pretty, but the simplistic notion that higher pay=good can be a perfect formula for making a city or state remarkably uncompetitive for attracting business.

I respect your passion for the workers and trust me I can empathize, given all the crap jobs I have taken over the years, but in the end this is the proper way to do things.

Edited by mercuex

That is the point I was trying to make and have to say well done my friend. I don't see too much of anything that would bring the number of jobs that Walmart would bring to come to that location. Don't you think that if a corp came it would even that would make the traffic alot worse. Its a good place for someone that has no job to make something of themselves for someone that other wise would be on welfare or worse. Its not as bad as you think and you have let people influence your judgement.

Looks like City Center is full steam ahead.  City Council just approved another parking garage that will be built in sections and will eventually tie into the meridian when built.  Here is the link City Center

Some other interesting reading too. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that whole newsletter thing is great. I do wish they would update it more regularly, though. Don't they know there are people like us who crave this kind of information!

Has anyone seen that place recently? jesus christ it looks like a different city! It's really easy to forget where you are!

• 2 weeks later...

Wal-Mart kills its Newport News superstore proposal

"Company cites overwhelming community resistance; opponents are stunned at their unexpected victory."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A few weeks ago, I was extremely opposed to Wal Mart coming in. I was so fervently against the idealogical existence of Wal Mart that it disgusted me that they were going to pollute our cities yet again. Hearing that, in a way, I and others like me 'won', I'm not thrilled but not disappointed. I hope that the property can be developed into something along the lines of the Hampton Towne Centre just down the street and produce at least an equal number of jobs. I was kind of getting used to the idea of Wal Mart succeeding, because they often do, but in a way I have respect in that they realized that the community didn't want them and they didn't want to antagonize their consumers. I guess I'm happy then in two ways: one, that now something possibly bigger and better (how cliche) can be built, and two, I have a newfound respect for Wal Mart. I may not like them, but I can respect that they respect their customers.

Although not a frequent wal-mart shopper (for obvious reasons), I respect Wal-Mart. I don't always support everything they do, but I believe it is good for most communites. To me, wal-mart symbolizes ingenuity and the American dream. You may not respect their business tactics, and I am not one to say because I know very little about them, but I don't know where some places would be without a Wal-Mart. To me, it was a relief to drive for hours and hours this past summer and always know a Wal-Mart is nearby. Just my opinion though.

Edited by okinawatyphoon

Wal-Mart kills its Newport News superstore proposal

"Company cites overwhelming community resistance; opponents are stunned at their unexpected victory."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Way to go NN. This really gives me a good feeling that people can make a difference against such insurmountable odds.

Edited by vdogg