Newport News Development

urbanfan

I'm also tired of everyone assuming that American means you are white too. When I think of american i don't think of race.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn! no kidding. I'm half japanese and half italian and i feel pretty god-damn 'merican, thank you very much. Virginian too.

Its annoys me most when people who aren't white don all these ridiculously stereotypical 'ethnic' costumes to 'get back to their roots' or whatever. Its like asians, any kind of asians, who follow anime and drive hondas because it seems like the asian thing to do.

I just dont see why we have to delineate ourselves and insist on being something else even though when it all comes down to it, we're just americans.

::sigh::

Oh here's FYI of the day. Newport News has a improportionally large number of Bosnians and Koreans. Norfolk has an improportionally large number of arabs and indians. Virginia Beach has an improportionally large number of people. :lol:

what does your name mean, if you don't mind me asking?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Iroquois it means "deer with flying laser gun".

Actually it originally was meant to mean mercu(ry) and ex which is "from" in latin. From Mercury is meant to imply a connection to the god of war.

Earlier today, some of the local leaders were taken for a tour in the Marriot Hotel in the City Center development. They were taken to the 10th floor, where the sight was visible all the way to the Chamberlain Hotel at Fort Monroe. There is some discussion about the possibility of a private dining club for the 11th floor, but I do not anticipate that coming to fruition.

City Center at Oyster Point looks different every day. The amount of development that has gone up this summer is really amazing.

Earlier today, some of the local leaders were taken for a tour in the Marriot Hotel in the City Center development.  They were taken to the 10th floor, where the sight was visible all the way to the Chamberlain Hotel at Fort Monroe.  There is some discussion about the possibility of a private dining club for the 11th floor, but I do not anticipate that coming to fruition.

City Center at Oyster Point looks different every day.  The amount of development that has gone up this summer is really amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is great news! I also read that there is suppose to be a cancer treatment center and its going to be on Magruder anyone else hear about this.

Earlier today, some of the local leaders were taken for a tour in the Marriot Hotel in the City Center development.  They were taken to the 10th floor, where the sight was visible all the way to the Chamberlain Hotel at Fort Monroe.  There is some discussion about the possibility of a private dining club for the 11th floor, but I do not anticipate that coming to fruition.

City Center at Oyster Point looks different every day.  The amount of development that has gone up this summer is really amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any news on the 20-something story tower for City Center that was in one of the renderings?

Yeah thats the one. I think they are waiting for a company but maybe already have the building planned out......i'm not sure..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that's the "corporate campus" HQ building that's slated for the next phase along w the 18 story condo tower and low rise condo village. Nothing specific yet, though. It might be worthwhile for someone to email Florence Kingston about it. I think they're tired of me emailing and have caught on that I'm not REALLY just an interested student inquiring for "research purposes" LOL.

But yeah I went by there yesterday to drop off something at Fountain Plaza II and wow man. It really is starting to look like the nucleus of a miniature downtown. If the 11th floor of the Marriott can give you a view all the way to the chamberlain, imagine what the Meridian's 18th floor or the 23 story corporate building can show!!

Yeah that's the "corporate campus" HQ building that's slated for the next phase along w the 18 story condo tower and low rise condo village. Nothing specific yet, though. It might be worthwhile for someone to email Florence Kingston about it. I think they're tired of me emailing and have caught on that I'm not REALLY just an interested student inquiring for "research purposes" LOL.

But yeah I went by there yesterday to drop off something at Fountain Plaza II and wow man. It really is starting to look like the nucleus of a miniature downtown. If the 11th floor of the Marriott can give you a view all the way to the chamberlain, imagine what the Meridian's 18th floor or the 23 story corporate building can show!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, doesn't NN already have a downtown?

Not really as far as I know its really called the east end.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't agree with that. They do have a downtown although it's not used in the traditional

sense. There is a very large industrial presence but it is a downtown nonetheless.

I don't agree with that. They do have a downtown although it's not used in the traditional

sense. There is a very large industrial presence but it is a downtown nonetheless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well its kind of debatable and I've talked to alot of Newport News residents and alot of them feel that its just the east end. Alot of things that would classify it as a downtown has been moved to the oyster point area. Just like the TC has not been called a DT is because the city doesn't have its courts and facilities offices down there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Badnewsese we call it the "traditional downtown" and City Center is referred to as the "downtown of the Peninsula". When someone asks where our CBD is, there really isnt' any confusion whatsoever. The very large majority of our business and high tech companies have their presence in Oyster Point.

The "traditional downtown" is effectively split between Northrop Grumman, Municipal offices, Port of Newport News, and the Coal Terminal, mostly in that order. It's quite busy during the day, but at night and on the weekends it's basically abandoned.

Hoobo, the east end, where they are developing the new Mariner's Watch, is not part of the "downtown" per se, though its in the general vicinity and thus often miscategorized. That place is best known for its crime and the birthplace of the "broken window" theory that become such a sensation in Guiliani NYC. Both areas have a lot of potential (as evidenced by the Mariner's Watch development) but right now all the local developers avoid it. I imagine that in the future, especially if the coal terminal packs up, could have promise ... but not for awhile at least. A few hundred people actually still live in downtown, and most of them are middle class and not badly off at all.

What would have been nice if that newly created "downtown" they have in Oyster Point was built in the original downtown. It would have made for a pretty impressive skyline at least comparable, if smaller, to Norfolk. That said, it's not geographically feasible since DT Newport News is the area that WAS ONLY Newport News pre-consolidation with then-Warwick county.

Here's a pic that was put up on an earlier post in this thread:

Vascic-looking-ne_OP.jpg

If you want to see other pics, check out page three.