Newport News Development

urbanfan

That's the NNSB design/engineering building.  It's supposed to look like a carrier control tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too. Here's the thing ... I really like the downtown and I wish it were still functionally the downtown of the city. I think that, like all things, it will see its renaissance someday. Just not for awhile. I imagine once the east end stabilizes and the coal terminal goes, a rash of development will follow and people will come back. The question then, however, is what state city center will be in and whether NN can make it so both areas are economically vibrant simultaneously. The important thing is to make it so each area is filling a specific niche that the other cannot. Like downtown can do high tech industry, maybe R&D, municipal, family oriented and waterfront activities while City Center can be more hip, urbane, and clubby as well as catering to shoppers and businessmen.

This city could be soooo great.

Yes and depends. I think the urbanization will make NN jump in population more than expected (it's expected to grow like 20,000 people within the next 10 yrs or something...). I think the Peninsula could reach the 1 mil mark eventually but it has a lot to do with smart growth initiatives in Hampton, NN, and York County.

JESUS CHRIST can anyone believe this storm?!?! I feel like I'm going to die soon or something

Edited by mercuex

Yeah we kinda already has this conversation about Newport News's old downtown, but I think it is worth talking about. I know they say that NN's downtown has "shifted", or whatever to City Center, but I think they would have been wise to build it by the currrent downtown as there is already high-rises and lots of jobs.

Yeah we kinda already has this conversation about Newport News's old downtown, but I think it is worth talking about. I know they say that NN's downtown has "shifted", or whatever to City Center, but I think they would have been wise to build it by the currrent downtown as there is already high-rises and lots of jobs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They put it in the middle of the city to make it convient for the entire city which is smart. ^_^

Yeah that's the "corporate campus" HQ building that's slated for the next phase along w the 18 story condo tower and low rise condo village.

Apparently, the 18 story luxury condominium project is not a done deal, although it will happen more than likely. A small ad was run in the newspaper a couple weeks ago to guage demand, and there was a huge feedback. But I think in order to nail down the project, they will need a good amount of actual commitments before the project actually goes forward. I really hope it happens, because the rendering is beautiful.

Do you think Newport News will every reach the 200k mark? Do you think the pennisula will reach the 1 million mark?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As of 2004 Newport News has a population just over 181,000. But population growth in the city has been slow. Newport News could reach 200,000 within 20 years. As for the peninsula reaching 1 million residents, won't happen in my life time and I'm 19. If you define the peninsula as Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, and York County the peninsula's population is just over 400,000.

Apparently, the 18 story luxury condominium project is not a done deal, although it will happen more than likely.  A small ad was run in the newspaper a couple weeks ago to guage demand, and there was a huge feedback.  But I think in order to nail down the project, they will need a good amount of actual commitments before the project actually goes forward.  I really hope it happens, because the rendering is beautiful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well technically, most of what was laid out in the master plan wasn't a done deal simply because they had to work it out along market demand. I tried calling that number they supplied for the Meridian Info line and that junk had been turned into a voicemail thing because of such a huge volume of callers.

I think if these high rises get built, it will create the critical mass needed to spur more high rise development.

It will happen B)

Wow this could be awesome. Something like NET. I'm really hoping they do it so the shuttle is free. That would increase ridership SO much. I'm sure corporate sponsorship and an arrangement with like ... CNU could mitigate costs.

NEWPORT NEWS --  Workers, shoppers and residents of Port Warwick and City Center at Oyster Point soon may be able to commute between the two developments using a trolley or shuttle service.

Newport News economic development and Hampton Roads Transit officials are preparing plans for a service that connects the two, which have emerged as hubs in central Newport News. A plan is coming together that likely will be presented to Newport News City Council in October.

The service would be the first of its kind in the city, although details on the type of vehicles and the route are not final. The exact route is still being discussed, said Paul Adamo, with Hampton Roads Transit, in a presentation to the Newport News industrial and economic development authorities Friday morning.

"Being able to put these two together is something we're all very excited about," said Florence Kingston, director of development for Newport News.

Kingston said the concept is to have a fleet of vehicles like airport shuttle buses, running between key points in Port Warwick and City Center. The shuttles likely would run into the evening, to cater to people working late or visiting restaurants.

Riders likely would have to pay a fee, Kingston said.

Kingston said it is logical to connect the two centers, as Port Warwick is more heavily residential and City Center has more office space.

The shuttle routes would stop at regular HRT bus stops, but the shuttle would distinguish itself from regular bus service by the type of vehicle and shorter route.

It's also possible the city could be eligible for federal or state transportation grants for the project, Kingston said.

Well mercuex is doesn't seem that the coal is going away now that they have expansions in Chesapeake and Newport Newswith coal piers. I always think that the east end will be for industrial things and that it will stay the same but the center or Oyster Point will become the DT for Newport News.

Well mercuex is doesn't seem that the coal is going away now that they have expansions in Chesapeake and Newport Newswith coal piers. I always think that the east end will be for industrial things and that it will stay the same but the center or Oyster Point will become the DT for Newport News.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's probably true. Though as Baltimore is a case in point, there's always room to turn an industrial area into a white collar one. especially if it involves the waterside.

What about Willamsburg and James City County?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Williamsburg and James City County are a good 20-30 minute drive from Hampton and lower Newport News. IMO that area is past the peninsula but whatever. James City County has 55,502 residents as of 2004 and Williamsburg with 11,465 residents. With those numbers added the peninsula would have a population of just under 470,000.

Williamsburg and James City County are a good 20-30 minute drive from Hampton and lower Newport News.  IMO that area is past the peninsula but whatever.  James City County has 55,502 residents as of 2004 and Williamsburg with 11,465 residents.  With those numbers added the peninsula would have a population of just under 470,000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um? It's included in the overall metro count and they are much closer to being on the Peninsula than not. Look at the map - both pretty much border Newport News and therefore aren't technically anything more than a second from NN ^_^

peninsulamap.jpg