Abandoned house - Old Hwy 51 & Independence

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't see it in the satellite picture because of trees, but if you're driving down Old Hwy 51 (the road where Harris Teeter corporate office is on) towards Independence, past Carolina Lanes bowling alley, right before you get to the stoplight there is an old house on the right with an adjacent garage and a lot of land. I wasn't in Charlotte if it was occupied at any point in the past, but if anyone has any information on it please feel free to post it.

what road did you put in to find it?

I cannot fin d it.  What kind of info is it anyway?

it's private yes, but it's public record....besides the person who owns it now is probably the grandson/grandaughter of whoever built it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I PM'ed you the Parcel ID

Thanks found it...I'll also thank the woman in Asheville for leaving a house that's falling apart just sitting there. ;) I think I'll build a house on Merrimon Rd. in Asheville and then just leave it there for 29 years.

If it's worth that much, why not sell it? Its not much use just sitting there asking for arson.

Hey Cantnot this map is really useful thanks. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you're welcome!

Was that seriously considered a farm in 1936?  That's funny...a farm near Independence Boulevard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes it was.. I'm pretty sure Independence existed then, but what present-day Monroe Road is was the busier thoroughfare since it runs parallel to the railroad tracks and runs right through the downtowns of Matthews, Stallings, Indian Trail, Monroe... etc and Independence pretty much runs to the sides of these towns. But where that house is and farm was was considered the outskirts of Matthews at the time.

(someone correct me if i'm wrong on any of the information)

Was that seriously considered a farm in 1936?  That's funny...a farm near Independence Boulevard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually when I moved here in 1978, the farms ran up Independence right up to Scott Clark's Toyota. (then called Toyota City). There was almost nothing between 51 and Independence and Margaret Wallace Rd next to Toyota City except some cows.

There were only 3 stop lights from Idlewilde and Independence all the way to Monroe past Skyline drive. Skyline Drive is the bridge that crosses Independence in Monroe.

Even then we still thought the traffic was bad. :lol:

Actually when I moved here in 1978, the farms ran up Independence right up to Scott Clark's Toyota. (then called Toyota City).  There was almost nothing between 51 and Independence and Margaret Wallace Rd next to Toyota City except some cows.   

There were only  3 stop lights from Idlewilde and Independence all the way to Monroe past Skyline drive. Skyline Drive is the bridge that crosses Independence in Monroe.   

Even then we still thought the traffic was bad.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

is it Skyline or Skyway drive?

Independence Blvd (US-74) wasn't built until the 1950s. Monroe Road was the major artery for east Charlotte and Monroe.

check out this website, has some cool photos of vintage Charlotte

http://www.gribblenation.com/ncpics/charlotte/1965.html

Here's a pic of Independence and Conference with East Meck HS visible in the upper middle. Anybody still remember the old concrete off ramp? It's kinda cool how its still visible if you knew it was once there.

74-Wallace_Rd-Conference_Dr-1965.jpg

same website:

http://www.gribblenation.com/ncpics/charlotte/

Random tidbit. My parents used to tell me that when Independence was built, a three foot layer of asphalt was put down on the section east of Conference Drive and intown it included a concrete base. Ever wonder why the inside two lanes are in much better shape than the outside third lane? The third lane was added later and built to today's crappy standards. Maybe this is hard to tell now b/c so much of the old, in-town section has been ripped up.

Here's a pic of Independence and Conference with East Meck HS visible in the upper middle.  Anybody still remember the old concrete off ramp?  It's kinda cool how its still visible if you knew it was once there.

I seem to remember there being a horrific car accident at that intersection. Its been a long time ago, but I think the result of that accident is one of the reasons it got rebuilt to its present form.

Note there is no Harris Blvd in that photo. It didn't exist yet.

Oh and you are correct about skyway drive. I tend to avoid that place as much as possible now and got it mixed up.

OE-305

There is an abandoned on ramp if you get on to I-277 North when you go by the cats STATION IN DOWNTOWN. yOU GET ON 277 AND RIGHT WHEN YOU SEE THE FACTORY on your left, look to your right and there is an abandoned on-ramp used for something in the past. It is almost right before the 77 North/South signs. Was this possibly an entrance ramp to I-277 that is no longer used because of the area of town?

Archived