Oklahoma Off-Topic

Spartan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Oklahoma get its nickname: "The Sooner State"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when indian territory was opened in 1889 thousands of people lined up at the border. when the gun was fired they raced across the line to stake their claim. some of the people went in early to find land and they became known as "sooners" hence the nickname the "sooner state". anything else?

hmmm.... oklahoma.

okc is one of the largest cities of the great plains, and is the largest city of the 5 plains states. OK, KAN, NEB, N DAK, S DAK. as well as other neighboring sates. neb, missouri, new mex, and ark.

okc 528,042

albuquerque 484,246

kc 444,387

omaha 409,416

tulsa 383,764

wichita 353,823

saint louis 343,279

little rock 184,081

sioux falls 136,695

norman 100,923

fargo 91,048

there are 39 tribes & nations of american indians with headquarters in OK.

the 5 civilized tribes tryed for statehood under the name of sequoyah in 1905.

the red earth festival is the largest native american gathering in the country, bringing in over 100 tribes to okc. it has been rated one of the nations must see events.

mile for mile OK offers the nations most diverse terrains.all in all 10 ecoregions from cypress swamps to hardwood forests. (not flat and boring like every one thinks)

okc is the largest city besides jacksonville to be in compliance with the epa's clean air stadards.

Edited by fromdust

OKC is the 3rd largest in land area at 608 sq. mi., as fromdust already siad. What are the largest( JAX is the largest in the contiguous 48, I do know that).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote

juneau, alaska is the largest city with 3081 sq. mi. thats larger than the state of deleware.

and jax is 841 sq. mi.

Edited by fromdust

juneau, alaska is the largest city with 3081 sq. mi. thats larger than the state of deleware.

and jax is 841 sq. mi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A few cities in Duval county (which is 841 sq. mi.) voted against consolidation. That birngs JAX-Duval's land area down to 748.

hmmm.... oklahoma.

okc is one of the largest cities of the great plains, and is the largest city of the 5 plains states. OK, KAN, NEB, N DAK, S DAK. as well as other neighboring sates. neb, missouri, new mex, and ark.

okc 528,042

albuquerque 484,246

kc 444,387

omaha 409,416

tulsa 383,764

wichita 353,823

saint louis 343,279

little rock 184,081

sioux falls 136,695

norman 100,923

fargo 91,048

there are 39 tribes & nations of american indians with headquarters in OK.

the 5 civilized tribes tryed for statehood under the name of sequoyah in 1905.

the red earth festival is the largest native american gathering in the country, bringing in over 100 tribes to okc. it has been rated one of the nations must see events.

mile for mile OK offers the nations most diverse terrains.all in all 10 ecoregions from cypress swamps to hardwood forests. (not flat and boring like every one thinks)

okc is the largest city besides jacksonville to be in compliance with the epa's clean air stadards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't realize Oklahoma City was bigger than Albuquerque. Some reason I always thought Albuquerque seemed bigger. Any idea if that also includes metro or just city limits?

okc metro: 1,144,627

albuquerque metro:782,916

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Albuquerque's metro was a little bigger than that, but that doesn't change the fact that Oklahoma City is bigger both in city and metro population. I guess that would explain why I always seem to have traffic problems when I driving through.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 15 years later...
  • 1 year later...