Charleston free Wi-Fi service coming soon

MikesLogic

Check out the RFP here Charleston WiFi RFP

The City of Charleston, South Carolina (City) is soliciting proposals for the third party installation, maintenance and provision of a non-exclusive free Internet service for a Wireless Fidelity System (WiFi). This request will require the descriptions of all necessary equipment and installation for such a system as well as back-end support.

The proposed WiFi system will provide free wireless Internet access via IEEE 802.11g and 802.11b (WiFi) standard-based technologies

This will be nice, the first phase will be covering all of the peninsula. With later phases to include the rest of Charleston.

It is anticipated that the WiFi system will include

• 1 month later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to post an update on this. Latest news about the citywide WiFi plan.

If all goes as planned, by 2006 downtown Charleston will be covered by a Wi-Fi "cloud" that residents and visitors with compatible computers can tap into free of charge.

One of the companies that did bid, Aerolina Inc., has already done a lot of Wi-Fi work in the city. Aerolina administers "Thinkspots," a cluster of small Wi-Fi networks subsidized by the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce.

I was listening to NPR radio in early August about the Wi-Fi idea in Philadelphia. One problem that will make the city of Chas have a difficult time going through this is Comcast Cable will put up a huge fight to stop this idea since its the cable company for most of the low country. According to what i heard about the Wi-Fi network, the monthly cost is way cheaper than cable, i think its like 15 bucks a month. What will benefit Charleston are two things; provide affordable internet to just about everyone and bring real competetion between Crapcast and Wi-Fi. 45-50 bucks a month is very expensive for high speed internet, im hoping Chas. pulls through with this!

I was listening to NPR radio in early August about the Wi-Fi idea in Philadelphia. One problem that will make the city of Chas have a difficult time going through this is Comcast Cable will put up a huge fight to stop this idea since its the cable company for most of the low country. According to what i heard about the Wi-Fi network, the monthly cost is way cheaper than cable, i think its like 15 bucks a month. What will benefit Charleston are two things; provide affordable internet to just about everyone and bring real competetion between Crapcast and Wi-Fi. 45-50 bucks a month is very expensive for high speed internet, im hoping Chas. pulls through with this!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is so true in dealing with Comcast. The cable company has a HUGE monopoly there, and with Wi-Fi coming, it will be a tremendous competition. I think if Comcast starts fighting this, they will be interfering with the free market, which is wrong. If they can't deal with the competition, they need to step aside!

Could you clarify how we went from free to $15?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Philadelphia is imposing $15 a month internet access. I guess i did not make that clear enough, sorry. :D

IF, Chas. provides free internet access vs 45-50 dollar Comcast high speed internet, this will be very interesting!

Archived