largest US cities

tocoto

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm usually the person that people go to for useless facts so that presented a real problem. I asked one of the older gents (Dookie) at work because he would be the only person not to wonder why I was asking a question I already know the answer to.

He said:

LA, Chicago, NYC, one of those cities in Texas...Austin, Texas.... Did I mention Boston? Has to be bigger than Detroit...

I asked my friend what he thought the largest US cities were, & he said:

1) New York

2) Chicago

3) Los Angeles

4) Detroit

5) San Francisco

I find this funny, because Detroit hasn't been the country's 4th largest city since like the 1940s!

• 2 years later...

ok ready well she's dumb anyway but i'll post what she told me

1.New York

2.Chicago

3.Los Angeles

4.Washington

5.San Fran

LOL yea....

The real 20 largest cities....Just cities (not counting metros)

1.New York

2.Los Angeles

3.Chicago

4.Houston

5.Philadelphia

6.Phoenix

7.San Diego

8.San Antonio

9.Dallas

10.San Jose

11.Detroit

12.Jacksonville

13.Indianapolis

14.San Francisco

15.Columbus

16.Louisville

17.Austin

18.Memphis

19.Baltimore

20.Fort Worth

The true largest cities are:

(600 sq. mi. core regardless of political boundaries)

1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago

4. San Francisco

5. Philadelphia

6. Miami

7. Washington

8. Dallas

9. Detroit

10. Boston

11. Houston

12. Phoenix

13. San Diego

14. Seattle

15. Denver

16. Cleveland

17. San Bernardino

18. Minneapolis

19. Baltimore

20. Atlanta

I noticed that almost everyone listed DC as one of the largest when it isn't even in the top 20. I guess that the more people hear of a city, the bigger they think it is.

Maybe DC is not the largest, but in terms of importance/influence it's #1 in the world for obvious reasons. Its metro is one of the most populated in the country, it's got the most educated populace of any metro in the country, and the city's downtown is very urban.

The true largest cities are:

(600 sq. mi. core regardless of political boundaries)

Where did you get this from? How were the 600 sq miles for each city determined?

I don't think people forget about the south. I think when you're talking about people who are not nerds (like those of us at Urban Planet.) When they think about the largest cities, the first thing that comes to mind, are what they hear and see on TV. The two largest cities in the south, Dallas, and Houston. Just don't get very much airtime on Television, and on screen. I think alot of people gauge how large a city is based on Metropolitan areas. Funny that in the south Miami has the largest metro area, I bet most people who were not in the know would think that Miami was the largest city. Or perhaps Atlanta.

The largest metro areas in the south would be

Miami

Dallas

Houston

and then Atlanta.

they are all so close in population too, they kind of meld with the other metropolis' in that population bracket.

1) New York

2) Chicago

3) Los Angeles

4) Detroit

5) San Francisco

I find this funny, because Detroit hasn't been the country's 4th largest city since like the 1940s!

But it was 5th until the late 70s, and 6th until the late 80s, so that's not a bad guess at all

1) New York

2) Chicago

3) Los Angeles

4) Detroit

5) San Francisco

I'm not sure why Detroit being ranked #4 is funny. San Francisco has never been ranked as high as #5. It's highest ranking was #8...back in 1890!

^^your talking about Detroit?
Detroit:

1840: ranked #40

1850: ranked #30

1860: ranked #19

1870: ranked #18

1880: ranked #18

1890: ranked #15

1900: ranked #13

1910: ranked #9

1920: ranked #4

1930: ranked #4

1940: ranked #4

1950: ranked #5

1960: ranked #5

1970: ranked #5

1980: ranked #6

1990: ranked #7

2000: ranked #10

It's eleventh now, it's continued slide will drop it even further though. Although it make five years before it falls out of eleventh. Barring that certain cities stay growing stagnantly, and that either the city stops hemmoraging. Or in the miraculous event that it might actually gain a couple of people.

Archived