Moving To JAX?

frag24

Hi-

Just got a place in Oakleaf Plantation (moving from Long Island NY). The community is located in Clay County. This place is like NY suburbs, it's really nice. I saw some postings about malls that are about to be constructed, sounds perfect! With all those brand names that I've heard I think it's better to have a "century 21 department store" here in JAX- they have really good prices.

Just need some help as to what should I be expecting in this area. Anything info would really help....... Thank You

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the area.

Expect hot and humid summers and mild to cool winters. Plenty of rain and sun (don't ask you get plenty of both, you just do). Expect lots of new neighbors in the next few years as that part of town is growing at an incredible rate. Expect rush hour traffic on Blanding Blvd to be hectic. Expect to drive a lot as Jacksonville is ver spread out. But above all, expect to enjoy your area. It's not the bustle of NY but it offers plenty and is in close proximity of the things it doesn't.

Welcome to Jacksonville! Oakleaf is WAAAAY out in the suburbs; in fact it's not even in Duval county (which is Jax). You'll enjoy all of Jacksonville's parks and nature reserves, especially those out in the 'burbs where Oakleaf is. I can't really think of anything else about Oakleaf...

P.S. Make sure you check out downtown Jacksonville, and enjoy all it has to offer! ;)

Rush hour traffic will be a killer - I recently moved from a community right next to Oakleaf. Depending on where you work in town, there are alternative ways to get in and out there. THe area back there is going through a huge, and I mean huge, grwoth spurt with many things still to come. Enjoy and welcome.

I am from Long Island as well, and my sister, husband and her family are looking into Oakleaf as well as Eagle harbor? Eagles nest - or something like that.

They like the idea of clay co. schools and the cookie cutter neighborhood ( what can I say, he grew up in levitown).

Jacksonville's a pretty nice place overall. Hope you enjoy it. Hopefully you won't have to commute to downtown. yuk. (ahh the joy of living in riverside).

oh i almost forgot to mention. depending where on LI you are from, and if you are selling your overprices house there, enjoy having a mortgage cut in at lease half or possibly none at all.

Thanks!

I was watching the FirstCoast News and they were showing areas that experienced flooding, Wow, that was terrible. Waist deep water. I think its in Westside and some parts of Mandarin. Do you guys have a clue if Oakleaf Plantation had this experience??? What are the Pros and Cons in this area (aside from heavy traffic during rush hours- by the way is the rush hour there like Manhattan peak hours?) - its like seeing ants working, Lol..... Do you know any hospitals that are close to Oakleaf??

Oakleaf is ... well ... very far away from anything I would actually call "Jacksonville." As people have already mentioned, it's the proverbial suburban sprawl, sterile subdivision, 45+ minute commute lifestyle. I fear you might find your new home in Clay county somewhat oppressive and boring - depending on how old you are. It will be a big downgrade from the NYC metro, that's for sure.

I don't want to seem too negative about Clay county, but it is what it is. It's the definition of suburban sprawl, and all that comes with it. Just drive down Blanding Blvd during the afternoon. You'll see what I mean.

Of course, it has all the positives of sprawl too. Brand new construction everywhere. More house for your money. Neighborhood covenants that require everyone to keep their yard neat and clean. Better public schools (though the gap is really narrowing on that one).

In regards to your hospital question - no, there aren't any major ones nearby at all. St. Vincent's downtown or Baptist South might be the closest)

Oakleaf is ... well ... very far away from anything I would actually call "Jacksonville." As people have already mentioned, it's the proverbial suburban sprawl, sterile subdivision, 45+ minute commute lifestyle. I fear you might find your new home in Clay county somewhat oppressive and boring - depending on how old you are. It will be a big downgrade from the NYC metro, that's for sure.

I don't want to seem too negative about Clay county, but it is what it is. It's the definition of suburban sprawl, and all that comes with it. Just drive down Blanding Blvd during the afternoon. You'll see what I mean.

Of course, it has all the positives of sprawl too. Brand new construction everywhere. More house for your money. Neighborhood covenants that require everyone to keep their yard neat and clean. Better public schools (though the gap is really narrowing on that one).

In regards to your hospital question - no, there aren't any major ones nearby at all. St. Vincent's downtown or Baptist South might be the closest)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How far is OP Medical from Oakleaf? Wouldn't that be closer than St Vincent's?

I had never really considered OP hospital a "major" hospital (heard many disparaging things over the years). But I just looked online, and it does have 230 beds, which is on the small side, but still a full hospital. So that definitely would be the closest.

Here is a map of the Duval County hospitals from the TU. OP hospital would be located between the words "Orange Park" and "Blanding Boulevard."

80364_400.jpg

Well, from what I've read, the Cecil Commerce Center is the closest employment "hub" to the Oakleaf area. But I don't know just how many jobs are out there, and I think it's all manufacturing and the like....

Besides that, the other office areas are in Downtown and Southside (which is east of the river). But there's tons of commercial service jobs and "Class B" office space all over the city...

Jax- I'm located in HICKSville close Levittown, yes houses here are really way way way UP. Are you familiar with Forest Brooke?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no sorry i am not familiar with that area. i used to go to the ikea in hicksville, thats about it!

What hurricane? It hasn't been directly hit for a century or two I believe.

Hurricane Dora (cat 2) hit St Augustine in teh 50's but that's it.

Statistically, Jacksonville is the least likely place to be hit on the East coast from Delaware and below.

We have heat and oppresive humidity, but this is normal for anywhere in Florida. The biggest thing that we have that can be a problem is brush fires. During the early spring, all the forests are dead and dry, and there is usually significant wind, thus you have conditions that are prime for fires.

Hurricanes are always a threat. Dora was in 1964 (I Think cuz the Beatles came to JAX right after Dora). We were in the North side of the eye and we took a little bit of a beating. We have been threatened in the past by Hugo, Floyd, and all of those last year but we have not had a significant storm since Dora.

If you are worried about Natural Calamities, worry about the snakes and the spiders, not the hurricanes. Also, be very very careful of lightning. Florida was considered for a while to be the lightning capitol of the world until some place in Africa or India took the title. I personally know 3 people who have been struck by lightning. One lady I know got struck while she was sunbathing. It was sunny where she was, with clouds approaching.

All in all, you will like the weather here. It gets hot, but the fall, spring and winter are usually great. Fires are becoming a rare occurance as development pushes the wild forests further away from the city. Welcome to Florida!

Do you know any website where I can learn more about JAX? (aside from the Coj.net) and a good website that has daily news? ..........thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You also will want to watch out for the alligators and sharks. I know that over the last couple of years, St. Augustine has had a couple of shark attacks, but it happens all over the state as you can tell from the recent stories. The alligators are just a part of life here. Just run in a zig zag line and you should be able to avoid them if one starts to approach you in a menacing manner. I'm here in J'ville on my two week vacation, enjoying it, and I haven't encountered a shark or gator yet. I'm going to the beach later, so I'll be sure to watch out for the sharks.

Late

Archived