Moving To JAX?

frag24

Lake: Good overview of the intown neighborhoods. I was hoping you would post some of your great photos.

Rock2UF: I like all of the neighborhoods Lakelander mentioned, but I am obviously partial to Riverside. It is getting nicer by the day but is still more affordable than Avondale and San Marco (though not as cheap as Springfield and Murray Hill). It still has significant bohemian character but has good restaurants too. It is also the most self-contained neighborhood of all the old neighborhoods adjacent to downtown Jax. You can live here, work here, shop here (we've got a Publix too) and never even own a car (if that is what you want). Incidentally, I may have some apartments for rent. ;) So, I would obviously recommend Riverside (or any of the others really). Good luck on your upcoming move. PM me if I can give you some more info. And, Go Gators!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm going to be one of those yuppie transplants from the hinterlands coming to Jacksonville - and while I loved the beautiful blue bridge going into the city, I'm very concerned about what there is to do in around town.

Currently, I live in downtown Milwaukee - a great city for young people with tons of things to do downtown. I live in a warehouse loft with all the architectural details that I love - and I'd like to find something along those lines in Jacksonville (not necessary a loft - but tons of character and very close to an urban core).

Where do people live in this city? Is there a tight Urban core where theres restaurants and such? I'm wondering what a 2 bed/2ba condo (approx 1500 sq ft) will run me in such an area. Any websites that can help me with the lay of the land (every city claims its made up of neighborhoods - but not many give details on the character of each one).

My friends in town say San Marco and St. Augustine are nice places - however, I am open to newly revitalized or developing areas (read bad areas on rebound).

Any/all advice is appreciated...see you all in JAX in a few months!

Downtown is where you'll want to be. Over 7,400 units under contruction, approved or planned with many of them lofts. There's a new restaurant and/or club announced almost weekly (in downtown and the surround neighborhoods Lakelander pointed out) now and it's only getting better.

Downtown is where you'll want to be. Over 7,400 units under contruction, approved or planned with many of them lofts. There's a new restaurant and/or club announced almost weekly (in downtown and the surround neighborhoods Lakelander pointed out) now and it's only getting better.

What kind of price ranges are we talking about in Downtown?

• 1 month later...

what electric company does offer a great service and price (JEA, Florida Power and Light or Clay Electric Co-op)?

How about for water service (Clay County Utility Auth., St. John's Utility, JEA)? Please help.

:shades:

Since OLP is in Clay County you have to go with Clay Electric and Clay County Utility for water. I know for a fact that Clay Electric is lower priced by KWH than JEA, that and JEA had another rate hike recently. Even with the HOT weather down here I pay so much less with Clay Electric than I was used to paying in the Northeast when I lived up there. I've lived here since '97 and CE seldom raises thier prices...good service...more than pleased.

Since OLP is in Clay County you have to go with Clay Electric and Clay County Utility for water. I know for a fact that Clay Electric is lower priced by KWH than JEA, that and JEA had another rate hike recently. Even with the HOT weather down here I pay so much less with Clay Electric than I was used to paying in the Northeast when I lived up there. I've lived here since '97 and CE seldom raises thier prices...good service...more than pleased.

SierraHotelGIRL-

Happy Holidays!

Thanks for the info.

Anybody there?

-do you think its advisable to have your home inspected "newly built"?-do you happen to know anyone who has a good reputation (home inspector)?

thanks

Definitely. I would recommend that every new home one buys, have a thorough inspection performed. You want to make sure your home is built on a strong foundation and doesn't have faulty utilities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you have some actual details or were you just voicing an opinion?

Have you seen those mass produced things? I toured some models for my sister (who actually likes the suburban neighborhood thing) and the quality of some of those homes is horrendous. Flimsy walls, floors that already creaked, that faux-stucco board on the sides of the houses, cheap materials all around......

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

(I combined the many relocation threads into this one thread)

I have been on the prowl for jobs lately, and I came accross one in Jacksonville that looks appealing to me. Its located downtown, which is great. I have been going to Jacksonville since I was a kid, but I've not ventured into downtown as often I as would have liked (in retrospect of course).

What is the best neighborhood in or around downtown to live in? First ring suburbs are cool too. I am familiar with the area around San Marco Square (I've eaten/shopped there), but not anywhere else other than driving through. I know there are tons of apartments and condos coming to the area, but the odds are that I won't be able to afford them anyway :) My goal is to be able to be able to walk/bike to work, and perhaps use public transit if its convenient enough.

That brings me to my next question, which is do people bike much in or around dowtown?

• 9 months later...

Archived