Four Cool Cities Awards granted in Detroit

Wordsmith

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I just haven't been around the block enough times and keeping up like I should, but what is a "cool city"? Is it just a way for a city to get state money? Wonder what the folks in the really "cool" cities would think about Michigan's plan. I've been to plenty of cities that are pretty darn cool, but haven't been designated as such. I look to a city like Portland, OR. Hopefully this will lead to some of our cities- perhaps Detroit- turning "cool" as cool as Portland. I feel it's more important to have residents, organizations, and businesses design their own "cool cities". Jenny can't do magic tricks.

Peace

edited some crazy grammar :)

Cool Cities is really nothing more than a glitzy way to hand out grant money by bringing the issue of urban redevelopment into the limelight and to have Michigan cities raise their game in redveloping their cities.

Cool Cities simply mean that the government has deemed certain projects great redevelopment ideas, and will dole out the grant money accordingly. In a state where we've been having some tough times the past few years, this is a cheap and effective way to raise attention about urban redevelopment.

A little of subject, but my hometown of Lansing won it's first Cool Cities grant this year to redo and add to an urban, eastside park. The Cool Cities chooser's really seem to like smaller neighborhood projects as oppossed to huge proposals that may cause a lot of political wrangling.

Archived