Roanoke Pictures

electricmonk

275,000 at last count.  That includes the cities of Roanoke and Salem, and the counties of Roanoke, Botetourt, Craig and Franklin (where I am). 

The real number is closer to 300,000, when you consider the edges of counties served by metro Roanoke as primary trading and employemnt city, but Bedford County is part of the Lynchburg MSA and Mongtomery and Floyd Counties are part of the Blacksburg-Christiansburg MSA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was more than that. Shoot Norfolk has about that in the city. I like the Wachovia building.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few of the older office buildings downtown are being converted to condos and apartments but no new residential buildings have gone up. Maybe after the older ones are converted and prove that there is a market here someone will put something nice up.

This 12 story building is being converted to high dollar condos.

colonial1.jpg

photo originally from Roanoke City's GIS pages

There's talk of converting the Patrick Henry Hotel into apartments. I'm hoping something will done that I can afford to move into. Every project so far has been upscale and way out of my price range. A couple years ago I did look at an apartment downtown but the only window was a skylight so I passed on it.

A few of the older office buildings downtown are being converted to condos and apartments but no new residential buildings have gone up. Maybe after the older ones are converted and prove that there is a market here someone will put something nice up.

This 12 story building is being converted to high dollar condos.

colonial1.jpg

photo originally from Roanoke City's GIS pages

There's talk of converting the Patrick Henry Hotel into apartments. I'm hoping something will done that I can afford to move into. Every project so far has been upscale and way out of my price range. A couple years ago I did look at an apartment downtown but the only window was a skylight so I passed on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good luck on your find.

Good luck on your find.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll get one eventually. There are a lot more apartments in downtown than people here realize. It's just that most of them trade through word of mouth. You have to be talking to the right person at the right time to get a good one. A friend of mine got a great place with a view of the Wachiovia Tower from his kitchen and the whole city from his roof. The place used to be a recording studio so a couple of the interior walls are glass, it's really cool. He found it from a friend of a friend type deal. Lucky SOB, the rent is really cheap too.

Rus I wish you had kinder words like these for Richmond :) great pics btw guys. I've only been to Roanoke for a few times, including once for a soccer tourny. It's small but still quite nice. My hope is that as Virginia grows, it will have strength in its center (Richmond), to its east (HR), its north (NOVA), and its west (Roanoke). I'd love to see Roanoke experience growth. In time....

Rus I wish you had kinder words like these for Richmond :) great pics btw guys. I've only been to Roanoke for a few times, including once for a soccer tourny. It's small but still quite nice. My hope is that as Virginia grows, it will have strength in its center (Richmond), to its east (HR), its north (NOVA), and its west (Roanoke). I'd love to see Roanoke experience growth. In time....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The major problem that i have with Richmond is the attitude that i received from there about this area and the fact that the city gets more than its fair share of state funds but gobbles are tax revenue up and they do not like to give it back to us when we really need it. It is a fact that the city of Richmond gets well over the amount of its fair share. I'm tired of it and as big as we are being third on a list that we should be 2nd on. NOVA should be first and yet they are not either.

Why would any city not try to get as much $$$ as it could for its citizens? I still haven't seen a breakdown of state funding to the different parts of the state......

Oh yea, Richmond is the state capital as well which might have something to do with it. Just so you know, I, as well as many other people I know have nothing against HR. Your beef should be with the state gov't and not the city of Richmond. Do people in Roanoke feel shafted by the state? You won't hear me disrespectin' Roanoke or Richmond or Norfolk or Va. Beach because I am a Virginian.

sorry to be off topic! :) When can we see more pics of Roanoke? Any of historic neighborhoods?

Hope to get out and get some more shots this weekend. In the meantime here's a few of my Historic neighborhood. It's an interesting block. Crack dealers, prostitutes, arson, fights at 6am in the middle of the street, etc. etc. But I have a large apartment real cheap and it's very convenient. Everybody keeps saying this area is going to be the next to be rehabilitated, gentrified, restored, whatever. We'll see.

9am drug bust. There were 7 cop cars in all they had the whole intersection sealed off.

cops.jpg

Fire in the alley.

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

Firefighters after putting out a fire in an attic across the street.

fire3.jpg

Wintertime view from my attic. Chop a couple trees down and I would have a great view.

downtown_view3a.jpg

Not sure what was happening here.

cops2.jpg

Crackhouse a few doors up. Gets busted about once a week.

cops3.jpg

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, I like seeing the pictures of Engine 5 on scene. I am not sure what the incident is though. If you like the history of the department check out my site at http://roanokefirefighters.blogspot.com. I have plenty of pictures in the archives etc. Also you can check out http://www.local1132.org/history.htm for more history. Sorry the local's website is down, hopefully only for a day though, forgot to pay the bill. So check back soon.

I am sure I might catch some flack from some of you for my view of the new fire station #1, however I have reasons. I am not against new fire stations, I just do not want to see fire station #1 close down.

As for the Art Museum, I think that it will be good for the area, just not in the exact location they want to put it. I think that it needs its own location kind of like how the Civic Center ended up. That doesn't mean bulldoze a whole community, like they did for the Civic Center.

As far as Memorial Hospital, I think that it was 9 stories and they are adding 5 new ones.

If you have any questions email me at [email protected].

This is a pretty interesting forum. I think it is great that they are renovating the 12 story building downtown into condo's.

There is another building at Campbell and 1st that they are converting.

The fire department has trained in that building several times. It has been vacant for way too long.

I will try to add some pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this forum, I like seeing the pictures of Engine 5 on scene. I am not sure what the incident is though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A contractor started a small fire in the attic of the house to the right while doing some electrical work. Nothing big, I didn't even see any smoke.

Vdogg, it can get interesting here but it seems to be settling down some. There's still a long ways to go before the neighborhood can claim a turnaround. A couple blocks away more and more houses are being renovated but the property owners on my block haven't done anything yet. My landlord wants me to buy the house I'm in but I don't know. I'm tempted but I think it needs more work than I could afford a loan for.

A contractor started a small fire in the attic of the house to the right while doing some electrical work. Nothing big, I didn't even see any smoke.

Vdogg, it can get interesting here but it seems to be settling down some. There's still a long ways to go before the neighborhood can claim a turnaround. A couple blocks away more and more houses are being renovated but the property owners on my block haven't done anything yet. My landlord wants me to buy the house I'm in but I don't know. I'm tempted but I think it needs more work than I could afford a loan for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude get the house. You can learn how to do alot of the renovations yourself and thats what your bros are for is to help you on things like that. :thumbsup:

Archived