Roanoke Pictures

electricmonk

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's some new photos. I got a late start and it got dark before I could get all the shots I wanted.

DSC_0003.jpg

Victory Stadium

DSC_0006.jpg

Victory Stadium

DSC_0008.jpg

Site of the first building in the Biomedical Park.

DSC_0014.jpg

Looking north towards downtown.

DSC_0019.jpg

Looking south along Jefferson St. The grain towers and all those buildings are scheduled for demolition.

DSC_0023.jpg

Why we're called the "Star City of the South".

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

The Boxley Building

DSC_0033.jpg

Patrick Henry Hotel

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

Next week time and weather permitting I'll try to get out and get some photos of various construction projects going on.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the mayor and the city, the census estimates are simply innaccurate... they stated that the population is now back above 200k and growing (it would be hard not to given the incredible amount of condos/homes/apartments coming online)... It has a metro of over 1.2 million. The surrounding counties have strong growth rates ...for example, Chesterfield is fast approaching 300k residents... It's not a great metropolis, but its not just a dot on the map (neither is Roanoke btw)...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Monk, I wish you could snap and post some pictures of the Jefferson Center and tell me more about it. I'm a theatre freak and fascinated by such structures. Is it an old school?

I remember when downtown was dominated by The American Theatre on your main street. It was Roanoke's movie palace and occasionally hosted stage presentations - for example, ther Miss Virginia contest was always held there. It, unfortunately, was demolished. Does anyone know what is on the site now?

PS: ALL of your pictures are terrific. Thanks for posting them.

Have you guys heard that the train museum is leaving Roanoke? They building one here and I'm wondering if they are closing the one there or just building a entire one from scratch. I know the one that wrecked, which i was in when it did, is up in Roanoke, the old 611.

I hope you're wrong, Russ. I think the Roanoke museum's staying put.

I hope you're wrong, Russ. I think the Roanoke museum's staying put.

The reason that I ask is cause my pops works for NS and I seen at their hq that they are building a Museum in Norfolk and he thinks that they will take the things up in Roanoke and move them here. Hopefully they will keep both but it would be nice to have a reunion with the 611 after I was in that wreck. I need to find more info out. I wouldn't wish it gone for you guys.

Monk, I wish you could snap and post some pictures of the Jefferson Center and tell me more about it. I'm a theatre freak and fascinated by such structures. Is it an old school?

I remember when downtown was dominated by The American Theatre on your main street. It was Roanoke's movie palace and occasionally hosted stage presentations - for example, ther Miss Virginia contest was always held there. It, unfortunately, was demolished. Does anyone know what is on the site now?

PS: ALL of your pictures are terrific. Thanks for posting them.

Thanks and my pleasure.

I'll try to remember to get some shots of the Jefferson Center my next time out with the camera. It's only about 3 blocks from my apartment. One of those things that I see so often that I kind of forget that it's even there. I found this old photo of it on another website. And yeah it was a high school up until the early 1960's.

jeffersona1.jpg

Here's some old photos of the American.

amer5.jpg

americant.jpg

americanmarquee.jpg

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the old FNEB building later First Union then Wachovia Bank now Carillion Hospital building is on the site now. They were removing the Wachovia sign just last weekend before I took this photo. I'll find out for sure later on if that's where the American was. After looking at the middle picture I'll say that 99.99999% sure that's where it was. That looks like the old FNEB building to t's right and that building is still there.

roanoke110605_0021.jpg

Source for tons of old Roanoke photos Old Roanoke Some really great stuff there.

Archived