Empire's Heilig-Levine/Odd Fellows/Highland Bldg

jlblaes

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greg Hatem has done some great things for DT Raleigh. Preserving these old bldgs brings so much character to the city and hopefully will be a part of DT's rebirth, by providing a nice connection between Moore Square and Fayetteville Street (Also, Hargett will become a two way street next year). How cool would it be to have an office or loft in that bldg?

I think this will be a great addition to downtown -- especially as a connector. This, along with the Times buidling (Hatem is also renovating), should definitely help connect City Market/Moore Square with Fayetteville Street.

As an aside, I didn't realize that the Heilig-Levine bulding was all three of those, I just assumed it was the one on the corner.

• 1 year later...

This is a good sign that office space is continuing to move east of Wilmington. Before PE II, there was only the Montageau (sp?) building, with Cafe Luna and the offices above Hamilton Drugs and parts of City Market.

It is also good to see Hatem's NE Hargett/Wilmington corner fill up with this, NCSU School of Design, the parking/ambassador office, Sellars Beauty shop and eventually the Kitchen. Hopefully this will motivate the other three corners' -- M&F, the ladie's botique, and the tattoo shop -- owners to spruce things up a bit.

• 6 months later...

Bringing this back from the dead...

A lot going on right in this area of Wilmington in terms of retail (see the coffee house retail topic) and of course the Helig-Levine bldg is continuing to be refurbished. There's a sign on the facade wecoming Cherokee Partners to DTR--they will be filling the upper floors of this bldg. According to Empire's site, the renovation will be complete by 2nd qtr 2007 (Apr-July).

The old Ral Furniture Store next door to Helig Levine on Hargett is supposed to be complet by Q3 2007.

This project also included the NCSU School of Design's downtown stuido over Park Raleigh's office/ticket payment space and Riveara. The spaces along Hargett look really nice, and the construction fence has recently gone from plywood to just wire, so I guess it will be gone soon. Then I can stay on the same side of Hargett from my house to F Street! Yea! It will be interesting to see the tenant mix. Before the rennovations, it had a barber shop and a bail bonds/bill payment office.

Driving by, you can see a big Coca-Cola mural on a west-facing wall in the the second or third floor mid-block. I wonder if Cherokee has any job openings...

Well...she left all of that and won't be doing the restaurant and cooking school in the Lafayette. She's doing Vin and is opening another restaurant in downtown, apparently. I went to the Times Bar for lunch on Friday and it was still really good.

She's handled it with a lot more class than Scott Howell did when he went running back to Durham proclaiming he'd never return to Raleigh (that's the really kind way of putting how he handled it. He has his demons to deal with...I'll leave it at that).

I took some pictures there on Thursday morning, but they're still on my camera...

I was looking forward to the Kitchen's soul food and long communal tables. I think someone on here said Nemonade's owner was going to open something in the corner space?

Anything by the Urban Food Group could fit in here, or anywhere downtown, easily.

Article in today's N&O about how this renovation is "green":

Old outside, green within

Apparently, since this is an old building, it's basically impossible to make the entire structure LEED certified. However, there is also a classification for renovations in which a building's interior can earn LEED certification, and that's what Empire and Cherokee are going for here. Reportedly, Greenfire is aiming for this certification with the CCB building in Durham, among others.

• 1 month later...

It was reported in the N&O today that Cherokee Investment Partners is building a new headquarters in DT Raleigh. This is big because Cherokee is a very successful international specialty private equity firm based in Raleigh. Hopefully it will attract other similar firms. Does anyone have any details? Maybe a rendering?

• 3 weeks later...

Was just by here today and the corner window is now clear. Looks like they will host some art exhibitions, likely on the Artsplosure weekend coming later this month. If Neomonde is going in that space, I think they will come later, and Empire can use the space temporarily for the art displays (I assume). Also Cherokee's space looks nearly done along the Hargett side of the bldg.

I walked by here last week and it looks like its really coming along. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cherokee folks moving in within 30-45 days or so. It looks really good IMO.

Now I just wish they could move along to the Brass Grill and rip off that gawd awful metal facade and spruce up the ladies hat shop. That would be a pretty nice looking intersection when its all said and done (with the exception of the air brush/tatoo place).

I walked by here last week and it looks like its really coming along. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cherokee folks moving in within 30-45 days or so. It looks really good IMO.

Now I just wish they could move along to the Brass Grill and rip off that gawd awful metal facade and spruce up the ladies hat shop. That would be a pretty nice looking intersection when its all said and done (with the exception of the air brush/tatoo place).

Archived